• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How much is your accountant?"

Collapse

• crack_ho
    replied
    I was notified about the NW increase towards the end of May.
    Just wondering if they were putting up the prices for the long term clients exactly 6 months into each individiuals financial year. As this would make it more expensive for people to consider leaving.

Leave a comment:

• diesel
    replied
    what ever you do dont use Brooksons!
    (in fact most accountants are cheaper than Brooksons!)

Leave a comment:

• Newby
    replied
    Originally posted by munson View Post
    So, trying to get this back to the original question:

How much do you pay your accountant and who are they? Would you recommend them?
    Hey I feel bad for my original cynicism, i am paying the same as you were, and I am very happy.

pm me if you want more details

Leave a comment:

• Robot
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Got my letter today, so the monthly fee in increasing from £60 to £75 / month.

A 25% increase then, not happy about that.
    Will become slightly more come 4th Jan 2011 !

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Hi all,

I'm currently with Nixon Williams and just found out their price is increasing to £75+VAT per month (= £88.13 with 17.5% VAT).

Got my letter today, so the monthly fee in increasing from £60 to £75 / month.

A 25% increase then, not happy about that.

Leave a comment:

• SackmanandCo
    replied
    the range is about £70- £120 pcm depending on various factors. for recommendations speak with other contractors who have accountants or check out their credibility by looking at their website. If they have lots of testimonials from real people, this gives them extra credibility.

Leave a comment:

• munson
    replied
    Back on track

So, trying to get this back to the original question:

Leave a comment:

• THEPUMA
    replied
    It all depends what you want for your money, the short back and sides or bespoke tax advice.

We would be considered expensive on here but I doubt if you added your tax liability to your accountancy fees many would beat us. Which is backed up by the fact that from memory I can only think of 2 clients that have left us over fees.

One came back a couple of years later and the other called me on Tuesday to query some advice his new accountant has given him. I saved him £24K tax by suggesting an alternative way of doing what he wanted to do and he has consequently asked me to requote for his business.

PUMA

Leave a comment:

• valluvan
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Yeah I think that's the "premier" service.

If they are putting them up (I've not seen/heard anything from them yet) it might be the kick up the backside I need to go it alone.
    Same here.Thinking of going it alone.It can't be that bad i suppose

Leave a comment:

• kontracta Matt
    replied
    I guess it depends on what you want from your accountant that determines whether you move or stay. There's a load of us out there and everyone tends to offer slightly different things as I'm sure you know. Mainly do you want much input from your accountant from day-to-day or do you just want to get on with life and then sign things when you need them (and thus treat your accountant as a necessary evil)?

If it is the former, a good website search will help in the first instance to get a flavour of what you'll get, a check of credentials to back the claims up will also help. Plus ask around your family and friends and see what they have to say - you can get away from the selling aspect of things then.

Finally if it's the latter and you just can't be bothered to do this plus your current guys are OK then just stay put as £75 is OK if you're just going on price alone. (I'm not affiliated to them by the way - check if you need to!)

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by Newby View Post
    Haven't they always been £75? Alan, looks like your competition are trying to sabotage you!!!

Nice try, but I doubt anyone is falling for it!!
    Yeah I think that's the "premier" service.

If they are putting them up (I've not seen/heard anything from them yet) it might be the kick up the backside I need to go it alone.

Leave a comment:

• valluvan
    replied
    Originally posted by SackmanandCo View Post
    That is probably about average but not everything is about price
    Same here.While NW service has been good so far, an increase of 16£/Month for no difference in service can't be justified.

Would your end client/agency give you an increase in rate for the same sort of work/service you provide just because you asked for it and they have been using your services for years?

Leave a comment:

• munson
    replied
    Originally posted by Newby View Post
    Haven't they always been £75? Alan, looks like your competition are trying to sabotage you!!!

No, this is genuine, I'm very happy with Nixon Williams, just shopping around to see what else is on offer. According to the letter they sent to their long-term customers, their published prices have been at £75+VAT for some time, however for their long-term customers they have delayed the price rise until now, last month I was paying £60+VAT=£70.50.

Leave a comment:

• SackmanandCo
    replied
    That is probably about average but not everything is about price

Leave a comment:

• Newby
    replied
    Lol

Hi all,

I'm currently with Nixon Williams and just found out their price is increasing to £75+VAT per month (= £88.13 with 17.5% VAT).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X