• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Morality of working through a Composite Umbrella"

Collapse

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by Flinty
    I send my daughter to a private school, have private health insurance and didn't phone the police earlier this week after my wife's car was broken into!
    Just the sort of socially irresponsible capitalist scum we need on this board. Welcome aboard.

Leave a comment:

• Flinty
    replied
    In response to the original post

I send my daughter to a private school, have private health insurance and didn't phone the police earlier this week after my wife's car was broken into!

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Looks like that's the first and last we're going to hear of Comrade Miler. A pity, because I was genuinely interested to hear whether or not he arranged his affairs with a social conscience, striving at all times to pay the maximum tax possible.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
    go there my friend and pay 4% tax
    But keep the money you save to pay Hector's reclaimed tax and penalties - unless, like Auntie Rebecca, you can leave the country at the drop of a hat...

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    Can someone pls provide some nice links to offshore schemes I can join, cause my accountant's shoe-laces are so straight his shoes double up as stilts :-)
    go there my friend and pay 4% tax

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Actually, in your confused way, you're right. We would not complain about IR35 or S660 if it were evenly applied across the spectrum. If there were one set of consistent rules (and not necessarily a full-blown flat tax regime) so you, me, Phillip Green and the couple with three kids and £12k a year were all taxed on the same basis, I think we would all go along with it.

Leave a comment:

• morphman
    replied
    And whats with all the "not worth listening to" avatars? lol,

Leave a comment:

• morphman
    replied
    If all monies were taxed at the same rate, we wouldnt have a problem paying more tax. the more you earn, the more you pay right?
    But when its skewed in the loser's favour (ie the less tax you pay, the more you get), its difficult to swallow.

Ill use my everlasting lunchtime argument of the NHS.

I pay 40% tax on 50% of my income, yet I get less NHS benefit than a dole dosser paying 0%. He doesnt have to pay for presciptions, yet I do, even though my tax and national insurance contributions far outweigh his.

Only taxmen think the tax system is fair to high earners.

Can someone pls provide some nice links to offshore schemes I can join, cause my accountant's shoe-laces are so straight his shoes double up as stilts :-)

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    May I posit that actually the economy is suffering because too much tax is being paid.

If less tax was paid then less could be squandered on public services and more of those people employed in such would actually be spending their productive working lives in the private sector making the country richer instead of acting as a drag.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by WageSlave
    We do not know, but they seek him here, they seek him there, they seek him everywhere...
    Sounds to me like he might be a dedicated follower of fashion. The ponce.

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Who's he?
    We do not know, but they seek him here, they seek him there, they seek him everywhere...

Leave a comment:

• bfg
    replied
    Don't think we'll be hearing from the troll until Monday, probably using his work computer on his employers time.

A thief is a thief after all.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by WageSlave
    Damn! You are even more elusive than Mr Lucifer Box!
    Who's he?

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    Taxdodger

Originally posted by Miler
    What an appalling attitude. The economy is suffering as a direct result of your greed.

The lost revenue runs into 100's of millions annually. This is cash that is desperately needed for public services.

This will be brought to the attention of the IR and, hopefully, these schemes will be outlawed.

Then you'll have to start stealing your kids' pocket money again...
    I also try and pay as little as I can, using legit tax avoidance schemes where necessary. I don't do it out of greed or because I don't care about 'society' and the public sector.

I do it for another very good reason: the government have given us a catch 22 scenario with the IR35 legislation - screw them or be screwed. There is nothing in between. How can it possibly be right for contractors to be 'disguised employees' for tax purposes yet pay two lots of NI - employers and employees for being what should be a sole trader status (which is denied us because limited companies are all we're allowed to be if working through agencies). We don't get full employee protections either, particularly if we opt out so we shouldn't be disguised employees for tax purposes.

Contactors have to put up with far more risks than you're average permy. Fact. Try telling the IR that though.

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    Originally posted by ancient
    I don't load tapes.
    Damn! You are even more elusive than Mr Lucifer Box!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X