• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "10 Point Plan to Legally Avoid IR35"

Collapse

• Manic
    replied
    Originally posted by NickNick View Post
    Heh. What I was trying to suggest was that this headline was only a year or so after coming to power when the (current) govt were still trying to sort out years of mis-rule.

My point was that you shouldn't vote for any of em, it only encourages em.

It's generally accepted that the period of economic stability which New Labia have benefited from was in fact engineered several years earler by John Major's Govt following Black Wednesday. In fact the economy had been growing for 5 years prior to Labour's win in 1997.

One credit that Labour must take is the decision to give the BOE autonomy in deciding the interest rate, however we shall soon see whether the period of growth since then has been supported by borrowing or the sale of the UK's gold bullion reserves.

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    So B'Liar winning in May 1997 was only a bad dream.
    Heh. What I was trying to suggest was that this headline was only a year or so after coming to power when the (current) govt were still trying to sort out years of mis-rule.

My point was that you shouldn't vote for any of em, it only encourages em.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by NickNick View Post
    Just in case you are too young to remember. Here's a BBC news graphic from 1999 showing the state of the economy thanks to yeasr of conservative rule.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/...omy/232304.stm
    So B'Liar winning in May 1997 was only a bad dream.

Leave a comment:

• jigsaw
    replied
    No, I was not too young to remember the Labour landslide of 1997. So in the news article of 1999 pointed out, Labour had been in power for nearly two years.

Actually I might not like 99% of what either party did. I have general dislike for most politicians. My point was what each political party has done and is doing to us and our industry.

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    [QUOTE=jigsaw;608990]Although I have never voted for the Tories in my life before, my tactical vote will be going their way this time for this issue of IR35 plus what they did to MSC legislation and everything Malvolio mentioned in his post about Family Busines Tax, etc.

At least the Tories are saying they will do something about it.
    [QUOTE]

Just in case you are too young to remember. Here's a BBC news graphic from 1999 showing the state of the economy thanks to yeasr of conservative rule.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/...omy/232304.stm

Leave a comment:

• jigsaw
    replied
    Originally Posted by jigsaw
    There is no doubt in my mind that for various reasons it will be repealed by the Tories quite soon after they come to power.
    Originally posted by expat View Post

No, I don't think so.
    Although I have never voted for the Tories in my life before, my tactical vote will be going their way this time for this issue of IR35 plus what they did to MSC legislation and everything Malvolio mentioned in his post about Family Busines Tax, etc.

At least the Tories are saying they will do something about it.

News below from last year I know but for me it's on the right track. Stick with Labour and it will be more of the same and worse to come as they steadily cut off your options one by one and make resistance futile.

http://www.contractoruk.com/ir35/index.html

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    IR35 isn't the differentiator most of you seem to believe it is. IR35 is trivial and can be avoided without too much difficulty if you have the will to do so. And there is an arguemnt (not mine, I hasten to add) that says if you're caught, to be honest you are probably a disguised employee anyway.

But the revised Family Business tax, the levelling of small business taxation against PAYE levels, the increasing application of employement-like conditions on freelance workers, the blurring between agency PAYE temps and true contractors... NL is still aggressively pushing all of these, under the guidance of Union leaders still firmly rooted in the 1970s politics of envy (what? you think Brown is in charge? Silly boy...). I've been there once, I don't want to do it again.

The Tories are not led by the unions - they may have to hang on totjhe tax regime for a while - I can't see how they could afford not to, to be honest - but they will surely back off on the continuing attacks on one in seven of the UK workforce. For that reason alone they should be supported.

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Agree, mathematically speaking.
    If IR35 is the only factor, reluctantly vote for the Tories. But in RL.....
    No, it's far from the only factor. Not only Brown but the sinister likes of that tw*t Miliband and the rest of the social engineers, and ministry of public mind control and thought police, must be totally crushed for the next 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    What are the chances of Labour repealing or going easy on IR35?
    Answer zero. ...

What are the chances of the Conservatives repealing or going easy on IR35?
    Answer > zero.
    Agree, mathematically speaking.

Originally posted by jigsaw
    There is no doubt in my mind that for various reasons it will be repealed by the Tories quite soon after they come to power.
    No, I don't think so.

Originally posted by DimPrawn
    You decide where your vote goes and whether you end up with a £30K tax bill and 7 days to pay it in.
    If IR35 is the only factor, reluctantly vote for the Tories. But in RL.....
    Last edited by expat; 14 August 2008, 20:51.

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    What are the chances of Labour repealing or going easy on IR35?

Answer zero. They truly believe that the only definition of business is very big, very unionised and very keen to donate to New Labour.

What are the chances of the Conservatives repealing or going easy on IR35?

Answer > zero.

You decide where your vote goes and whether you end up with a £30K tax bill and 7 days to pay it in.

Spot on. And great first post from Jigsaw.

Leave a comment:

• AZZIK
    replied
    Originally posted by Lewis View Post
    Or why not take out QDOS' TLC35 policy, which has all the same Professional Expenses Insurance but also in the event your IR35 case is lost they will pay your taxes, penalties and interest.

Plus, be warned about the IR35 wins/losses stats. There is the Dragonfly case going through at the moment that might seriously tip the scales in HMRC's favour if it is lost.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    Kudos to the OP for such an outstanding first post!!!
    whs - certainly beats all of my drivel

Leave a comment:

• jigsaw
    replied
    Funniest thing I've read all week.
    I think it's hilarious that Labour either dont know or won't publish how much it costs them to enforce IR35. It will be even funnier when the Tories tell us how much it used to cost.

Leave a comment:

• jigsaw
    replied
    Sorry for any delay in my replies. I am still under moderation probation being a newbie on this board.

Or why not take out QDOS' TLC35 policy, which has all the same Professional Expenses Insurance but also in the event your IR35 case is lost they will pay your taxes, penalties and interest.
    Thanks I will look at that. However, I have 2 contracts with 2 concurrent clients. I had them professionally reviewed by my accountants and both passed IR35. I then tried to get them insured for tax loss (not with QDOS I might add). One passed and one failed so they refused to insure me for tax loss. I think that goes to show it's a different ball game when it's somebody else's money backing you. I will, however, consider QDOS.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Kudos to the OP for such an outstanding first post!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X