• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should I keep professional indemnity if I stop trading?"

Collapse

• oilboil
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Rightly or wrongly I've never paid for any.
    I only pay for it because the companies I work with won't give contracts to any supplier without this cover being in place.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Yuri is saying he's confused, OK?
    Yuri is confused != It being confusing.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    I would cancel immediately

Millions of contractors per year takes these out

I can think of 2 that have ever been reported (in 20 years) there has been claims against
    Rightly or wrongly I've never paid for any.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    not really confusing.

What exactly do you think a limited company is?
    It's limited liability, ie. the owners of the company are not liable for the debts of the company.
    Yuri is saying he's confused, OK?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Yuri F View Post
    ohh, so confusing, depends then..
    not really confusing.

What exactly do you think a limited company is?
    It's limited liability, ie. the owners of the company are not liable for the debts of the company.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    I would cancel immediately

Millions of contractors per year takes these out

I can think of 2 that have ever been reported (in 20 years) there has been claims against

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• Yuri F
    replied
    ohh, so confusing, depends then..

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Yuri F View Post
    ..or liability?
    No. The Ltd could be liable for millions. But if the Ltd only has assets of £500, that is the exposure.

Leave a comment:

• Yuri F
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    ...So the exposure to the risk is your Ltd's assets.
    ..or liability?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by bcontractor View Post
    I have recently stopped contracting and moved onto permanent employer. The plan is to make my company dormant for the time being and I am not anticipating trading via the ltd.

As part of my accountancy package I receive employers liability, public indemnity and professional indemnity insurance.

I could downgrade to a cheaper accountancy package that would not include these insurances. However, would it be unwise to stop having professional indemnity even if I'm not trading? Could a previous client still decide to take legal action against me and in that case should I keep the insurance? It is very unlikely, but I just thought I'd ask.
    A former client could in theory take legal action against your Ltd, not against you. So the exposure to the risk is your Ltd's assets.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    general guidance suggests to keep PI running for a while.
    To be honest though, it's such a low probability of any claim it's almost certainly not worth it.
    If you've screwed up at a client recently, and yoiu have reserves in the company then you might take a different view.

If you have little or no reserves then why not just close the company if you're not using it?

Leave a comment:

• Should I keep professional indemnity if I stop trading?

I have recently stopped contracting and moved onto permanent employer. The plan is to make my company dormant for the time being and I am not anticipating trading via the ltd.

As part of my accountancy package I receive employers liability, public indemnity and professional indemnity insurance.

I could downgrade to a cheaper accountancy package that would not include these insurances. However, would it be unwise to stop having professional indemnity even if I'm not trading? Could a previous client still decide to take legal action against me and in that case should I keep the insurance? It is very unlikely, but I just thought I'd ask.

Working...
X