• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile Phone Through Limited Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I finally got round to doing something about this

According to 02 I have 2 options

I can easily add the company name to the bill so that it is shown as
    My Name
    Co Name
    My (and Co's) Address

and also change the bank account immediately

but the other option of actually moving the contract to the company name is more complicated and involves changing tariffs, credit checks and could take up to 30 days

Does anyone know if the first of these is enough folr HMRC?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Limited
      but the other option of actually moving the contract to the company name is more complicated and involves changing tariffs, credit checks and could take up to 30 days
      I did this with Orange and it wasn't really that painful. In fact wasn't painful at all. If O2 are being awkward about it maybe changing your provider would be better.
      Last edited by Back In Business; 12 March 2007, 08:00.

Comment

All T-Mobile needed was a copy of the Cert of Incorporation and an instruction on headed paper. Did it in 24 hours and I now get better customer service, itemised paper billing and reduced cost intenrationa roaming. BTW, the last time I called the Cust Serv rep recommended if texting abroad i should use a picture message (and delete the picture if desired) rather than a text. It's half the cost and you can use more characters than a normal text. Just tried this last week, so waiting to check the next bill.

In short, O2 are taking the p!ss. Threaten to leave.

Comment

problem is that I'm in the middle of a contract so threatening to leave is not really an option, but I agree that it should be easier than that

Comment

Originally posted by Limited
            Well I finally got round to doing something about this

According to 02 I have 2 options

I can easily add the company name to the bill so that it is shown as
            My Name
            Co Name
            My (and Co's) Address

and also change the bank account immediately

Does anyone know if the first of these is enough folr HMRC?

thanks
            hi, i would also like to know the answer to Limited's last question. Is that enough for HMRC ?

also I just 3 months into a new 1 month contract but would like to get the N95 phone. would they agree to an upgrade now ?

Also I would like clarification on treatment on two scenarios below in company accounts. would the £199, £299 & £400 respectively below be classified as capital expenditure hence not chargeable to P&L ?

1) Outright buy of a phone for £500 without contract but to use in PayAsUgo
            2) if contract is £199 for the phone + £35 line rental
            3) if I change my current personal contract to Ltd co. and then ask for a new phone thereby attracting a £400 Upgrade fee

cheers

css_jay99
            Last edited by css_jay99; 5 April 2007, 01:48.

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99
              hi, i would also like to know the answer to Limited's last question. Is that enough for HMRC ?

also I just 3 months into a new 1 month contract but would like to get the N95 phone. would they agree to an upgrade now ?

Also I would like clarification on treatment on two scenarios below in company accounts. would the £199, £299 & £400 respectively below be classified as capital expenditure hence not chargeable to P&L ?

3) if I change my current personal contract to Ltd co. and then ask for a new phone thereby attracting a £400 Upgrade fee

cheers

css_jay99

help needed on my query please

cheers

css_jay99

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99

cheers

css_jay99

bump bump !

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams
                  We do in our Starter Pack for new clients!
                  I'm a client and I must've missed that. I've been waiting to sign up on a new deal in my company name rather than transferring my existing one.

Hmmm... will have to re-read the starter pack.

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post

Not sure if this was ever resolved, but I'm also interested to know the answer. I need a company phone for business use but don't make that many calls, so PAYG seems appropriate and cost-effective. However, I've read that a business phone contract, billed to the company, is recommended to keep HMRC happy.

The HMRC guidelines (EIM21779) state: "In most circumstances the provision of one mobile 'phone to a director or employee for private use is exempt from charge. The exemption covers the phone itself, any line rental and the cost of private calls paid for by the employer on that phone." It doesn't seem to matter by what mechanism the phone and calls are funded; I reckon it's within the rules for MyCo to buy a PAYG phone and then just pay for credit as needed.

Can anyone confirm my interpretation of the rules (perhaps one of our friendly accountants)?

Kess

Comment

Can I try and summarise this thread

Are we saying that if I change my mobile billing address to that of my company and change the DD to come out of my company bank account then that's OK?
                      Blood in your poo

Comment

Working...
                      X