• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Building a home office"

Collapse

• PhilAtBFCA
    replied
    Originally posted by buddingarchitect View Post
    Hi,

New to this forum. I wish to convert my loft in my home to be used solely as an office.

Can someone tell me if the expense of converting the loft and kitting out with PCs, etc... is something I can pay for using my company account?

Its about £30K to convert the loft and then of course there's the cost of office furniture, computers, servers, etc...

Thanks.
    There are some good sites arround for this question, you could try Shedworking.com ( I think ) and Enterprisenation.com , we also cover it here.

Phil

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
    For 10k (excluding shipping) you can get a small house, stick it in the garden and work from there.
    Actually he is right - I built my home office 5m x 3m in the garden for around this price, though the underfloor heating, lighting, electricity, co-ax and 2 x cat 5 cables from the main house cost another £1500.

Leave a comment:

• krytonsheep
    replied
    For 10k (excluding shipping) you can get a small house, stick it in the garden and work from there.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
    Why not?? Just make one up if it will save you 30 grand.

PZZ
    Your are not for real - this is a PZZ take wind up.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    What with someone else's company name, address and a real VAT number on?
    Why not?? Just make one up if it will save you 30 grand.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    color laser printer??

PZZ
    What with someone else's company name, address and a real VAT number on?

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    hmmmm - so a professional tax dodger then eh?

umm - where do you get these invoices from?
    color laser printer??

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Best bet is to get hold of an invoice for a mini computer or similar for the same price as your loft conversion, write the kit off over 3 years and then scrap it. No one will be none the wiser.

Wife got her last 2 kitchens that way.

PZZ
    hmmmm - so a professional tax dodger then eh?

umm - where do you get these invoices from?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I wish to convert my loft in my home to be used solely as an office.
    Best bet is to get hold of an invoice for a mini computer or similar for the same price as your loft conversion, write the kit off over 3 years and then scrap it. No one will be none the wiser.
    Its about £30K to convert the loft
    Maybe he needs an invoice for an entire mainframe? Or a whole bunch of Oracle server licenses

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    You would also be ellibiable for business rates if the room is soley used for business.

Best to do the ironing in there as well to be safe

Wife got her last 2 kitchens that way.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    You would also be ellibiable for business rates if the room is soley used for business.

Best to do the ironing in there as well to be safe

Leave a comment:

• nevergoingtopay
    replied
    Hi,

New to this forum. I wish to convert my loft in my home to be used solely as an office.

Can someone tell me if the expense of converting the loft and kitting out with PCs, etc... is something I can pay for using my company account?

Its about £30K to convert the loft and then of course there's the cost of office furniture, computers, servers, etc...

Thanks.
    I believe you can but there are issues around when you sell your house and you may have to pay tax on the office part which could be a 5th of the total, best to have is used as a room as well. Ask your accountant for some advice on this.

Leave a comment:

• buddingarchitect
    started a topic Building a home office

Building a home office

Hi,

Thanks.

Working...
X