• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A years income in June"

Collapse

• Mailman
    replied
    Mate...if you are leaving blighty for ever just take the money and run!

By the time IR realise you have done a runner you will be laid up in an old folks home in ganawamba!

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    I have spoken about this with the Director, and shareholder, (both me) and am happy to live with dissolving the company without calling that debt in.
    As has been mentioned talk to your accountants but...

You will probably find what you propose is in fact absolutely fine. Your accountants will then explain why it's tax neutral either way.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by suchabigask
    Nice one - that all sounds good. Now I have just realised I got £2k out as a Directors loan 5 months ago - do I need to pay that back (and then pay it out to myself again as a divi) or just forgo it as a bad debt on dissolving the company.

I have spoken about this with the Director, and shareholder, (both me) and am happy to live with dissolving the company without calling that debt in.

Is that taking the piss?
    I doubt the IR will let you close the company down on that basis. You really need to speak to your accountant.

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    I have no Idea but find the Idea really funny

Leave a comment:

• suchabigask
    replied
    Nice one - that all sounds good. Now I have just realised I got £2k out as a Directors loan 5 months ago - do I need to pay that back (and then pay it out to myself again as a divi) or just forgo it as a bad debt on dissolving the company.

Is that taking the piss?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    The tax bands are not pro rata. In effect each month (or quarter or whatever)you take what you have earned since the start of the tax year, calculate the total tax due, subtract the tax paid last time you did it and send off the cheque. So if you stop earning after three months, that what you get taxed on.

Leave a comment:

• Bradley
    replied
    Originally posted by suchabigask
    I have been contracting here for a few years and getting set to shoot back down under.

If I head off in May, can I get my £18k retained earnings out as a dividend and not incur the top up tax? Thats a stupid question - what I mean is are the taxable bands pro rated based on how much of the tax year I was in the country, or do I get access to the whole personal allowance + the next £30k odd at the basic rate?

Cheers to you all
    Depends on how they'll treat it in Oz - it could be a salary or a dividend or a capital gain depending on how you proceed with the winding up.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    I'm pretty sure it's not pro rata. If you are not ordinarily resident here you might want to investigate paying after you have left. In any event you might want to investigate the CGT regime that capital payments would be under.

Leave a comment:

• suchabigask
    started a topic A years income in June

A years income in June

I have been contracting here for a few years and getting set to shoot back down under.

If I head off in May, can I get my £18k retained earnings out as a dividend and not incur the top up tax? Thats a stupid question - what I mean is are the taxable bands pro rated based on how much of the tax year I was in the country, or do I get access to the whole personal allowance + the next £30k odd at the basic rate?

Cheers to you all

Working...
X