• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "2008 Self Assessment Tax Return"

Collapse

• QwertyBerty
    replied
    Originally posted by Lewis View Post
    However, on the PCG site there is a document by Bond Pearce, Abbey Tax and Accountax. It has a section titled "comment by Accountax"
    Yup, that's the thing I'm referring to.

QB.

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied
    Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
    David Smith (head honcho at Accountax) told me No/No. I haven't seen anywhere that he has changed his mind. Can you post a link?
    I was told Yes/No when I called the PCG helpline (I thought it was run by Accountax when I last posted but that was a mistake I have checked and it is Abbey Tax). I have nothing in writing. However, on the PCG site there is a document by Bond Pearce, Abbey Tax and Accountax. It has a section titled "comment by Accountax" which says
    The definition in the P35 guidance “ A service company is a company through which the personal services of one of more persons are provided to end clients…” is not, in our view, purporting to address only company’s where the personal service requirement of IR35 fulfilled, it is simply your average one man band limited company.
    As it happens I answered No/No but the vast majority of advice I have heard and read says to answer Yes/No and so I was trying to assure the poster that I would not worry. I asked about amending my answers to Yes/No but was told by a few 'experts' (helplines again) not to worry about is as there is so much confusion and people still disagree on the correct answer anyway and HMRC are going to ignore the answers this year ... so I am not bothered about it.

Leave a comment:

• QwertyBerty
    replied
    Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
    David Smith (head honcho at Accountax) told me No/No. I haven't seen anywhere that he has changed his mind. Can you post a link?
    Curious as Accountax are advising via PCG to put yes/no and fill in the SA accordingly.

QB.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    I provide bespoke software to my clients, is this classed as goods or services ?

I ask my current client if I could supply for a fixed price, but they want to pay by the hour so we don't get into some wrangle about them not getting the requirements right at the start of the development. They have had issues with this before - especially with overseas suppliers.

Leave a comment:

• THEPUMA
    replied
    There is no need to change. HMRC have said they will not use your answers this year for targeting. People still disagree with what the answers should be. But the 'experts' (QDOS, Accountax) say Yes/No is correct but that essentially this year it doesn't matter anyway.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Has anyone asked their accountants how they were answering this on their personal tax returns ?

After all I guess Accountants / Solicitors / Engineers may all be classed as Service Companies from this description .... although Accountants and Solicitors normally operate as (self-employed) partnerships.

Thanks for the reminder - I need to ask them to send me a tax return.

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied
    Originally posted by Likely View Post
    I can't risk that.

Why is this ?
    This is the HMRC statement

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/200...35-Quest-6.htm

(b) is beacuse of (a)

If you want to amend you can. But then you are amending to the WRONG answer according to the experts and you accountants. How are you going to justify that?!

Leave a comment:

• Likely
    replied
    There is no need to change. HMRC have said they will not use your answers this year for targeting. People still disagree with what the answers should be. But the 'experts' (QDOS, Accountax) say Yes/No is correct but that essentially this year it doesn't matter anyway.

I can't risk that.

Why is this ?

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied
    Originally posted by Likely View Post
    My accountant, one of the famous ones , has filled Yes / No to the questions "Are you a Service Company" and "Do you operate IR35".

Reading at PCG suggests that a Yes/No can increase the risk of targeting your Company for investigation ?!?

Does anyone know if the data submitted can be changed online ?

Anyone in this situation ?

Leave a comment:

• Likely
    replied
    My accountant, one of the famous ones , has filled Yes / No to the questions "Are you a Service Company" and "Do you operate IR35".

Reading at PCG suggests that a Yes/No can increase the risk of targeting your Company for investigation ?!?

Does anyone know if the data submitted can be changed online ?

Anyone in this situation ?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    Well I might be wrong on this, but I thought these questions (P35 / SA) were both new this year? Therefore the questions wouldn't have been done by your accountant last year??
    There have been similar questions for the last 2 (?) years. Each year's being slightly more ambiguous and annoying than the last.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
    I did my own PAYE online this year and ticked no/no as I understood both questions as applying to inside IR35 income.

However, I don't know what my accountant answered last year. If the answer is inconsistent could it ring alarm bells with hmrc? Is there any way of checking this?

Also, I can't remember how I filled out the service company income on my SA!
    (I think I just entered in income and divs as a normal employee/director of my company and left the service company figures blank)
    I logged in the my online SA account and there is no option to view previous years submissions (why on earth not is completely beyond me!).
    Is there anyway of checking previous years submissions?
    I saved my last year's submission as a pdf - did you not do this?

Leave a comment:

• chris79
    replied
    Well I might be wrong on this, but I thought these questions (P35 / SA) were both new this year? Therefore the questions wouldn't have been done by your accountant last year??

Leave a comment:

• hgllgh
    replied
    I did my own PAYE online this year and ticked no/no as I understood both questions as applying to inside IR35 income.

However, I don't know what my accountant answered last year. If the answer is inconsistent could it ring alarm bells with hmrc? Is there any way of checking this?

Also, I can't remember how I filled out the service company income on my SA!
    (I think I just entered in income and divs as a normal employee/director of my company and left the service company figures blank)
    I logged in the my online SA account and there is no option to view previous years submissions (why on earth not is completely beyond me!).
    Is there anyway of checking previous years submissions?

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    Well I ticked no/no for P35, and left the self assessment blank for this..

I'll let the ****ers come and prove me wrong at which point my £50,000 legal expenses insurance can kick in.

If they can't be arsed to define clearly what a 'service company' is, then how can I confidently agree I am?
    I'm with you on this one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X