• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: ir35 concerns

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "ir35 concerns"

Collapse

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Contract duration has nothing to with determining IR35 status

Actually nothing on it's own determines IR35 status, you could look at any contractor and get 10 different opinions on him being ir35able or not

Also as mentioned above, self employed has nothing to do with IR35, as it is fully aimed at Ltd's because as registered self employed you are already paying full wack in tax and none of it is dividends. Actually the only ones in "danger" is the client because of your self employed status.

Honestly go Ltd or go Employee, self employed is worst of both worlds

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    In which case, why are you considering a position where you have no tenure, no holiday pay, no SSP and sick pay, no pension and no employment rights...??? That is why contractors charge more than permies, after all.

Either freelance it or get a permanent role; what you have at the moment is the worst of both worlds.
    Last edited by malvolio; 5 December 2005, 18:28.

Leave a comment:

• meuk
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio

If your client has said "I want you build a website that looks like this" but hasn't told you how to do it, if you can sub some or all of your work to someone else, if you don't get paid if there's no work for you to do and if you can keep working with your current clients in parallel, then you are probably outside IR35 anyway. Make sure your contract covers all those points explicitly.
    Thanks for the replies.

I think I am within IR35, as get paid on regular basis like an employee, only work for them and get paid regardless of work load. This is why I am wondering about the length of time I can work in this way.

They are talking about turning it into a full time position, as technically I am like an employee now, although the downside is a lot less take home each month after tax than when you are self employed.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Now repeat after me : I get this terrible feeling of Deja Vu...

You don't become an employee as a result of IR35. That is just one of the taxman's myths (there are many - like "avoidance is bad and should be eliminated")

If your client has said "I want you build a website that looks like this" but hasn't told you how to do it, if you can sub some or all of your work to someone else, if you don't get paid if there's no work for you to do and if you can keep working with your current clients in parallel, then you are probably outside IR35 anyway. Make sure your contract covers all those points explicitly.

Don't become part and parcel of the organisaton anyway, act as a separate supplier at all times. You can safely ignore the equipment provision thing, since a lot of sensible companies don't allow alien hardware on their networks, but use your own if you can.

Pay Bauer and Cottrel £150-ish to vet your contract and negotiate any necessary changes.

Given your trade and your previous working practices, I shouldn't worry about it too much.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Sole traders are unaffected by IR35, I believe. The problem you have is that the client (or agent) becomes liable to pay your NICs if Hector decides that you are an employee, and for this reason most clients/agents will refuse to hire sole traders on long contracts.

Leave a comment:

• meuk
    started a topic ir35 concerns

ir35 concerns

i am a self-employed (not ltd co) web designer. I have been working from home, using my own machine and having multiple clients.

i have recently gotten a 6 month contract working for a design company as a freelance contractor. based on these rules
    IR35

I would actually be counted as an employee. How long can I work for someone as a freelance consultant, before I legally should be an employee under IR35.

thanks

Working...
X