• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CaterAllen Shambles"

Collapse

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
    In any event the switching process guarantees that any payments into the old account are redirected to the new account for 3 years, according to Starling's documents.
    That's good to know, and one of the main things that's been putting me off switching (chasing BigCo for ££ that's gone 'missing')

Leave a comment:

• SuperLooper
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    Updating payment details with all your clients? (what happens if they try to pay your old account? does it bounce back to them or get forwarded on?). Can imagine most accounts payable departments will miss bank detail changes unless you really walk them through it

Updating recurring card payments? (office 365 etc?) - I guess you can wait until they bounce but still a hassle

Plus like jamesbrown said, updating linked account for other accounts/savings etc?

"totally painless" must be a slight exaggeration!?
    My clients pay USD into my Transferwise account. So I need to update the bank details when withdrawing from Transferwise into my UK account, but otherwise nothing changes.

In any event the switching process guarantees that any payments into the old account are redirected to the new account for 3 years, according to Starling's documents.

You are right that I will need to update debit card details with some recurring payments, but I can count those one one hand. So still pretty painless.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    I've been very pleasantly surprised with how easy and smooth changing banks actually is. I'm in the middle of moving my business account to Starling using the switching service, and all it took was a few clicks in their very slick mobile app. Totally painless.
    Updating payment details with all your clients? (what happens if they try to pay your old account? does it bounce back to them or get forwarded on?). Can imagine most accounts payable departments will miss bank detail changes unless you really walk them through it

Updating recurring card payments? (office 365 etc?) - I guess you can wait until they bounce but still a hassle

Plus like jamesbrown said, updating linked account for other accounts/savings etc?

"totally painless" must be a slight exaggeration!?

Leave a comment:

• SuperLooper
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Metro have lots of presence
    Only in the south-east of England. Nothing at all north of Nottingham.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    if i needed to do cash deposits and withdrawals 3-4 times per week, a traditional high street bank would be the best option wouldn't it?

(i'm comparing to the likes of Starling / CA / Metro etc who don't have the same outlet presence)
    Well cash withdrawals can be done anywhere; a lot of those places will let you pay in via a post office.

Metro have lots of presence - including being open evenings and weekends.

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    if i needed to do cash deposits and withdrawals 3-4 times per week, a traditional high street bank would be the best option wouldn't it?

(i'm comparing to the likes of Starling / CA / Metro etc who don't have the same outlet presence)

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    TSB or Yokshire/Clydesdale are currently doing a free offer for switchers

Avoid Starling; can't be used on a jailbreak phone

Leave a comment:

• Wobblyheed
    replied
    Originally posted by headsy View Post
    What business bank do people recommend with instant payments and doesn't charge a fee with a good phone app?
    Metro Bank

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Are they still not supporting Faster Payments?
    Not as easy as you would think (without spending many millions like the founders)

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• SuperLooper
    replied
    Originally posted by headsy View Post
    What business bank do people recommend with instant payments and doesn't charge a fee with a good phone app?
    Starling

Leave a comment:

• headsy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    One of the planned changes. We'll see.
    Good grief, must be one of about two banks in the UK (hello Aldermore!)

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I've been very pleasantly surprised with how easy and smooth changing banks actually is. I'm in the middle of moving my business account to Starling using the switching service, and all it took was a few clicks in their very slick mobile app. Totally painless.
    It all depends. For example, it depends how many linked savings accounts you have that need to be updated (the switching service may handle SOs and DDs, but it cannot contact those linked banks and have them update, right?). If your banking is simple, then I agree that something like Metro or Starling is a no-brainer.

Leave a comment:

• SuperLooper
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    changing banks is a PITA.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Why on earth does anyone stick with dinosaur banks like this, when there are so many modern alternatives which are better (and free)?

Switch to Starling.
    I have a bunch of accounts, including some with the modern alternatives. On the whole, CA is way ahead when you need to call someone (UK-based, competent), but that only means something if you need to talk with a person more than infrequently. If you have simple accounts, you probably don't, and CA makes little sense, other than inertia. Remember that many people will have CA accounts due to some legacy issue like their previous accountants having a sign-on deal or because CUK had a deal at some point or whatever, and changing banks is a PITA.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X