• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "RBS Business - avoid! Recommendations please..."

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by JustRodders View Post
    As if it couldn't get any more ridiculous...

When I called them I was told I'd need an activation code for online/telephone banking. Which I requested and one duly arrived by SMS the next day. I called them up and quoted the number, it seemed to work just fine and they put me back through the phone system to choose a pin number. I then asked to set up a payment over the phone, but there was a technical glitch and I was short on time by this point so I said I'd call back this week to do it.

Just called them tonight, and they said that because I've ordered a card reader they can't do it over the phone, unless I order an activation code - which would be sent by post within 3-5 working days!

You can't make this nonsense up. I'm laughing about it because there's absolutely nothing else I can do.

Chances are that I can't get another account opened in time for my next invoice to be settled. So I may as well just persevere with getting this account to function properly, and then take time to choose an account with a bank that knows its arse from its elbow.

I accept that I might have been a bit naive about what I had to do to get the account functioning how I needed it. But now I've made a lot of effort and it seems RBS are largely incapable of what should be a simple and standard thing.
    Unfortunately all banks **** up with some customers.

The difference between one bank and another how they treat you as a customer when they **** up.

Leave a comment:

• JustRodders
    replied
    As if it couldn't get any more ridiculous...

When I called them I was told I'd need an activation code for online/telephone banking. Which I requested and one duly arrived by SMS the next day. I called them up and quoted the number, it seemed to work just fine and they put me back through the phone system to choose a pin number. I then asked to set up a payment over the phone, but there was a technical glitch and I was short on time by this point so I said I'd call back this week to do it.

Just called them tonight, and they said that because I've ordered a card reader they can't do it over the phone, unless I order an activation code - which would be sent by post within 3-5 working days!

You can't make this nonsense up. I'm laughing about it because there's absolutely nothing else I can do.

Chances are that I can't get another account opened in time for my next invoice to be settled. So I may as well just persevere with getting this account to function properly, and then take time to choose an account with a bank that knows its arse from its elbow.

I accept that I might have been a bit naive about what I had to do to get the account functioning how I needed it. But now I've made a lot of effort and it seems RBS are largely incapable of what should be a simple and standard thing.

Leave a comment:

• JustRodders
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    Just for balance I had zero problems opening a business account with RBS; went in the branch and found out what to do, had a 'business meeting' and took in some ID, got an account, got a PIN machine thingy and cheque book, all fairly straightforward. Use online and app without any trouble. Maybe I'm too simple.
    Sounds great. I suppose the difference might be that I applied online so went through a different process. But, to be fair, you'd hope that a bank would be able to simplify and standarize the account opening process regardless of how the customer approaches them.

In any case, it's all too late for RBS and I. As soon as I can I'll be moving my account elsewhere. Hopefully Metro, though they haven't opened a branch near me yet....it's on the cards for later this year.

Leave a comment:

• yMyjgT
    replied
    I use Barclay's, and just do the basics with it. payments in and out, direct debits, pay cheques into branches occasionally.

Reasonably easy to set it up.
    Internet banking seems quite good to me.
    Mobile app works well, and isn't a PITA to log into (5 digit pin and you're in)
    Freeagent feed is easy to setup, and doesn't require giving free agent your Online banking log in details - Barclay's seem to be on the ball in this area.

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    Banks in general are useless. My personal banking is with First Direct, who continually win awards for customer satisfaction, but in all honesty only do what you would expect them to do.
    And their Online Banking and mobile app are quite poor, in my opinion. As that's how I interact with a back mostly, this is why I'll be moving elsewhere at some point for my personal banking.
    Last edited by yMyjgT; 11 April 2017, 09:45.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Just for balance I had zero problems opening a business account with RBS; went in the branch and found out what to do, had a 'business meeting' and took in some ID, got an account, got a PIN machine thingy and cheque book, all fairly straightforward. Use online and app without any trouble. Maybe I'm too simple.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    It's time both offered a proper service and came out to meet you rather than the other way around.
    Agents or bankers visiting me at home? Thanks, but no thanks. Banks don't need to close their branches, they need to keep them open outside of other people's work hours and on weekends.

