• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Selling some books - how to account ?"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Well it has crossed my mind not to bother. But presumeably Hector might check if he ever came knocking.
    I would think even Hector has better things to do than check that all the purchases you ever made are still in your possession or have been properly invoiced out. What about all those stamps? Computer repairs... maybe he'll check inside your PC and look for that memory upgrade?

OK, seriously, just sell them on eBay and forget it.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Well it has crossed my mind not to bother. But presumeably Hector might check if he ever came knocking.
    You could take a view that the books are worthless and give them away (largely this is the purpose of expense items, they don't have retained value).

If the person you give them to happens to lob them on ebay and get a few quid then that's just their good fortune

Hector is not going to quibble about the second hand value of a few out of date technical books.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
    Surely the real question is: I trust you will be declaring the income in the company's books?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Agreed!

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Very true. To be really pedantic, there is, but it's set at 0%. End result is the same, of course.

However I was wondering if the OP knew that...
    Surely the real question is: I trust you will be declaring the income in the company's books?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Surely there is often vat on technical books. If it includes media then vat is charged (or has that changed?)
    Thats possibly why many tech books these days give a link to a download section on the publishers website.
    Download content is freely available
    Book remains at 0% VAT

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Surely there is often vat on technical books. If it includes media then vat is charged (or has that changed?)

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Very true. To be really pedantic, there is, but it's set at 0%. End result is the same, of course.

However I was wondering if the OP knew that...

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    They are simple income. I trust you'll be charging VAT...
    There's no VAT on books.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    They are simple income. I trust you'll be charging VAT...

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    started a topic Selling some books - how to account ?

Selling some books - how to account ?

A while ago I bought some technical text books through ltdco, which I'm now planning to flog on ebay as they have turned out to be pretty hopeless.

As they were originally acoounted for as expenses not fixed assets how do I account for them now on resale ?

Working...
X