• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Backdated VAT invoice"

Collapse

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Did you issue invoices without VAT before your registration came through (your post seems to indicate you did)? If so, this seems to simply be the VAT on those invoices.

It's usual practice to apply for VAT registration and issue net invoices whilst you're waiting. Then, when your registration comes through, you go back and re-issue those invoices with VAT added.

Check your VAT registration certificate for the date of registration - if it covers the period you issued net invoices, you need to re-issue them (or do a VAT only invoice as Hays are requesting).

Leave a comment:

• Underscore Pt2
    replied
    Its just backdated vat.....it took me two years to get my vat registrations through....i had to back bill for 40k!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Monkeynuts View Post
    All I'm saying is none of my invoices are missing VAT ..That the question !!!
    Then you aren't going to solve this without talking to Hays.

Good luck getting through...

Leave a comment:

• Monkeynuts
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    We could counter the argument by saying why do we need to get involved? It's not our problem either. The reason why peeps here are telling you to contact your accountant, is because you are paying them to help with making sure your finances are in order... isn't it? If you know what invoices are lacking VAT, just work out the 17.5% (and/or 15% if before 31st Dec 09), and send the agency a VAT Bill. Also, are you VAT registered from when you company is formed or from a different date? If it is from a different date, then work out how much VAT you are required to charge the agency and charge them that amount. What's difficult about it? Pick up the dog and bone and call the agency and your accountant to see how best to approach your issue.

All I'm saying is none of my invoices are missing VAT ..That the question !!!

Never mind. Thanks for your help.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Why does my accountant need to get involved ?

I am up to date with everything. All VAT has been paid to me by the agency and passed on. Is this a problem for the agency and not mine ?
    Speaking to the agency is a waste of time you can never get through. Hence I am on here....
    We could counter the argument by saying why do we need to get involved? It's not our problem either. The reason why peeps here are telling you to contact your accountant, is because you are paying them to help with making sure your finances are in order... isn't it? If you know what invoices are lacking VAT, just work out the 17.5% (and/or 15% if before 31st Dec 09), and send the agency a VAT Bill. Also, are you VAT registered from when you company is formed or from a different date? If it is from a different date, then work out how much VAT you are required to charge the agency and charge them that amount. What's difficult about it? Pick up the dog and bone and call the agency and your accountant to see how best to approach your issue.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

I am up to date with everything. All VAT has been paid to me by the agency and passed on. Is this a problem for the agency and not mine ?
    Speaking to the agency is a waste of time you can never get through. Hence I am on here....
    Your posts are now not making sense if the agency is up to date with their VAT payments then send them an email saying so.

Otherwise find out from your own invoices - after all you said you were up to date with paperwork - what dates that you haven't claimed VAT for. Then ask your accountant how to raise an invoice for this missing VAT. Then raise the invoice.

Leave a comment:

• Monkeynuts
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Yes you do. And so do they.

Also you have an accountant. Speak to them about this, they'll explain what you need to do. This transition period is pretty straightforward (I was in the same position with Hays when I went through it.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Yes you do. And so do they.

Also you have an accountant. Speak to them about this, they'll explain what you need to do. This transition period is pretty straightforward (I was in the same position with Hays when I went through it.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Hi there, tax simpleton in need of advice.

Not been contracting for long.

I work as a Limited Company and am carefull with book keeping as well as employing an accountant.

Initally for two months i was on self billing until my vat registration came through. Then after that the agency started sending me VAT which i put into a separate bank account and pay every quarter.

I work for HAYS and use their pay online system so i don't have to raise invoices on a weekly basis

Hays just sent me an e-mail

"You have come into query because we require a Backdated VAT Invoice for £999.00

Please raise invoice and send to myself ASAP"

What does this mean ?

No dates or anything...

Presumably this is vat they have not paid before i got vat registered for the two months before i got my vat number...

Surely I need to know the dates before i raise an invoice?
    Hi Monkey. I find picking up the phone and asking the agency is the best approach.

Leave a comment:

• Monkeynuts
    started a topic Backdated VAT invoice

Backdated VAT invoice

Hi there, tax simpleton in need of advice.

Not been contracting for long.

I work as a Limited Company and am carefull with book keeping as well as employing an accountant.

Initally for two months i was on self billing until my vat registration came through. Then after that the agency started sending me VAT which i put into a separate bank account and pay every quarter.

I work for HAYS and use their pay online system so i don't have to raise invoices on a weekly basis

Hays just sent me an e-mail

"You have come into query because we require a Backdated VAT Invoice for £999.00

Please raise invoice and send to myself ASAP"

What does this mean ?

No dates or anything...

Presumably this is vat they have not paid before i got vat registered for the two months before i got my vat number...

Surely I need to know the dates before i raise an invoice?

Working...
X