• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Billing Hourly?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Billing Hourly?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I've usually charged for travel time...but I always feel obliged to do some laptop work while in transit (not driving obviously!).

Anybody else feel that, or is it just my Protestant work ethic?
    I always feel obliged to either sleep (morning flight) or drink beer (afternoon/evening flight ).

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by themistry View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am on a new role that bills hourly. I have only ever billed on a daily rate before so could use some advice on what to do here. There are a few quirks so some advice would be welcome.

1) I will be working from home and not in the office
    2) I will have to travel from the UK to Sweden/Finland every 2 weeks or more for 2 days at a time.

In regards to working from my home office, I am happy to charge in the hours I work, there or about a full working day. However, when it comes to travelling to Europe, what should I be billing?

For example, I fly out on an evening (say 5pm) and arrive at my hotel at 11pm, to start work the next day at 9am. Should I be charging in any of this travel time?

Perhaps these are silly questions, but any guidance would be appreciated.

Kind regards
    TM

Ideally your contract should cover this, I'm doing something similar and for longer flights my time is paid for but for Europe I could not get the client to agree.

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    i had a contract that paid 1.5 overtime and weekends. obviously i preferred to travel sundays to be fresh for a monday start.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I've usually charged for travel time...but I always feel obliged to do some laptop work while in transit (not driving obviously!).

No, it's just you.
    Are you sure you're cut out to be a contractor?

Leave a comment:

• diesel
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    You should be billing what you have agreed (or agreeing what you are going to bill). Personally I have always taken the view that travel time is chargeable, if my client isn't paying for it then I don't go.
    AGREE. however my client insists if i am travelling for meetings which are not chargeable to the client's client, that i should not be charging my time to their company overheads. So agree make sure you get it agreed with client.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    replied
    Thanks for the heads up guys,

I shall bill accordingly

TM

Leave a comment:

• downsouth
    replied
    i've always billed from the time i reach the airport and land back again in the evening, commuting time, ie in UK always my own time

But agreed if you can get the client to pick up door to door then even better

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Agreed. I had to go out to the states for a couple of weeks for a gig a year or so ago.

I billed from the moment I left my house to the moment I entered my hotel room at the other end. The reverse coming back.

Of course I agreed this with the client first though

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by themistry View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am on a new role that bills hourly. I have only ever billed on a daily rate before so could use some advice on what to do here. There are a few quirks so some advice would be welcome.

2) I will have to travel from the UK to Sweden/Finland every 2 weeks or more for 2 days at a time.

In regards to working from my home office, I am happy to charge in the hours I work, there or about a full working day. However, when it comes to travelling to Europe, what should I be billing?

For example, I fly out on an evening (say 5pm) and arrive at my hotel at 11pm, to start work the next day at 9am. Should I be charging in any of this travel time?

Kind regards
    TM
    You should be billing what you have agreed (or agreeing what you are going to bill). Personally I have always taken the view that travel time is chargeable, if my client isn't paying for it then I don't go.

Leave a comment:

• themistry
    started a topic Billing Hourly?

Billing Hourly?

Hi everyone,

Kind regards
    TM

Working...
X