• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mobile Phone Through Limited Company"

Collapse

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Kess View Post
    This still leaves open the question of whether, rather than a contract, a more cost-effective PAYG phone can be bought by and funded by the company for light users like me?

Can anyone give a learned opinion on this - then I think this thread can be ended.
    I use Virgin PAYG and pay quarterly by direct debit - they just take the money for the calls I've made.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Robwg View Post
    Every Accountant I have spoken to (including SJD who I am with) say putting your company address in the bill is enough.
    Just ask them for a written guarantee that they will cover the additional costs if HMRC view it differently. If they are that confident of their advice, then they won't have a problem with putting their money where their mouth is. It's not what Nixon Williams, or my accountant say, though.

I've always thought that the contact needs to be in the name of the company (this is, after all, what the HMRC guidelines suggest). For what is might cost to be on a business tariff, you may as well do it right to avoid the risk that HMRC will clobber you for charges, and then go through your other expenses etc.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    One of my colleagues was misinformed by one of the people at SJD over the mobile BIK issue, so I wouldn't necessarily trust their advice on this.

Change your personal contract to a business one. At the end of the day you're worrying about saving such small sums of money by blagging a personal account as your Ltd. you might as well do it properly.
    your right, when I asked orange to put MyCos name on the bill they automatically changed it to a business service - charges were the same and the call sentre is UK based rather than Asian which means it's actually a bonus.

Don't know though whether they do PAYG for Business...

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    One of my colleagues was misinformed by one of the people at SJD over the mobile BIK issue, so I wouldn't necessarily trust their advice on this.

Change your personal contract to a business one. At the end of the day you're worrying about saving such small sums of money by blagging a personal account as your Ltd. you might as well do it properly.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Should be
    Originally posted by Robwg View Post
    Every Accountant I have spoken to (including SJD who I am with) say putting your company NAME in the bill is enough.

Leave a comment:

• Robwg
    replied
    Every Accountant I have spoken to (including SJD who I am with) say putting your company address in the bill is enough.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by Kess View Post
    This still leaves open the question of whether, rather than a contract, a more cost-effective PAYG phone can be bought by and funded by the company for light users like me?

Can anyone give a learned opinion on this - then I think this thread can be ended.

Yes, you can use PAYG phone, although you'll either have to reclaim the expenses through your company or pay via your company bank account.

Leave a comment:

• Kess
    replied
    The provision of one mobile phone is exempt from any tax charge... To qualify, the contract must be in the name of the company and paid from the company bank account.

Leave a comment:

• fridge
    replied
    Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
    The provision of one mobile phone is exempt from any tax charge. The exemption covers the telephone itself, any line rental and the cost of private calls paid by the employer on the telephone.

Notes:
    •The number of phones provided for private use is restricted to one;
    •Mobile phones provided to members of your family and household are excluded;
    •To qualify, the contract must be in the name of the company and paid from the company bank account.
    If you wish to claim for a personal mobile phone, then you can only claim for the business calls, you cannot claim for the rental cost or any private calls.

I hope this is clear!

Alan

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Can I try and summarise this thread

Are we saying that if I change my mobile billing address to that of my company and change the DD to come out of my company bank account then that's OK?
    I don't think that's enough. The contract would still be in your name, you would be liable for the bills etc. and it was you rather than the company was credit checked. Plus you would still be on a personal tariff rather than a business one.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Can I try and summarise this thread

Are we saying that if I change my mobile billing address to that of my company and change the DD to come out of my company bank account then that's OK?

Leave a comment:

• Kess
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    Also I would like clarification on treatment on two scenarios below in company accounts. would the £199, £299 & £400 respectively below be classified as capital expenditure hence not chargeable to P&L ?

1) Outright buy of a phone for £500 without contract but to use in PayAsUgo
    2) if contract is £199 for the phone + £35 line rental
    3) if I change my current personal contract to Ltd co. and then ask for a new phone thereby attracting a £400 Upgrade fee
    Not sure if this was ever resolved, but I'm also interested to know the answer. I need a company phone for business use but don't make that many calls, so PAYG seems appropriate and cost-effective. However, I've read that a business phone contract, billed to the company, is recommended to keep HMRC happy.

The HMRC guidelines (EIM21779) state: "In most circumstances the provision of one mobile 'phone to a director or employee for private use is exempt from charge. The exemption covers the phone itself, any line rental and the cost of private calls paid for by the employer on that phone." It doesn't seem to matter by what mechanism the phone and calls are funded; I reckon it's within the rules for MyCo to buy a PAYG phone and then just pay for credit as needed.

Can anyone confirm my interpretation of the rules (perhaps one of our friendly accountants)?

Kess

Leave a comment:

• ash
    replied
    Originally posted by Nixon Williams
    We do in our Starter Pack for new clients!
    I'm a client and I must've missed that. I've been waiting to sign up on a new deal in my company name rather than transferring my existing one.

Hmmm... will have to re-read the starter pack.

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99
    hi, i would also like to know the answer to Limited's last question. Is that enough for HMRC ?

also I just 3 months into a new 1 month contract but would like to get the N95 phone. would they agree to an upgrade now ?

Also I would like clarification on treatment on two scenarios below in company accounts. would the £199, £299 & £400 respectively below be classified as capital expenditure hence not chargeable to P&L ?

3) if I change my current personal contract to Ltd co. and then ask for a new phone thereby attracting a £400 Upgrade fee

cheers

css_jay99

bump bump !

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99
    hi, i would also like to know the answer to Limited's last question. Is that enough for HMRC ?

also I just 3 months into a new 1 month contract but would like to get the N95 phone. would they agree to an upgrade now ?

cheers

css_jay99

help needed on my query please

cheers

css_jay99

Leave a comment:

Working...
X