• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Submitting amended accounts to HMRC myself rather than Accountant"

Collapse

• Cirrus
    replied
    I wonder what accountants think of contractors

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
    “it’s not material, forget it.
    The Revenue get you to make a return so they can verify you've paid the right tax. They're supremely disinterested in the minutiae of your business unless it affects tax.

It saddens me that several people on here can't see that you should do things in life for a purpose not just because they are there to be done.

If the tax was right, just forget about it. And go back to carefully lining up all your socks in your wardrobe.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Submitting amended accounts to HMRC myself rather than Accountant

Originally posted by JB3000 View Post
    Companies House accounts may potentially need to be amended too.
    Unlikely, as both will probably appear as “Other Taxation” in current liabilities.

Got to say, if a client asked me to make this change after another accountant made the mistake I’d be inclined to say “it’s not material, forget it. We’ll change it next year” and leave it at that. In fact, I’ve probably spent more time on this thread than I’d spend on the matter in reality if I was the accountant.

Leave a comment:

• JB3000
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
    I thinks it’s an easy enough process to submit the accounts on HMRC’s website but it can take a while.

Your current accountant could load up the trial balance in their system and submit it in, I’d guess, about 20 minutes. You’d be better served by them doing that than them slinging mud by pointing out very minor errors by your old accountant. Seems a bit tawdry and petty to me.
    +1

He just needs to decide if it makes sense for him to spend hours/days/weeks/months trying to figure out how to amend using the HMRC portal (and potentially make even more mistakes) or just simply get the current accountants to spend 20 mins typing out a few figures and clicking submit. The choice seems obvious but for some reason I don't think the OP has twigged. Companies House accounts may potentially need to be amended too.

Hopefully his new accountants can advise on this (assuming he asks his new accountants for the advice rather than just spending his time bashing the old accountants).

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    I thinks it’s an easy enough process to submit the accounts on HMRC’s website but it can take a while.

Your current accountant could load up the trial balance in their system and submit it in, I’d guess, about 20 minutes. You’d be better served by them doing that than them slinging mud by pointing out very minor errors by your old accountant. Seems a bit tawdry and petty to me.

Leave a comment:

• JB3000
    replied
    Originally posted by ravenscroft View Post
    They did.
    Who said I had lack of advice?
    Am I speaking with them on Monday?
    Absolutely no advice here.
    Who said I was messed about by my new accountant.
    Great advice to take control - thanks for heads up.
    Last time I looked I was the MD of my Company.

I was hoping someone with experience of submitting amended accounts would pop up - instead I got pointless comments from 'strangers on the Internet'. Oh well suppose you get what you pay for
    The fact that you are asking for advice about DIY amended accounts from a bunch of strangers on the internet rather than speaking to your current accountant speaks volumes about the service you are getting from your current accountants. If you were being advised properly you wouldn't need to take to the forum for help.

You should be speaking to your current accountants on Monday but then again communication between you and your current accountants doesn't seem to be that great judging by your posts.

You were the one thanking me for my advice about reporting your old accountants to ACCA. This is another thing our current accountants should have advised you on rather than me. Like I say, you only seem to be getting partial advice from your current accountants judging by your posts. You are making your current accountants look really bad (not me).

Regarding DIY accounts, go onto the HMRC website and get your user ID and password for corporation. Log in, type the correct figures in, click on the amended button and click submit. This is another thing that your current accountants could advise you on but for some reason you don't seem to be a big fan of dealing with them.

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    I did my accounts for a while. I went back to a professional because they know how to sort out little problems. As others have said: is it really worth bothering? I don't tell the Revenue everything correctly as long as it doesn't make any difference to anything.

And why are you getting audited accounts? Seems like a waste of money to me.

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    Your posts indicate that you have not be advised well.

You should be.

Incorrect

Oh well suppose you get what you pay for
    Correct

Leave a comment:

• ravenscroft
    replied
    Shame your new accountants didn't mention that the error was small and the fix was easy, and that they could just
    do it at their end. Don't forget to mention this lack of advice you received from them when you speak to them on Monday. Let them know you had to take to speaking to strangers on the internet to figure out everything on your own. It sounds like you have been messed about a bit (by both accountants).
    Try to take control of the situation. You are suppose to be the MD of your company.
    They did.
    Who said I was messed about by my new accountant.
    Great advice to take control - thanks for heads up.
    Last time I looked I was the MD of my Company.

I was hoping someone with experience of submitting amended accounts would pop up - instead I got pointless comments from 'strangers on the Internet'. Oh well suppose you get what you pay for

Leave a comment:

• JB3000
    replied
    Yeah looks like its a simple fix in the accounts getting the correct allocation between VAT and PAYE, so doesn't affect the CT - phew. No my new accountants have been brilliant and in a way feel sorry for them because they have been dealing with a right mess thrown over the fence as everything we look at a bit deeper we just find more errors.
    Ok maybe no-one should feel sorry for accountants.
    Thank You about reporting to ACCA suggestion.
    Really disappointed with my old accountant as I was with them for 10 years - but I couldn't take any more of the recent inaction/incompetence.
    Shame your new accountants didn't mention that the error was small and the fix was easy, and that they could just
    do it at their end. Don't forget to mention this lack of advice you received from them when you speak to them on Monday. Let them know you had to take to speaking to strangers on the internet to figure out everything on your own. It sounds like you have been messed about a bit (by both accountants).
    Try to take control of the situation. You are suppose to be the MD of your company.

