• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Lunch Breaks

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lunch Breaks"

Collapse

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Some clients insist you take a break because they see you as 'their' employee albeit temporary.

some clients dont mind if you work all day without a break.

Just depends but if the client insists, you have to fall in line.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    I tried not taking a lunch but current client didn't like it and refused to sign timeshet unless I put in 30 min break (even if I hadn't taken it) for health & safety.

though I'm sure its got nothing to do with health & safety - but hey ho.

So now I DO take a 30 minute break.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    My last client had a policy of all contractors taking an hour for lunch, because otherwise the permies might get the idea they were entitled to work lunch and go home early too.

Usually when I hear anything like that my approach is to just ignore it and adopt the "I assume it didn't apply to me" defence if ever asked (which you never will be), but on this occasion I decided to play nice as I needed the gig and didn't want to give them any excuses.

But that's the only time I've ever had any comment about hours. As always, if they're happy with your work, and you're around when you need to be for meetings or whatever, nobody is going to care about this sort of thing. It only comes into play if they're looking for excuses to get rid of you.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Do an hour or two per week working from home to make up any shortfall.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    20 minutes after 6 hours is the norm.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ff/DG_10029451

Of course you are hardly likely to take your co to an ET if they don't provide it...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I think it is more me that is worried about doing the full 40 hours so that I get paid the maximum!
    Are you getting paid daily or hourly?

At the end of the day what are they really going to do? Sack you for an arguable hour a week? no way that will happen. The very worst is the permies will just label you a money grabbing work to rule contractor doing the bare minimum and getting big money for it. Lets be honest, I did 10 hour a day at one gig and still got that from some people so nuts to them. You are never gonna get away from that one.

It may affect your chances of an extension of course. If your paid hourly why not offer to lose and hour or so instead of expecting to be paid the max for doing the absolute minimum (and less) for a chance of further work?

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    contractors are known for coming late ,leaving early and long lunch breaks
    why break the tradition

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    just work at twice your normal speed for a couple of hours a day to make up the shortfall

Leave a comment:

• ionna
    replied
    hey,

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm an ASP.NET developer working through an agency so I have to complete a timesheet every week. The client doesn't really bother - they are pretty flexible so I've been eating sarnies at my desk. I think it is more me that is worried about doing the full 40 hours so that I get paid the maximum!

But since I am both employer (it's my limited company that I work for) and employee I'm worried that I am in breach of the working time regulations by choosing not to take my breaks and hoped someone would know if what I'm doing is legally OK - or at least is probably legally OK...

cheers
    ionna

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Maslins View Post
    There's employment laws about taking a minimum X minutes break for every Y hours worked, but as a contractor, you're not an employee, so the rules don't apply to you.
    When working, you are always an employee of a company, so the rules will still apply. As I said, though, it's an issue that needs to be resolved with your employer, not your client.

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    There's employment laws about taking a minimum X minutes break for every Y hours worked, but as a contractor, you're not an employee, so the rules don't apply to you.

I suggest you either follow TheFaQQer's advice and just bill the client whilst taking a lunch, or, if you're a bit more concerned, take in sandwiches and work through lunch. If the client comments, simply say you're ensuring you still do your 40 hours/week and can't start earlier/leave later due to children commitments.

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    If you are in a professional role (Manager, PM, developer, BA... that sort of thing) that I doubt anyone will complain, or even notice. If you were a cleaner for example, where they are generally tightly controlled with time cards and such like, then it would probably be different.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Doesn't the working time directive say something about needing to take a break? Of course, that it an issue for your employer rather than your client.

I wouldn't bother about it - in fact, I'd take an hour for lunch and bill it anyway. Only cut back if the client moans too loudly about it.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I am suprised you didn't sort this out before you started. Personally I would work 9-5 and see if anyone objects. If your work if fine then I doubt there will be an issue.

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    What does your contract say?

In my present role the agency timesheet system won't accept anything less than 30 mins for lunch. I have explained this to the timesheet authoriser and adjust my start time accordingly if I don't take a break.

Other places it won't matter a jot.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X