• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Budget Update

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Budget Update"

Collapse

• SackmanandCo
    replied
    I dont think the review of IR35 will mean lower taxes. Speculation continues that NIC could be charged on dividemds!!

Leave a comment:

• maxima
    replied
    Yeah.. I just realised myself that it was rubbish what I said

Leave a comment:

• lje
    replied
    Originally posted by maxima View Post
    can anyone explain how increasing of CGT gives anyone extra?

Most of IT contractors use schema: min salary + max dividends. may be I am missing something but CGT is taken from dividends so we are going to lose 10% more or what? CGT was 18%...
    I believe that they meant the reduction in corporation tax.

CGT is not taken from dividends. CGT is only payable when you sell an asset. It normally is not important for contractors although you may use the enterpreneur's allowance when shutting the company.

Leave a comment:

• maxima
    replied
    Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
    CGT reduction probably gives me an extra £700
    can anyone explain how increasing of CGT gives anyone extra?

Most of IT contractors use schema: min salary + max dividends. may be I am missing something but CGT is taken from dividends so we are going to lose 10% more or what? CGT was 18%...

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by SackmanandCo View Post
    what do people think the outcome of the IR35 review will be?
    Much higher tax for all contractors. 100% certain.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
    Flat rate for IT contractors up to 14.5% from 13%. So someone billing £100K + VAT will pay make an additional profit per annum of £375, before taking account of any additional input VAT they might pay.

PUMA
    Jurassic Park....

Leave a comment:

• SackmanandCo
    replied
    what do people think the outcome of the IR35 review will be?

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    Only mention of IR35 is 2.74 The Government remains committed to a review of IR35 and small business tax and will release further details shortly.
    Looks like we have a stay of execution here.

But as a result of the IR35 review, we will pay LESS tax? I don't think so.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    A good budget for contractors?
    Defo....

Only mention of IR35 is

2.74 The Government remains committed to a review of IR35 and small business tax and will release further details shortly.

What we already knew....

Leave a comment:

• THEPUMA
    replied
    Flat rate for IT contractors up to 14.5% from 13%. So someone billing £100K + VAT will pay make an additional profit per annum of £375, before taking account of any additional input VAT they might pay.

PUMA

Leave a comment:

• Dearnla
    replied
    So the increase in Personal Tax allowance will save you £170, but as soon as you spend over £8k on VAT-able goods/services that gets swallowed by the new rate.

CGT reduction probably gives me an extra £700, so add that to the savings on personal tax means that I have an extra £870 disposable income. As long as I don't spend more than approx £40k on VAT-able things, I'm (a very few) quids in.

Just about tax-neutral for me.....

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    A good budget for contractors?

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Reduction in capital allowances from 20% to 18% - and reduction in annual investment allowance to £25,000.

Leave a comment:

• rawly
    replied
    Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
    VAT up to 20%.
    It would be good if the Flat Rates stayed the same IN aasociation with CT falling to 20% that's a bit of a gain!!!!

However, I fear not!

Leave a comment:

• THEPUMA
    replied
    Headline rate of CGT up to 28%.

Entrepreneurs' relief left intact so effective rate still 10%.

Personal allowance up by £1K for basic rate taxpayers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X