• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: CGT question

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CGT question"

Collapse

• PerlOfWisdom
    replied
    Why not give the whole house to that nice Mr Brown. Then he'll have to pay the tax. Ha Ha.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123
    And then there will be lettings relief as well.

tim
    It appears it wasn't my PPR. This changes the relifs. But at least the taper relief seems to go to 40% of the value, so that improves things.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy
    Have you taken into account the 36 month deduction and the apportionment of time spent as PPR?

Drop me a mail if you need a hand.
    And then there will be lettings relief as well.

tim

Leave a comment:

• simondolan
    replied
    Have you taken into account the 36 month deduction and the apportionment of time spent as PPR?

Drop me a mail if you need a hand.

Originally posted by ASB
    Ok, I have a house I am planning to sell. This has been let, and was also my PPR for a while some years ago.

There is about 150k profit in it after all the deductions I can think of.

It is owned jointly by myself and Mrs ASB. This will give rise to a CGT charge on about 130k - lots. I do not believe I can get any taper relief :-(

So here is the plan.

1) Me and Mrs ASB gift 10% each to our two children. [13 and 11] [If I die within 7 years then there is an IHT charge]
    2) We sell it.
    3) Mr and Mrs ASB pay shedload to Gordon (but at least it's a bit smaller)
    4) Mr and Mrs ASB put the kids share in their bare trust [and we get taxed on the income as a privilege].
    5) The kids pay a little CGT (on that amount in excess of their annual allowance).

In this way at least the kids use their CGT allowance so the gift to the kids only actually costs us 6%. [The kids share will genuinely be for them]

Does this work???

Alternative plan B.

Gift half to the kids now.
    Don't die for 7 years.
    When the kids are a bit older move them into it as their PPR.
    Wait a while, kids move out, sell it.

We get CGT on the half we still own (the actual amount retained is unlikely to yield any CGT because of the incoming price verses the retained portion).

Here the kids don't get stuffed for CGT - they get the PPR exemption.

Does this work???

Or, any other ideas as to how I can work an exit strategy for an asset currently 250k which I bought for 80k ???

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Surely you can pay 0% tax if you don't tell Brown!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    You will get some taper relief. I know it's now a lot.
    I am paying only 85% of the profit I made on my last property. In addition, I have provided another 10k worth of receipts for doing the property up. Offset against capial losses and my CGT for the year.

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    Semi-serious question/response. I knew of a couple in a similar situation with too properties. There plan was to separate pending a divorce with the husband living in one property and the wife + children in the other. After six months or more they would sell off the property in question and since it was a main residence it would not be subject to CGT. They planned to get back together again, but really did get divorced. I never found out if the plan would work, I suspect it would not.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Helpful article. Thanks.

Re the taper relief. I think that improves thing, but I don't think it qualifies as a business asset - it's let to individuals. It would be great to get the full 75% . I need to clarify this because it makes the problem go away.

If it is a non business asset I will only get stiffed on 60% of the gain. So that makes it a more manageable problem.

I weould still like to get the kids involed though - because essentially I can generate 100% of their CGT allowance to them rather than 60% to me and 40% to Gordon.

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    Not sure why you think you can't get taper relief?

anyway try this article - it may help

Taxation Web

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    started a topic CGT question

CGT question

Ok, I have a house I am planning to sell. This has been let, and was also my PPR for a while some years ago.

There is about 150k profit in it after all the deductions I can think of.

It is owned jointly by myself and Mrs ASB. This will give rise to a CGT charge on about 130k - lots. I do not believe I can get any taper relief :-(

So here is the plan.

1) Me and Mrs ASB gift 10% each to our two children. [13 and 11] [If I die within 7 years then there is an IHT charge]
    2) We sell it.
    3) Mr and Mrs ASB pay shedload to Gordon (but at least it's a bit smaller)
    4) Mr and Mrs ASB put the kids share in their bare trust [and we get taxed on the income as a privilege].
    5) The kids pay a little CGT (on that amount in excess of their annual allowance).

In this way at least the kids use their CGT allowance so the gift to the kids only actually costs us 6%. [The kids share will genuinely be for them]

Does this work???

Alternative plan B.

Gift half to the kids now.
    Don't die for 7 years.
    When the kids are a bit older move them into it as their PPR.
    Wait a while, kids move out, sell it.

We get CGT on the half we still own (the actual amount retained is unlikely to yield any CGT because of the incoming price verses the retained portion).

Here the kids don't get stuffed for CGT - they get the PPR exemption.

Does this work???

Or, any other ideas as to how I can work an exit strategy for an asset currently 250k which I bought for 80k ???

Working...
X