• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Moving from Umbrella to Ltd Co"

Collapse

• pleomax
    replied
    And now further from them not paying my holiday fund at the end of that contract I get this in reply when i chased.....

"I have authorised your holiday fund of £X to be released for payment tomorrow. This will hit your account on Monday. A P45 will follow. "

Words fail me, I am still contracting through them why the hell do i need a P45?????????

Leave a comment:

• pleomax
    replied
    To top it all now they have finally paid me the final amount from my previous contract and the holiday fund I have accrued has magically disapeared!!!!!!

To say steam is coming out of my ears is an understatement.!!!!!

To-Do List......
    1. Set up Ltd Co
    2. Kick brolly co into touch
    3. Let the wife do the paperwork

Someday/Maybe......
    Get rich and live happly ever after......

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by pleomax View Post
    This was the brollys system, and what also anoyed me was when i chased my "Account Handler" at brolly they told me to go chase the agency myslef. Oh how silly of me I have a dog and growl at the postman myslef!

The brolly was good as I was new to contracting and now on my second contract and a little wiser and found more information (This site for one), I feel taht i am being less then efficient in what i am doing.

Does anyone on this site use their spouse as a day to day administrator and be ina postion to recommend an accountant that is contractor friendly and offers reduced rates for reduced work?

Thanks

Pleo

P.S Any one want to quess which brolly i am with?
    Quay accounting offer a "end of year" accounts package, or any local accountant may be able to do it for you.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    GIANT?

Do I win?

Leave a comment:

• pleomax
    replied
    Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
    Edit: Actually, maybe I'm being a little rash - was this a client or agency's system that you had to enter your hours in? If so, I suppose it could be difficult for them out of all the people on their books to know that you DID work that week.

Would be interesting either way.
    This was the brollys system, and what also anoyed me was when i chased my "Account Handler" at brolly they told me to go chase the agency myslef. Oh how silly of me I have a dog and growl at the postman myslef!

The brolly was good as I was new to contracting and now on my second contract and a little wiser and found more information (This site for one), I feel taht i am being less then efficient in what i am doing.

Does anyone on this site use their spouse as a day to day administrator and be ina postion to recommend an accountant that is contractor friendly and offers reduced rates for reduced work?

Thanks

Pleo

P.S Any one want to quess which brolly i am with?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    1. Do you need to use and accountant on a by Monthly basis?
    2. Could your spouse do your day to day books and just pay for them to be
    ratified at year end? (Tax savings there?)
    3. Registered business address? What if your mortgage paperwork states taht
    you cant? (Did i read some where that you could claim a portion of house
    hold expenses for business use?)
    You use the accountant as and when you need them - their service could be covered by a monthly fee, or be ad-hoc.
    2. You don't legally need an accountant. It's a good idea to have one, and you should get one that's knowledgeable about contracting and who charges you less if you keep your own books.
    3. Ask your mortgage provider. Running a business, with people coming and going to your home is one thing, having a registered office and doing some of your accounting from, or remote working is entirely another.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I would have expected them to be all over them like a rash as i am sure the brolly wants it money?...
    Not really. Unless they pay you before they get paid, it's a very small amount that they're risking.

Leave a comment:

• pleomax
    replied
    ...The point I was trying to make.

If my company I could have one person who has only one task of getting the money in on time and dealing with stupid issues.

Trouble is my contracts all seem to fall inside IR35...Bummer!

Leave a comment:

• Beefy198
    replied
    Probably but with a couple of hundred or thousand other contractors on the books you could be bottom of the food chain.....

Edit: Actually, maybe I'm being a little rash - was this a client or agency's system that you had to enter your hours in? If so, I suppose it could be difficult for them out of all the people on their books to know that you DID work that week.

Would be interesting either way.
    Last edited by Beefy198; 21 October 2008, 21:32.

Leave a comment:

• pleomax
    replied
    I had to chase them where a payment was and after two days they come back and said my timesheet had not been received by the agency. This was 16 days after i had entered the info on their web portal.
    I would have expected them to be all over them like a rash as i am sure the brolly wants it money?

Pleomax

Leave a comment:

• Beefy198
    replied
    Out of interest what are your issues with them? Then maybe we can play the fun game "guess the brolly"

Leave a comment:

• pleomax
    replied
    Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
    1.) 2.) Theoretically thats OK but does your spouse have other income? Would he/she be better as a shareholder? Again, an accountant can help you out.
    She dosent work and has a financial back ground prior to being a home maker. I was thinking all above board that she could do the day to day paperwork and gat paid a sensible wage for the time spent doing it.

Would Hector get upset by this? I am inside IR35 it seems by the way.

Pleomax.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I am going to go the Ltd co route but i have a couple of questions that i hope the experts can help with please?

1. Not at all, so long as you're confident that you've set things up right, it's best to get professional advice initially.
    2. Yes, perfectly reasonable
    3. If the mortgage paperwork is explicit then don't risk it as your registered address, you can always ask a friend or family member or your accountant to use their address. You can of course use a different mailing address and there's nothing that states that your office has to be at the registered business address, if that happens to be your home then you can charge some expenses to your business. Expenses amount you should ask an accountant as they know what's typically acceptable.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    1.) No you don't need to use an accountant on a monthly basis - although the fact that you need to ask the question may suggest you consider it. Remember that if you use an accountant to set up the company then yuo should be in an optimised tax position and saving money from the get-go and therefore it really is worth it.

2.) Theoretically thats OK but does your spouse have other income? Would he/she be better as a shareholder? Again, an accountant can help you out.

3.) Its not normally a problem to use your home as a business address but again an accountant can help. You can normally register your company at their address. And yes, if you are working from home then you claim a portion of your household expenses as business expense. What proportion is dependent on a number of factors: number of rooms in house, extent to which home is used for business etc.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• pleomax
    started a topic Moving from Umbrella to Ltd Co

Moving from Umbrella to Ltd Co

Hi I have been using an umbrella co for the past 4 months (two different interim contracts).

I am less than happy with how they are doing things(or not as in this case).

I am going to go the Ltd co route but i have a couple of questions that i hope the experts can help with please?

It is late and i am sorry if the spelling needs tweaking!

Regards

P.

Working...
X