• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Take a big dividend this year?"

Collapse

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Yes, as indicated above, you can do this at any time via an SA303 or, perhaps more conveniently, in the "Payments on Account" section of your SATR/SA100.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by iainp999 View Post
    I asked my accountant about this as I'm taking a large dividend this tax year, as a one-off.

She says that she can apply to reduce the payments on my tax return, so I shouldn't need to do anything.

HTH.
    Essentially that is what we are talking about, reducing the payments on account, either you can do it yourself, or get your accountant to do it.

Leave a comment:

• iainp999
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    I did the same, but will reduce the payment on account as has already been suggested.
    I asked my accountant about this as I'm taking a large dividend this tax year, as a one-off.

She says that she can apply to reduce the payments on my tax return, so I shouldn't need to do anything.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Gaz_M View Post
    How do you do this?
    You ask your accountant about it to make sure it fits the purpose in your situation and then if it does they will advise how to do it i'd say.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Gaz_M View Post
    How do you do this?
    Complete form SA303 either by post or online.

Leave a comment:

• Gaz_M
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    You can reduce the payment on account if you want (assuming you're not going to extract £100k next year, and you're confident about that).
    How do you do this?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I risked it and bumped by income to £100k. I didn't think about the tax on account thing. Too late now! I guess I'll get it back eventually. If my circumstances change I could live to regret it of course
    You can reduce the payment on account if you want (assuming you're not going to extract £100k next year, and you're confident about that).

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I risked it and bumped by income to £100k. I didn't think about the tax on account thing. Too late now! I guess I'll get it back eventually. If my circumstances change I could live to regret it of course
    I did the same, but will reduce the payment on account as has already been suggested.
    Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 30 March 2016, 00:11.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    If you don't need it then leave it alone. IMHO. at the moment the reason everyone is fed up is because the higher rate will be 32% not 25% but if George gets his way then the higher rate threshold will go up to 50k and you will be able to take more out at the lower 7% tax threshold.

Leave a comment:

• dogzilla
    replied
    If you don't need the money I'd be tempted to leave it in the business until you do need it.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Trouble is taking a wodge over the lower rate means you have to also pay next years tax on account as well so it's like being taxed at 80% in a way....
    Only if you don't reduce the payment on account (i.e. because you don't plan to take a large dividend the next year). If you're wrong, you'll pay interest on the difference, of course.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Trouble is taking a wodge over the lower rate means you have to also pay next years tax on account as well so it's like being taxed at 80% in a way....

Leave a comment:

• Pherlopolus
    replied
    If I had your problem, I would take it out now also...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I was being a little tongue in cheek as my standard line is asking accountants but I think in this case I would be factoring a lifestyle choice in over tax efficiency.

There is more than enough money there to not have to let the tax tail wag the dog. If I had that kind of money in the business I'd be quite happily taking a tax hit to enjoy my personal life... If you've no significant other half you' best enjoy it while you can....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X