• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Limited Company Closure Route"

Collapse

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Is it possible for you to give proper answers? Or do we have to presume you are trolling?
    If they aren't trolling, it would be good to know where they work, so they we can all avoid that firm like the plague.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by UK Contractor Accountant View Post
    No because I am phoenixing it. new company for new contracting project.
    Is it possible for you to give proper answers? Or do we have to presume you are trolling?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Are you actually Phoenixing? I thought this was around failed businesses to avoid liabilities. Closing and opening to use tax advantages is different now?

Leave a comment:

• badgernumber1
    replied
    Seriously? This is a property developer?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• john@UKCA
    replied
    Originally posted by badgernumber1 View Post
    Would that be because of the line of business or just the amount involved? Or both? :-) I mean does 'property contractor' imply an investment company (so that ER isn't available)? Or is it just that they stand to gain more if they can disallow the relief?

Leave a comment:

• badgernumber1
    replied

Now the one I sent for a MVL last week for £850K for a property contractor is one HMRC would be interested in!
    Would that be because of the line of business or just the amount involved? Or both? :-) I mean does 'property contractor' imply an investment company (so that ER isn't available)? Or is it just that they stand to gain more if they can disallow the relief?

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Which company do you work for? Every other accountant on here lets us know, so can you confirm whether you are from ukcontractoraccountant dot com or are you just a UK contractor accountant?

TIA
    Would you believe the answer if one was given? It's either a sockie or someone from another company set out to discredit them.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Now the one I sent for a MVL last week for £850K for a property contractor is one HMRC would be interested in!
    Which company do you work for? Every other accountant on here lets us know, so can you confirm whether you are from ukcontractoraccountant dot com or are you just a UK contractor accountant?

TIA

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Originally posted by biztalk View Post
    Apologies guys
    But I kinda feel like my thread is hijacked !
    NOW, it's been hijacked. :-)

Leave a comment:

• john@UKCA
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Having been fair, I want to go back to your comment that triggered the disagreement. This is what you said:

Just two points here:
    1. There was no "this is my understanding" disclaimer, you were stating it with certainty as a fact. Thus, the criticism by Maslins was entirely warranted.
    2. Your final sentence was a nonsense. If there is no problem coming back to contracting, it is NOT because ER is not claimed, but because of the substance of the case. The claiming of ER, or not, is irrelevant to the question. It is the decision to take the funds as capital gains, rather than as dividends, that creates any potential risk here. That option is available without ER because of the small amount, but it does not eliminate the risk that if HMRC decide you did a winding up just to take profit as capital, rather than as dividends, they will challenge it. The use or non-use of ER is irrelevant to that problem.
    The point of the sentence - he is not claiming ER which is the flag HMRC will look for on any Tax Return submitted claimng the relief. Claiming ER post 6 April = increased risk if returning to contracting or phoenixing.

In OP's case the distribution does not even need to be disclosed on his or his wife's Tax Return so HMRC are unlikely (risk close to zero as can be) to pick this up for review/investigation.

Leave a comment:

• john@UKCA
    replied
    To be fair, JB, "UK Contractor Account" was responding at that point to someone other than the OP, and it was a distribution well under £25K, probably under £10K, in view.
    its so small that it doesnt even need to be shown on a Tax Return - so how would HMRC even know he had received a capital distribution?

So the risk is zero or close to zero as can be.

Same risk as anybody in the UK submitting a Tax Return to HMRC.

Unless he has a 'stash' in an undisclosed offshore bank account.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I dont mean to be rude either - but really what would you know.
    Well as a contractor and therefore a potential customer I'm not really feeling it.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 14 March 2016, 19:54.

Leave a comment:

• john@UKCA
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I don't want to be rude but are you really expecting to run business under this brand? It's..erm... Not going so well for you so far.. :
    I dont mean to be rude either - but really what would you know.

Leave a comment:

• john@UKCA
    replied
    Yes.

It was foolish to say there is no risk (anyone want to bet this "accountant" that has started posting here isn't ICAEW?),
    What's ICAEW? is that some sort of International Coalition Against Enforced (contractor) Workers.

Please send link so that to I can join

Leave a comment:

Working...
X