• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Making a new company dormant"

Collapse

• MrButton
    replied
    Thanks very much.

I did have a business bank account which I closed.

I will close the company and write to HMRC and confirm with them if I need to do anything further.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers
    Ben

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Dormant company: what must a company do to stay dormant?

might help.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by JB3000 View Post
    Most, if not all, of the above is complete nonsense

Just simply submit Form DS01 to Companies House to close the company (if you have a company bank account it will be frozen) and write to HMRC to let them know that it was dormant and now you are planning to strike off so no corporation tax returns are due. Companies House and HMRC will then write back confirm the company is being struck off and no accounts/corporation tax are due.

Feel free to call CoHo and HMRC Corporation tax if any of the above steps are not clear- both offices are very helpful.
    The bit that was nonsense was my belief that the capital transactions (which do exist) were still significant accounting transactions whci would force non dormant accounts. Yes, this was wrong.

the specific situation the op is in appears to need Aa02 form.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The OP hasn't started trading so there may not be any transactions.
    There has to be a transaction. The initial shareholders have to exist; even if nil paid that will cause a capital transaction. However it appears there is a specific exemption for this (I didn't think there was) . Ie it is not necessarily a significant accounting transaction.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    You will need accounts for this year because there have to be transactions of a capital nature related to the shareholders.
    The OP hasn't started trading so there may not be any transactions.

So s/he can simply wait until the company is struck off by not filing anything.

I know people who have done that in the past as they also didn't have a company bank account. However the OP hasn't told us this information.

Leave a comment:

• JB3000
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    You will need accounts for this year because there have to be transactions of a capital nature related to the shareholders.

it should be fairly cheap to get these done if you are not confident.

I suspect in these circumstances it is not uncommon for the directors to resign and let nature take its course culminating in strike off.

the company of course is committing an offence by having no directors but that should have no comeback on the last director resigning. Being a director is a personal choice and I fail to see how a court could sucessfully force reinstatement. If the company were trading it could be a different story.
    Most, if not all, of the above is complete nonsense

Just simply submit Form DS01 to Companies House to close the company (if you have a company bank account it will be frozen) and write to HMRC to let them know that it was dormant and now you are planning to strike off so no corporation tax returns are due. Companies House and HMRC will then write back confirm the company is being struck off and no accounts/corporation tax are due.

Feel free to call CoHo and HMRC Corporation tax if any of the above steps are not clear- both offices are very helpful.
    Last edited by JB3000; 28 December 2015, 20:40.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied

it should be fairly cheap to get these done if you are not confident.

I suspect in these circumstances it is not uncommon for the directors to resign and let nature take its course culminating in strike off.

the company of course is committing an offence by having no directors but that should have no comeback on the last director resigning. Being a director is a personal choice and I fail to see how a court could sucessfully force reinstatement. If the company were trading it could be a different story.
    Last edited by ASB; 28 December 2015, 17:54.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    https://www.gov.uk/strike-off-your-c...n-your-company

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    Cool thanks very much. I'll do that then.

Is there anything special I need to do to close it down and do I need an accountant to do anything?

Cheers
    Ben

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Close the company down completely and open a new one when you need it
    It's easier and cheaper.
    This.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Close the company down completely and open a new one when you need it
    It's easier and cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    started a topic Making a new company dormant

Making a new company dormant

Hi Guys,

I incorporated my company with companies house in August this year with the intention to become a self employed IT contractor. I have not registered for TAX or VAT yet and the business hasn't begun trading. I am a single director.

However I have recently taken a permanent role and won't be reassessing my position until the end of next year (2016).

I don't know what I need to do. Do I need to make the company dormant and do I need to file company books? and personal tax returns?

Is it worth hiring an accountant to take care of this for me?

Thanks!
    Ben

Working...
X