• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to process payment of IR35 contracts"

Collapse

• MartinWH
    replied
    Deemed Payment

I don't understand that last post at all.

Assuming all your contracts are inside IR35:
    • Add up all your invoice amounts (ex VAT) received in the tax year (NB date of receipt not date of invoice)
    • Subtract 5%
    • Subtract allowable expenses such as pensions

Your are now left with a number like £100000

You must now calculate the 'Deemed Payment' (DP). The DP is just is how much the employee is paid when the employer makes a total payment of £100000:

£100000 = DP + ERNI

It's not a difficult calculation but I don't have the details with me. Let's say the DP is £86000. This is the salary payment to the employee (you) and you now pay income tax and EENI on the DP. There is a calculator on the HMRC website (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-c...oyment-payment) which you can use to check your calculation. You can only do this all this at the year end so you can pay yourself an estimated amount monthly in a standard PAYE scheme and deduct the tax and NI from the end of year figures.

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    An example (we will ignore vat, as you pay it anyhoo)

You are on say £10k a month - a great amount in anyone's wallet

Let's say you work away from home in London and have £2.5K expenses

From your massive £10K you will pay approx 50% in taxes - leaving £5k to take your £2.5Kexpenses from

Or £16 a hour net to your bank account

HMRC pocket £32 an hour

The other £16 you spent in expenses

Sorted ?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by rawcane View Post
    Hi
    While I have found lots of information on ir35 rules I cannot find much on how to handle contracts inside ir35 through a limited company. In a nutshell does the company have to pay the extra NI/tax and still decide on salary/dividend split or does all the money earnt (or 95%) have to be declared as individual earnings?
    Thanks
    Mark
    There's not going to be any dividends (unless you run the company empty) - you take 5% off the invoices as that's your allowance, then any allowed expenses outside the 5% (eg pension), then pay the rest as PAYE / NI.

If you have alternative income outside IR35 then you could pay the IR35-caught income into your pension and salary (at whatever level) to reduce the payments due.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Just go with an umbrella? Ones like Contractor Umbrella offer a nice pension option where you can put as much as you want in to minimise your liability.

Leave a comment:

• rawcane
    started a topic How to process payment of IR35 contracts

How to process payment of IR35 contracts

Hi
    While I have found lots of information on ir35 rules I cannot find much on how to handle contracts inside ir35 through a limited company. In a nutshell does the company have to pay the extra NI/tax and still decide on salary/dividend split or does all the money earnt (or 95%) have to be declared as individual earnings?
    Thanks
    Mark

Working...
X