• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "PSC (formerly composite) gone bust?"

Collapse

• bangface
    replied
    [QUOTE=ssrai]
    Originally posted by rfletch6
    My company has been set up and I have a cheque book and the details but I've not been able to get hold of them on the phone and they haven't been raising invoices with my agency (who also can't get hold of them)
    Under the new MSC rules, I didn't think the likes of Brooksons were allowed to raise invoices for the one man ltd company? Sounds a bit dodgy to me...

Leave a comment:

• Cliffhanger
    replied
    Well I now have all the monies owed to me, and the VAT reg. has gone through too. Must be just a coincidence that Brookson phoned me the day after I posted on this (and Shout99) sites after the weeks of being unable to contact them. Also got a response to my emails .... 4 weeks after I sent them. So things have improved, but the jury is still out right now.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by Newby
    Run for the nearest high street accountant IMHO!!!!!
    I've always had one - found him in the Yellow Pages and he's been excellent. Not necessarily as cheap as some of the others mentioned here, but at least I have complete peace of mind in this matter.

Leave a comment:

• Newby
    replied
    I have George W Bush working my spell check!!!

p.s for all those brooksonites, this is off HMRC website

In response to the legislation published at Budget, a number of providers are telling their clients that they (the providers) are not MSC providers, rather that they are accountants. They are therefore telling clients that their companies are not caught by the legislation.
    Based on the advertising material seen, it is HMRC’s view that many of these organisations are MSC providers as defined in the new legislation. Whether or not the new tax rules apply will depend on the precise relationship between the MSC provider and the client company.
    Individuals operating through service companies, particularly those who believe that prior to 6 April they would have been within “IR35”, should consider carefully their and their company’s relationship with the MSC provider. If a service company is within the legislation and the company fails to operate PAYE, this could result in individuals being held personally liable for the PAYE debts of the company.

Run for the nearest high street accountant IMHO!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Newby
    more like old and dyslectic, or incredibly bad at spelling
    Ah, the alternative, American spelling of dyslexic!

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    cunstomer was more likely a Freudian slip. I must have been thinking of something else while typing....

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Newby
    replied
    more like old and dyslectic, or incredibly bad at spelling

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Wow somebody who joined today to give over the impression that they are getting thier act together and really do have wonderful cunstomer service....

God i'm getting old and cynical....

Leave a comment:

• *frankie75*
    replied
    Yes they have, she emailed me copies of all my payslips and rang me back to resolve my other enquiries .

Leave a comment:

• Orangutan
    replied
    you fell for the old "we'll call you back" line ?

Have they ?

Leave a comment:

• *frankie75*
    replied
    Brookson A Little Light At The End Of The Tunnel

like everyone I've been at the end of my tether with Brookson. Today was the final straw I've sent at least 10 emails and been trying to get through for weeks now to no avail Im overdrawn and have no clue how much I'm due Today I held for about 16 mins and someone picked up admittedly I nearly fell of my chair to hear a real person on the end of the line. She was really helpful and is going to get back to me in about an hour, fingers crossed. Try this number if you're ringing from mobiles: 01925 232526 and make sure you've got 20 mins to spare!!

She did reply and has resolved my enquiry !
    Last edited by *frankie75*; 30 May 2007, 12:32.

Leave a comment:

• Anderson
    replied
    I admire your patience Cliffhanger.
    I knocked Brookson on the head as soon as they told me they couldn't have my new company set up by April 6th.
    Set up my own company, bank account, etc. and it only took me a week!

Brookson have had a nightmare over the pass 6 weeks and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Even though I told Brookson I was leaving at start of April I have still received cheque book and several letters from RBS and Brookson about my ''new'' company! I am going to have to shut it down myself, which will cost me £10 at companies house.

I'd like to say that I'd never had a single problem with Brookson until now, but I think they've c*cked up big style and will be surprised if they have much of a business left after this. Be interested to know how many of 17,000 they had on their books before this fiasco they have left now.

I am now glad that I've gone down the route of setting everything up myself. Its been a big eye-opener, and took a bit of time to sort out, but I feel a whole lot more clued up and comfortable about the contracting business than I did in MSC ignorance and laziness.

Leave a comment:

• Cliffhanger
    replied
    Hi,

Well I was patient with Brooksons as I understood the difficulties they were in after the Budget changes. Weeks went by after April 6th and I was getting paid PAYE in the meantime. Several letters arrived saying how many bank a/c's they'd opened for the new LTD Co's, but unfortuanately mine wasn't one of them. That made me feel really good.

Then finally I got a letter with my new Co and Bank a/c details, dated 1st May, though it arrived about a week later. Meanwhile I hadn't been paid for the first week in May. So I quickly fwd'd the details to my agency. They paid the 2nd week of May into the new a/c and told me thay'd also paid the previous week into the old a/c. So I start trying to find out where the first week's money is, and how I get any money out of the new a/c - no way of accessing it. Brooksons permananetly engaged so phoned RBS, who to my dismay told me the a/c details I'd been given were wrong, and that wasn't my a/c at all.

So now I'm missing 1st week of May, and the 2nd week is in someone else's a/c!! Great. Still can't get Brooksons by phone.

Another letter arrives on th 18th, with a different set of a/c details, I'm assured by email these are correct, so I fwd to agency, only to get the details queried - Brooksons letter has mis-typed the sort code this time. By now a cheque book has arrived, so I can confirm my a/c details at last. But still have no idea what is in the a/c. (We are now told internet banking is not an option currenty).

Yesterday two invoice statements arrived for 1st and 3rd week May. So the lost 1st week has now been paid, but the 2nd week's is still in someone else's a/c. Spent 20 mins queuing on the RBS help line and gave up, Brooksons permanently engaged. Fired off another raft of emails, but no response agian.

So a nice stress-free start to my week's hols. My patience has now expired, hence this post.

If anyone from Brooksons is reading this, please feel free to contact me.

Iain Jack - Brookson 5310H Ltd
    Last edited by Cliffhanger; 25 May 2007, 12:44.

Leave a comment:

• ssrai
    replied
    [QUOTE=rfletch6]
    My company has been set up and I have a cheque book and the details but I've not been able to get hold of them on the phone and they haven't been raising invoices with my agency (who also can't get hold of them). Their website said that as an interim measure whilst they're busy transferring everyone, hours can be reported via email, which I did. I then received 3 'payslips' (although I reported 4 weeks work) and an SMS message claiming that money had been paid into my company account. The agency know nothing about this and still haven't had any contact with Brookson, or any invoices. The agent told me a lot of people are in the same boat and he'd keep trying to chase them up and get back to me.

[QUOTE]

Brookson emailed me last week to inform me of a special RBS number that has been setup for brookson members.

If you have your account details and branch sort code setup, phone this number:

01708 713025

expect about a 20min wait to speak to someone at RBS (well, it beats the 30 mins it took to get hold of someone at brookson last month!)

it seems ringing this number is the only way to find out whether funds have been transferred into the company accounts - apparently some form of online banking for brookson members is imminent

Leave a comment:

Working...
X