Leave a comment:

• JB3000
    replied
    Originally posted by MrButton View Post
    You’re going from SJD to Dolan. Based on your previous posts.

SJD won’t give a toss. I’d assume Dolan would want to help you out. Seems a nice chap.
    +1

If you are leaving a large firm of accountants don't even bother. They are too big to care, and you're too small to do anything.

Just simply call DA on Monday and ask to speak to James: https://www.dolanaccountancy.com/meet-the-team/

Explain the nightmare situation you are in and ask him to help you. He's your accountant, you are paying him, the least he can do is help. Now that you have come on here you will 100% get that help.

Last edited by JB3000; 22 June 2018, 20:39.

Leave a comment:

• ravenscroft
    replied
    A mix up between VAT and PAYE payments doesn't sound that bad. It is only going to affect the debtors/creditors on the balance sheet which is not that bad. It is not going to affect corporation tax which is the main thing. HMRC are give you a for calculating your corporation tax incorrectly.

To be honest, both your accountants come across terribly in this situation. What a palarva.

Your old accountants should fix this mistake for free as a very minimum and if they do not they should be reported to ACCA. After they have fixed the mistake you will then need to talk about some sort of refund/compensation for the time you have lost- they are unlikely to pay this mind you because you have already left and are no longer their customer/their problem.

Or your new accountants should make the correction in this year's accounts. It's just numbers, I' sure they can just delete or 'undo' the offending transaction and just enter it correctly in this year's accounts (rather than going back and messing around with last year). Simples.

I don't get why this is so complicated. Your new accountants have identified the error, just get them to fix it or leave them. Clearly they don't give a crap about you which is not the type of attitude you want in an accountant.
    Yeah looks like its a simple fix in the accounts getting the correct allocation between VAT and PAYE, so doesn't affect the CT - phew. No my new accountants have been brilliant and in a way feel sorry for them because they have been dealing with a right mess thrown over the fence as everything we look at a bit deeper we just find more errors.
    Ok maybe no-one should feel sorry for accountants.
    Thank You about reporting to ACCA suggestion.
    Really disappointed with my old accountant as I was with them for 10 years - but I couldn't take any more of the recent inaction/incompetence.

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    You’re going from SJD to Dolan. Based on your previous posts.

SJD won’t give a toss. I’d assume Dolan would want to help you out. Seems a nice chap.

Leave a comment:

• JB3000
    replied
    I changed accountants and new one they noted that my 16/17 Accounts submission had obvious errors - mix up between VAT and PAYE payments.
    Need to send in amended accounts.
    Previous accountants I now suspect did not even check/review them and they were posted as is.
    Previous accountants want to charge me for submitting amended accounts - when they made the original mistake(s).
    TBH I am getting tired of it all - so what stops me submitting amended accounts myself for myco.
    I have all the original detail/docs that were submitted and know exactly what the error in the data was?
    Thanks
    A mix up between VAT and PAYE payments doesn't sound that bad. It is only going to affect the debtors/creditors on the balance sheet which is not that bad. It is not going to affect corporation tax which is the main thing. HMRC are give you a for calculating your corporation tax incorrectly.

To be honest, both your accountants come across terribly in this situation. What a palarva.

Your old accountants should fix this mistake for free as a very minimum and if they do not they should be reported to ACCA. After they have fixed the mistake you will then need to talk about some sort of refund/compensation for the time you have lost- they are unlikely to pay this mind you because you have already left and are no longer their customer/their problem.

Or your new accountants should make the correction in this year's accounts. It's just numbers, I' sure they can just delete or 'undo' the offending transaction and just enter it correctly in this year's accounts (rather than going back and messing around with last year). Simples.

I don't get why this is so complicated. Your new accountants have identified the error, just get them to fix it or leave them. Clearly they don't give a crap about you which is not the type of attitude you want in an accountant.

Leave a comment:

• Truth Will Out
    replied
    I changed accountants and new one they noted that my 16/17 Accounts submission had obvious errors - mix up between VAT and PAYE payments.
    Need to send in amended accounts.
    Previous accountants I now suspect did not even check/review them and they were posted as is.
    Previous accountants want to charge me for submitting amended accounts - when they made the original mistake(s).
    TBH I am getting tired of it all - so what stops me submitting amended accounts myself for myco.
    I have all the original detail/docs that were submitted and know exactly what the error in the data was?
    Thanks
    Is there a tax impact? ie will the amendments result in you paying more CT or receiving a refund? If the answer is no and the error is not material (huge) why bother - have the current accountant restate the last years figures when they submit your current years info.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    I'm probably not the 1st person who has had accounts submitted and then a mistake found - don't care who's fault it was, trying to understand how it was remedied.
    Yes these are unaudited.
    Don't have an issue as it will get solved (the whole issue is just wasting my time) - but my old accountants want to charge me to fix it etc.
    You sacked them. Now you want them to do some work for free?
    It ain't gonna happen.

It doesn't matter if they made a mistake as you signed it off. If they were still your accountant then they'd probably rectify for free, but they're not.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X