• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Moving to limited?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Moving to limited?"

Collapse

• missinggreenfields
    replied
    Originally posted by angryhippo
    Going limited and not taking maximum advantage of the allowances is when you will not maximise the advantage. Read this on all the possible allowances and make sure you take advantage: More tax "smart" crap linkage
    Good point, well made.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Drei View Post
    Honestly I am not sure but it didn't look like it had any, just a one month notice however if it did have one it seems they never found out and my acquaintance was lucky.

Bull or not know I just stated the facts.
    Facts? You just admitted you didn't know so I don't believe there was a single fact. You stated a load of made up bollocks. Not facts.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    They say every man's got a book in them, I see potential for a series here
    Bob Showaddiwaddi and the Contractor's Tulip

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    He does have a few cool stories bro, no doubt about it.
    They say every man's got a book in them, I see potential for a series here

Leave a comment:

• Drei
    replied
    Honestly I am not sure but it didn't look like it had any, just a one month notice however if it did have one it seems they never found out and my acquaintance was lucky.

Bull or not know I just stated the facts.
    Last edited by Drei; 26 May 2016, 08:19.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    WALOB. No handcuff clause?
    I had to google that

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Let me rephrase. Person got £128 a day from the agency and the agency dealt with it as an umbrella. The person was directly employed by the said agency, was receiving payslips p60 etc.

The agency however was charging the client around £190, confirmed with the person. Role was PMO and this individual was a perm previously.

The 6 months went by and it was renewal time (3 mths rolling). The individual gave the agency notice one month I believe, talked to the client and went direct at £250 a day.

Moral is that they are £122 a day better off, which comes to about £2600 more a month which comes to £32K a year... pretty damn big difference.

£250 a day low be it is still £5500 a month and £66K a year.

Big difference from the £33K they were initially on, don't you think? So NO Mr smarty pants it isn't a saving of ONLY £20 on Tax...

Now if you find your own contract and decide to employ the services of an umbrella company, which by the way it can also be any of us that have a Ltd company
    The umbrella will take their cut for doing your taxes, whatever that may be. As i said, I worked it out and the difference came to about £2500 (not including umbrella fee).
    WALOB. No handcuff clause?

Leave a comment:

• Drei
    replied
    Well to quote the agency "if you don't have a Ltd we can provide you with an Umbrella service" hence the reason they worked for the agency.

I have just started a 3 month rolling contract and using contractorumbrella.
    But yes you are correct. Since the OP didn't make it clear, I have no idea what their deal is. Could be employed via the agency direct or be using an umbrella once they secured their £400 a day contract.

That's why I said best case scenario double their earnings, minimal diff scenario about £2500. Depends how much 2.5K means to someone.
    Last edited by Drei; 25 May 2016, 14:24.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Let me rephrase. Person got £128 a day from the agency and the agency dealt with it as an umbrella. The person was directly employed by the said agency, was receiving payslips p60 etc.

The agency however was charging the client around £190, confirmed with the person. Role was PMO and this individual was a perm previously.

The 6 months went by and it was renewal time (3 mths rolling). The individual gave the agency notice one month I believe, talked to the client and went direct at £250 a day.

Moral is that they are £122 a day better off, which comes to about £2600 more a month which comes to £32K a year... pretty damn big difference.

Big difference from the £33K they were initially on, don't you think? So NO Mr smarty pants it isn't a saving of ONLY £20 on Tax...
    So he was PAYE through the agency and not with an umbrella at all... Ah we are getting somewhere... So the umbrella isn't taking anything and in fact didn't even exist?

Leave a comment:

• Drei
    replied

Now if you find your own contract and decide to employ the services of an umbrella company, which by the way it can also be any of us that have a Ltd company
    The umbrella will take their cut for doing your taxes, whatever that may be. As i said, I worked it out and the difference came to about £2500 (not including umbrella fee).
    Last edited by Drei; 25 May 2016, 14:06.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    hi i have umbrella because i have no idea about anything. Can i go limited so i can save 20£ on tax????

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Not so sure. Remember we always say the percentage depends on the rate. If the agent needs 30 quid a day out of a contractor it's going to be a massive chunt of 128 compared to 500. There has to be a level where it's just not worth his while.

Does kick off a debate that someone earning 128 a day shouldn't really be a contractor, they should be temping.

The going direct and charging more isn't a standard model either so I wouldn't be reading too much in to that even if it is true.
    He does have a few cool stories bro, no doubt about it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    So the agency was taking 30% of £128? Sounds like your "friend" got shafted and didn't shop around, although the bigger shafting was by the agency taking best part of 50%!
    Not so sure. Remember we always say the percentage depends on the rate. If the agent needs 30 quid a day out of a contractor it's going to be a massive chunt of 128 compared to 500. There has to be a level where it's just not worth his while.

Does kick off a debate that someone earning 128 a day shouldn't really be a contractor, they should be temping.

The going direct and charging more isn't a standard model either so I wouldn't be reading too much in to that even if it is true.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Made the assumption that the OP got a contract via an Agency on a 3 month rolling. Foxwell did so with someone I knew a while ago, 3 months rolling with the NHS. The umbrella agency was taking %30 from their daily rate. The person was on £128 a day and the agency was charging the client £185. Eventually they gave the the agency the boot and went direct charging £250 a day.
    So the agency was taking 30% of £128? Sounds like your "friend" got shafted and didn't shop around, although the bigger shafting was by the agency taking best part of 50%!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Umbrella agency?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X