• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Need advice on starting first contract + laptop"

Collapse

• sociopath
    replied
    [QUOTE=SueEllen;2195196]A capable machine NOT two machines.

Just buy the one you need for this contract. Next year or in two years time if you need more equipment then then buy it because you will probably want to buy a new smartphone before that.[/

This.

I would assume the contract specifies the requirements for you to supply your own equipment and have all the necessary software and anti-virus.

As a business you would need a computer to operate. Depending on the work you undertake there may be a need for two monitors. However, there is no business justification for buying two computers.

Do you already have a business registered? Business bank account etc? What are your plans if this contract was to falls through?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Rafd View Post
    Good Advice thanks! I guess the problem for me is there are too man unknowns right now. e.g will I be able to (and want to) use clients machines when on site? When working remotely will it always be from home or will I go slowly mad and want to use a co-working/hot desk space some or all of the time in which case I may need a portable machine. Will it be inconvenient constantly switching between several machines - perhaps I'm better off on my own laptop even on client site?
    OK, these are good questions to ask about what may or may not happen in the future. They are not questions which need to be answered before you even start your first contract.
    "I might want to work from an office space" Not on day 1, not on week 1, not in month 1. You don't need to think about what to buy now to answer a question that might not even arise.

As for your own computer on the client network - highly unlikely. What is more likely is that the client will supply you with a computer to do the work. That type of thing needs to be in the contract - who supplies the hardware and software for you to do the job. The last time I bought a laptop through my company was 5 years ago. It has never been on a client site and only gets used to raise paperwork and keep a track on my accounts. I won't be buying another one until it's necessary.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Usually clients will not let you connect directly, to the corporate network, on site, with your own machine.

Obviously, when working remotely you would need your own.

Leave a comment:

• Rafd
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    OK, if you can't work productively on a laptop, then you don't need a laptop. Buy a desktop to do your work. One monitor not multiple. And it doesn't need to be 4K.
    Use your iPad when you are on a train.

After you have submitted a couple of invoices, then consider getting more of kit you want.

If money is tight then you need to make sure you have enough in your bank account to pay for things. Remember, if you start your first gig next week and are on normal 30 day terms, you will not be getting paid until mid Feb. Your money to travel to the client, to buy food, etc, will need to last until after your first payment. But before you get your first payment you will have to pay for setting up your company and getting accountancy sorted out. Those payments have to come from somewhere.

Be patient, get what you NEED to do your job. Work out what it is you NEED, not what you want, and spend within your means.
    Good Advice thanks! I guess the problem for me is there are too man unknowns right now. e.g will I be able to (and want to) use clients machines when on site? When working remotely will it always be from home or will I go slowly mad and want to use a co-working/hot desk space some or all of the time in which case I may need a portable machine. Will it be inconvenient constantly switching between several machines - perhaps I'm better off on my own laptop even on client site?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Be patient, get what you NEED to do your job. Work out what it is you NEED, not what you want, and spend within your means.
    That's not very, bloody, British.

Do you want the economy to fail

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    OK, if you can't work productively on a laptop, then you don't need a laptop. Buy a desktop to do your work. One monitor not multiple. And it doesn't need to be 4K.
    Use your iPad when you are on a train.

After you have submitted a couple of invoices, then consider getting more of kit you want.

If money is tight then you need to make sure you have enough in your bank account to pay for things. Remember, if you start your first gig next week and are on normal 30 day terms, you will not be getting paid until mid Feb. Your money to travel to the client, to buy food, etc, will need to last until after your first payment. But before you get your first payment you will have to pay for setting up your company and getting accountancy sorted out. Those payments have to come from somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    My old home pc is from 2006.. not really worth repairing.
    Try and recycle.....

Leave a comment:

• Rafd
    replied
    So, you need a good laptop, but there's no NEED for a desktop. You might want one, but a high spec laptop will give you the portability you require.
    You also don't NEED 2 monitors on day 1. In fact, if you can do development on the laptop then maybe until you get your first month's pay in the bank, you would probably be better not to waste your money on any monitors.
    Work off the laptop with no desktop, no multi-monitor setup until you're settled into the contract. Then once you have cash flow you could look at buying 1 or 2 monitors.

BUT, if you were only off work for one year, I.e. You were contracting in 2014 with a home made computer, then why was the computer ancient? It's only a couple of years old! Why not go out and buy a new HDD for it - that will cost <£100 and will keep you going, along with the monitor you must still have for it!
    Sorry I failed to mention this is my first time contracting. My old home pc is from 2006.. not really worth repairing.

From others comments it seems the advantage of buying things up front is the VAT saving before I register for flat rate. Disadvantage is obviously the risk that the contract will end or not be renewed and the up front cost would not be justified.

I cant work as productively on a laptop sized screen so going to have to spend 1 or 200 on a bigger display. My old pc was running a 15 inch display after my bigger one packed in so no better than a laptop screen.. Far lower res too!
    Last edited by Rafd; 14 January 2016, 09:22.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    This has gone off topic.. I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!
    You are posting in a forum, allegedly, full of analytical people, what did you expect?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Not off topic as your contract can be pulled anytime the client likes.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    So, you need a good laptop, but there's no NEED for a desktop. You might want one, but a high spec laptop will give you the portability you require.
    You also don't NEED 2 monitors on day 1. In fact, if you can do development on the laptop then maybe until you get your first month's pay in the bank, you would probably be better not to waste your money on any monitors.
    Work off the laptop with no desktop, no multi-monitor setup until you're settled into the contract. Then once you have cash flow you could look at buying 1 or 2 monitors.

BUT, if you were only off work for one year, I.e. You were contracting in 2014 with a home made computer, then why was the computer ancient? It's only a couple of years old! Why not go out and buy a new HDD for it - that will cost <£100 and will keep you going, along with the monitor you must still have for it!

You may say this has gone off topic, but you've asked for advice from people who have some experience, and most of us are giving you the same advice. Just cause it's not what you want to hear doesn't make it bad.

Leave a comment:

• Rafd
    replied

Yes, desktop + laptop seems an odd choice but I am considering it. I will work 75% remotely but need to work in the client office about 25% plus on the train so I think a laptop is going to be useful. I may even end up working partly from home and partly from a co-working space.

I want a high spec machine as my main workstation so I have two options: Spend on a high end quad core laptop (perhaps 1500), or spend 700 on an much faster desktop as my main home dev machine then the other 800 on a less powerful but lightweight dual core laptop for light/mobile use.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    A capable machine NOT two machines.
    Quite.

Ex-corp "refurb" laptop with 8GB RAM ~£270
    New 500GB SSD ~£140
    Docking station ~£30
    Big ass monitor ~£360

And enough change out of a grand to get a really comfy desk chair. <-- that's the 'productivity' bit right there.

Leave a comment:

• NCOTBAC
    replied
    Sorry to maybe point the obvious out here but the OP is aware that just because the company pays for its not free right? Around 80% or so still comes out of his pocket. Thought I'd mention it just in case.
    Someone else may come back with a more accurate percentage

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Not really (I hope!).. cash is kind of tight right now so not wanting to blow money for no reason. However, the fact is I will need a capable machine for this contract.
    A capable machine NOT two machines.

Just buy the one you need for this contract. Next year or in two years time if you need more equipment then then buy it because you will probably want to buy a new smartphone before that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X