• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "1stOnline - Gone Out of Business?"

Collapse

• RustyWire
    replied
    Originally posted by yasnas View Post
    I had the full package with them (VAT, PAYE etc) and so they registered me for the various taxes when I first incorporated. However, it was made clear that it didn't include responsibility for running payroll and submitting VAT tax returns, so i have been doing those myself through Freeagent.

On the topic of annual accounts, after a very annoyed phone call from myself on the last working day before deadline, they did actually prepare the accounts and email me them. But after that I got no further communication on submission and began to really panic. The night before deadline, I thought i'd check my contract with them to see if a failed submission would be a breach of contract. Lo and behold, it read that filings were responsibility of the client and not them. I ended up using their figures to submit the accounts myself with an hour to spare.

Despite the contract saying otherwise, I was led through phone calls to believe that they would prepare AND submit my accounts and infact 3 days later, I got an email from them apologizing for not submitting my accounts and that they would write a letter to rectify.

The whole thing was a shambles which is why I cancelled with them. It's just such a shame because during incorporation they were pretty quick to respond to my queries.
    I had a very similar experience earlier this year when needing to file my company accounts. I've just been trying to file my Self Assessment tax and kept getting that rejected by HMRC's system. Emails bouncing back and calls unanswered so closure explains a lot.

All data and attachments now exported from Freeagent so more of an irritation than a disaster.

Leave a comment:

• yasnas
    replied
    Originally posted by Chart Accountancy View Post
    If they didn’t file your accountants, I would ask them for a refund, did you receive any other services from them such as payroll, personal tax return?
    I had the full package with them (VAT, PAYE etc) and so they registered me for the various taxes when I first incorporated. However, it was made clear that it didn't include responsibility for running payroll and submitting VAT tax returns, so i have been doing those myself through Freeagent.

On the topic of annual accounts, after a very annoyed phone call from myself on the last working day before deadline, they did actually prepare the accounts and email me them. But after that I got no further communication on submission and began to really panic. The night before deadline, I thought i'd check my contract with them to see if a failed submission would be a breach of contract. Lo and behold, it read that filings were responsibility of the client and not them. I ended up using their figures to submit the accounts myself with an hour to spare.

Despite the contract saying otherwise, I was led through phone calls to believe that they would prepare AND submit my accounts and infact 3 days later, I got an email from them apologizing for not submitting my accounts and that they would write a letter to rectify.

The whole thing was a shambles which is why I cancelled with them. It's just such a shame because during incorporation they were pretty quick to respond to my queries.

Leave a comment:

• Chart Accountancy
    replied
    Originally posted by yasnas View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing as you ninjamouse, since September actually when 1st Online failed to submit my annual accounts on time, despite me calling to remind them many times up till the deadline. After they missed the deadline, all phone calls started going to voicemail and so I cancelled with them via email the very next day and got a response after a week asking me if my cancellation was "effective immediate". Obviously I replied yes and have never heard from them since.

However, they are still taking monthly payments from my account (the cheek?!) which I have now taken up with my bank as fraudulent.
    If they didn’t file your accountants, I would ask them for a refund, did you receive any other services from them such as payroll, personal tax return?

Leave a comment:

• yasnas
    replied
    Originally posted by ninjamouse View Post
    1stOnline appear to have gone out of business which I'm not particularly happy about. My calls go straight to voicemail. Emails weren't responding to and are now being bounced back. Does anyone know any details of what has happened? Their website is still up 1st Online | Contractor Accountants. They were so slow doing anything and now appear to be doing nothing even though I've paid for their services.
    I've been wondering the same thing as you ninjamouse, since September actually when 1st Online failed to submit my annual accounts on time, despite me calling to remind them many times up till the deadline. After they missed the deadline, all phone calls started going to voicemail and so I cancelled with them via email the very next day and got a response after a week asking me if my cancellation was "effective immediate". Obviously I replied yes and have never heard from them since.

However, they are still taking monthly payments from my account (the cheek?!) which I have now taken up with my bank as fraudulent.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I've finally spoken to an Accountant at Brooksons. Sounds like there have been major process and tech issues. He said that 1stOption had emailed me about this a couple of months back, but I've not received any emails. Emails are still bouncing from their support address after the accountant said they should now be working.

I've extracted all my data from FreeAgent and getting a new accountant now. Thanks for the assistance.
    That might be my fault. If it's FreeAgent you don't need to extract it. Your account will just go over to the new accountant so should be absolutely seemless for you. I'd have taken a backup extract personally but you don't need to if you go to another FA accountant.

Leave a comment:

• ninjamouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
    The changes happened on March 2017 so that seems strange.

Anyhow, as NLUK say, time to move I'd say. 1st Online are freeagent accountants so any transfer should be easy enough.

I've finally spoken to an Accountant at Brooksons. Sounds like there have been major process and tech issues. He said that 1stOption had emailed me about this a couple of months back, but I've not received any emails. Emails are still bouncing from their support address after the accountant said they should now be working.

I've extracted all my data from FreeAgent and getting a new accountant now. Thanks for the assistance.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Strange. There has been no communications from them on this. I've phoned them but they appear pretty clueless about the change. Hmm.
    The changes happened on March 2017 so that seems strange.

Anyhow, as NLUK say, time to move I'd say. 1st Online are freeagent accountants so any transfer should be easy enough.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Strange. There has been no communications from them on this. I've phoned them but they appear pretty clueless about the change. Hmm.
    But did you get anywhere? Below is a list of all the directors. Ask to be put through to one of them. They've got to have a clue if they are directors of both.

MR MARTIN JOHN SCOTT
    MR THOMAS JEREMY SEDDON
    MR ANDREW CHARLES MCGREGOR
    MR MARTIN JOHN HESKETH
    MR MARTIN JOHN SCOTT
    MRS CAROLYN NEVINSON
    MR MARTIN JOHN SCOTT

Time to get your data and get out IMO.

Leave a comment:

• ninjamouse
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Indeed. If you look at the address at the bottom of the webpage

1st Online Limited,
    Registered Office: Brunel House, 340 Firecrest Court,
    Warrington, WA1 1RG.

and compare it to Brookson

Brookson
    Brunel House
    340 Firecrest Court
    Centre Park
    Warrington
    WA1 1RG

Same directors if you compare the two companies on Company Check as well.

Brooksons number is 0800 230 0213. Try them.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
    Aren't they part of Brookson now?
    Indeed. If you look at the address at the bottom of the webpage

1st Online Limited,
    Registered Office: Brunel House, 340 Firecrest Court,
    Warrington, WA1 1RG.

and compare it to Brookson

Brookson
    Brunel House
    340 Firecrest Court
    Centre Park
    Warrington
    WA1 1RG

Same directors if you compare the two companies on Company Check as well.

Brooksons number is 0800 230 0213. Try them.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 15 November 2018, 11:22.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    1stOnline appear to have gone out of business which I'm not particularly happy about. My calls go straight to voicemail. Emails weren't responding to and are now being bounced back. Does anyone know any details of what has happened? Their website is still up 1st Online | Contractor Accountants. They were so slow doing anything and now appear to be doing nothing even though I've paid for their services.
    Aren't they part of Brookson now?

Leave a comment:

• ninjamouse
    started a topic 1stOnline - Gone Out of Business?

1stOnline - Gone Out of Business?

Working...
X