• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IR35 new rules and VAT"

Collapse

• Amanensia
    replied
    Not to mention they won't pay anything close to contract rates on PAYE as it upsets the permies, HR etc.

Leave a comment:

• DeludedKitten
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
    Surely VAT costs more than employers NI?
    Which is why banks don't care about making people employees - it saves them money.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
    Which is potentially a factor in financial services companies being prepared to ditch contractors and take them on as PAYE. They no longer have 20% VAT that they can't reclaim but they do have National Insurance to pay instead so at the worst it's cost neutral to them.
    Surely VAT costs more than employers NI?

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    That's ok you just keep asserting how clever you are on a forum to make yourself feel good and we'll keep correcting you
    Oh get you...

Not had your coffee this morning ?
    Last edited by dx4100; 31 October 2019, 09:24.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    Fair enough. I didn’t know this.
    That's ok you just keep asserting how clever you are on a forum to make yourself feel good and we'll keep correcting you

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
    Again, depends on the client. For many financial services organisations it is very much a cost.
    Fair enough. I didn’t know this.

Leave a comment:

• DeludedKitten
    replied
    Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
    Again, depends on the client. For many financial services organisations it is very much a cost.
    Which is potentially a factor in financial services companies being prepared to ditch contractors and take them on as PAYE. They no longer have 20% VAT that they can't reclaim but they do have National Insurance to pay instead so at the worst it's cost neutral to them.

Leave a comment:

• Amanensia
    replied
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    You need to read up on VAT and how companies handle it. Its not a "cost".

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    I was thinking more that companies might employee individuals directly as employees with all the benefits that gives the employee but without the cost of VAT.

If a company needs a PM for 12 months - surely it makes it more viable for the company to give them and employment contract for 12 months and not pay VAT?
    You need to read up on VAT and how companies handle it. Its not a "cost".

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    I was thinking more that companies might employee individuals directly as employees with all the benefits that gives the employee but without the cost of VAT.

If a company needs a PM for 12 months - surely it makes it more viable for the company to give them and employment contract for 12 months and not pay VAT?
    you don't understand VAT....

EDIT: or the cost of employment

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by bstar1 View Post
    I contract direct to client, no agency, no vat.
    You need to up your rate

Leave a comment:

• bstar1
    replied
    I contract direct to client, no agency, no vat.

Leave a comment:

• Amanensia
    replied
    Depends on the client. In general FinServ clients won't be able to claim back the VAT (or only a small proportion of it.) You might think they could therefore bump up effective salaries for ex-contractors moving to fixed term contracts direct with the client to reflect the VAT saving - but I wouldn't bet on it!

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    not sure what you're driving at here.

If you use a PAYE umbrella the client still pays VAT.
    The client claims any VAT back in any case.
    I cannot see that VAT has any bearing whatsoever on IR35.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X