• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Advice please, taking on a contract for a second income"

Collapse

• Ardesco
    replied
    As I said earlier, you can prolly get away with paying no CT in your first year of trading.

Talk to your accountant.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    But you will end up paying CT on the money not taken out of the Co. as wages. 19% of 5 grand or so is worth doing some paperwork for.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Entirely reasonable to pay it all out in divi's.

You don't need to take a wage as you have your main job. Taking a wage from your company will put you on a BR tax code as it is income from a second job which means you will then have to claim back tax at the end of the year, yadda yadda.

Much easier and less paperwork to just take divi's.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Yatesy
    I work in support with no previous IB experience.

Unfortunately I could do with the extra income so I can't keep it in the company, is it feasible to pay entirely dividends?

It is but is not the best way to do it.

Take a minimal salary from the ltd, plus your expenses. Then take divi's up to the tax limit. Won't be much if you have a permie salary as well but it all helps. This way you pay no extra Income Tax until you go over the tax limit. At whch point you pay %25 on income over that ( IIRC ). Talk to an accountant, i'm sure they will be able to advice you exactly how to do it.

Leave a comment:

• Yatesy
    replied
    I work in support with no previous IB experience.

Unfortunately I could do with the extra income so I can't keep it in the company, is it feasible to pay entirely dividends?

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Pay the money into your LTD and leave it there.

Your tax burden doesn't increase and if I remember correctly during the first year of trading you can probably get away with paying no corp tax (talk to an accountant though)

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    IB doesn't pay a permie enough to get into the higher rate bracket?

But to answer the question, just pay yourself dividends from yourco for whatever money you make.

Leave a comment:

• Yatesy
    started a topic Advice please, taking on a contract for a second income

Advice please, taking on a contract for a second income

Ok, to give a bit of background, I formed my own ltd last year as I was looking to start contracting, however the oppourtunity to break into IB came along through a fixed term contract involving direct employment, I intend to stay in the sector after the fixed term has ended.

Now I have also secured a weekend moves & changes contract at another bank, my main employment is obviously PAYE (probably until November) I will be providing this weekend service on a ad-hoc basis and I don't believe I fall foul of IR35 on this.

I am not earning above the higher rate tax threshold at the moment (although this contract could tip me over it), I have my ltd co ready to go and my business account set up, if it was you in my shoes how would you operate your payment mechanism?

Working...
X