• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do i need an accountant?"

Collapse

• poopscoop
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf
    NO!!
    actually it is... ask an accountant

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    NO!!
    Well technically it is true that income tax is less than corporation tax, or at least more or less the same, up to the upper earning limit. It's NI that's the killer (especially the employers bit).

Nothing to stop you going Ltd. and paying all the money as salary, making no profit, and so having no corporation tax to pay. And the good news for onyerbike is that if you do that, you should get 40% of your expenses back.

And if you believe that's a good idea, you really need an accountant.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    Originally posted by Onyerbike
    Any truth in this? sole trader here I come
    NO!!

Leave a comment:

• Onyerbike
    replied
    Originally posted by poopscoop
    That depends... when profits are less than £40,000, income tax is actually lower than corporation tax.
    Any truth in this? sole trader here I come

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    That depends... when profits are less than £40,000, income tax is actually lower than corporation tax.
    Quite apart form the legal aspects any agency and company that knows what it is doing would avoid sole traders.

The correct answer will depend upon many variables, however if you were taking a low salary and the rest as dividends the company route would beat sole trader hands down.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Yes, but NI isnt if you take the money out in low salary / high divs.

Leave a comment:

• poopscoop
    replied
    Most companies/agencies will not deal with sole traders as they can be left with your tax bill. You should pay less tax overall with a Ltd company than as a sole trader.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    yes I could do it that way. With this amount it's probably better doing it as a sole trader. But the company I'm dealing with likes to deal with a Ltd company. Will I have to shell out on corp tax at 19% on the profit doing it by Ltd?

regards
    Most companies/agencies will not deal with sole traders as they can be left with your tax bill. You should pay less tax overall with a Ltd company than as a sole trader.

Leave a comment:

• poopscoop
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper
    If your intention is to only do the one short term contract then it is possible to simply declare the income on your tax return and pay the appropriate personal tax then.

Of course, it is advisable to engage an accountant if you are a little green at these things.
    yes I could do it that way. With this amount it's probably better doing it as a sole trader. But the company I'm dealing with likes to deal with a Ltd company. Will I have to shell out on corp tax at 19% on the profit doing it by Ltd?

regards

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    If your intention is to only do the one short term contract then it is possible to simply declare the income on your tax return and pay the appropriate personal tax then.

Of course, it is advisable to engage an accountant if you are a little green at these things.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    I was thinking of setting up my limited company now, without an accountant. When my first contract finishes and if I do get a second contract then I will get an accountant.

Regards
    I think this will be a false economy, get an accountant and avoid the hassle!

Leave a comment:

• Back In Business
    replied
    Even if you don't want to spend the profits you could take your taxable allowance and your expense claims out and place them into something more profitable than your banking account.

Leave a comment:

• poopscoop
    replied
    I was thinking of setting up my limited company now, without an accountant. When my first contract finishes and if I do get a second contract then I will get an accountant.

I'm thinking of doing it this way as I am retaining profits and not taking anything out.

Regards

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Having too much money in company accounts can lead to problems as the IR may want to re-categorise your company as a Financial Services company and tax you differently.

Or something like that.

Get yerself an accountant, basically.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    I would suggest that you get one from day one, the setup can be important and if that is wrong it can be expensive to put right.

For the sake of a few quid each month is it really worth the hassle of trying to do something we do not really understand?

I have never regretted having one (Nixon's) they save time and money

Leave a comment:

Working...
X