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    ID vetting is a part of life these days. All banks are obliged to meet you in person and take a copy of your photo ID of choice. The same applies to employers. They have to be sure you are entitled to work in the UK. This can be interesting when banks are closing branches everywhere and agencies may be no-where near you or the client site.

I've had many agencies just accept a copy of your passport as an email attachment but they are supposed to see you in person and verify that the photo matches.

It's time both offered a proper service and came out to meet you rather than the other way around.

Banks in general are useless. My personal banking is with First Direct, who continually win awards for customer satisfaction, but in all honesty only do what you would expect them to do. They still block my card every time I go to Thailand despite me phoning them to say I am going. They then try to phone me at home and get no reply.

I've worked for 3 banks and a card payment company and wouldn't trust any of them to get things right.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    TL;DR

W&G programme was shut down last year so that won't happen.

I use HSBC, they're ok. I don't expect much though. Initial free banking and now it's £5.50 a month. Online and app banking work well, rarely need to talk to a human.

Metro were good when I opened a personal savings account so I could empty my penny jar into their machines (you don't need an account to use them btw). I did contemplate moving over to them but CBA.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by JustRodders View Post
    Metro.
    Zero hassle. Account/online banking opened on the spot. Also check the branch opening days/hours and compare them with the likes of Lloyds, NatWest, etc.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    No necessarily.

Service varies due to the person you are dealing with and how they deal with queries and issues.

I've had shocking service from Nationwide for example so much so the FOS made them pay me compensation.
    Hence my use of the word "some".

Totally agree

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    This +1.

It will be interesting how you handle you other business from now on in.
    Some of the moans people have on here with regards to certain services, baking, accountancy etc. often seem entirely of their own making.
    No necessarily.

Service varies due to the person you are dealing with and how they deal with queries and issues.

I've had shocking service from Nationwide for example so much so the FOS made them pay me compensation.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Simple solution is to ditch RBS and open an account elsewhwere that is easier to do.
    This is also a good idea. Has the OP looked at any of the challenger banks. Metro and Cashplus open accounts instantly I believe. Nothing fancy but probably enough for a straightforward contractor.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Simple solution is to ditch RBS and open an account elsewhwere that is easier to do.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    I have a degree of sympathy with the OP. Opening a business accounts can be painful. I had thought that RBS had their act together though. You do need to read through the paperwork but if you opened it in a branch then I agree the staff should have helped you.

That said, as a service provider myself, I do find myself dealing with complaints from clients when the real problem is with the client. Today, I received a strongly worded complaint because we filed a clients accounts late with companies house. Never mind that the client didn't provide us with information through the year like the SLA states he should. Never mind that he never provided is with bank statements (paper copies I might add) until four days before filing deadline. And never mind that he still took three weeks to sign off the accounts despite emails, calls and text messages. It was still out fault. Such is the lot of a service provider in the entitled age.

Leave a comment:

• JustRodders
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    I've got two RBS Business accounts for two different businesses.

Never had a problem with them. Account set up was easy and if you took notice of the literature they gave you you'd know you had to request a card reader to set up or change payments. You don't need the card reader once the payment is set up. You're criticising them for not acting upon the information you gave them when it looks like you are guilty of exactly the same thing. And you're unhappy cause you can't bypass their system ??? Really ?? LOL
    Reasonably fair point. I'll have to check back through the paperwork to see if they did, indeed, tell me that. However, apparently I don't need a card reader if I have an activation code. So, I'll check the paperwork for reference to that too.

And, apparently, my existing NatWest card reader should work, but they didn't ask if I already had one and give me no option to use it instead of the RBS supplied one. But they told me on the phone that it would work, so it's a bit of a farce. That's what I meant about bypassing the system - I have a card reader, but they provide no way to let me use it despite telling me that it'll work.

It just seems ridiculous to me that I can set up a bank account which is automatically able to receive payments, but isn't automatically able to make payments. I can't imagine why one would ever want such an arrangement!

The joke continues this morning. I received an activation code, by SMS which is the fastest possible route. I should be happy. Except there's no option to enter it online, so I guess I have to call them again.

This is 2017, stuff like this should be very straight forward. That's my complaint.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X