• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractor pensions.."

Collapse

• jbg
    replied
    Originally posted by syrio View Post
    Yes, it is that simple.

Obviously check with your SIPP provider that you can make company contributions to the SIPP, but they are almost certainly all going to say yes. They will have to know if you are making company contributions so that they don't attempt to reclaim the tax for you.
    Thanks. I have seen that the SIPP providers I am looking at all have arrangements for employer contributions, so it all looks fairly straightforward.

Leave a comment:

• jbg
    replied
    Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    Ask him what exactly does he mean by "a company scheme". That's probably how the contributions will be recorded in the company accounts. The SIPP is opened by and individual to you. I think there used to be separate schemes referred to as "director's pension" but that distinction is long gone years ago.

If you want it to be that simple, yes. You can of course take advice from an IFA too if you want. There's no specific notification to HMRC if that's what you mean.

Procedure for making payments will depend on the SIPP provider. It should include a declaration whether the contribution is personal or company. For company contributions it must be direct from the company account - cheque/DD/transfer is OK but which of these is accepted again depends on the SIPP provider.
    Yes - I will ask my accountant what he means by "a company scheme". He may be thinking of auto enrollment (although we had just established that it doesn't apply for my company).

The SIPP providers I have looked at all have specific arrangements for employer contributions.

Thanks - your explanation confirms my understanding.

Leave a comment:

• syrio
    replied
    Originally posted by jbg View Post
    Is it really as simple as opening a SIPP of one's choosing and making payments from the company account or are there any constraints/procedural formalities to consider?
    Yes, it is that simple.

Obviously check with your SIPP provider that you can make company contributions to the SIPP, but they are almost certainly all going to say yes. They will have to know if you are making company contributions so that they don't attempt to reclaim the tax for you.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I use HL because their platform is excellent, customer service is good and as their fees are £200 a year this works out very competitive, transaction fees are a little steep (£11.95 a time) but seeing as I don't make many trades its not a big deal and any dividends reinvested do not attract a fee.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    I would like to ask about this. I have a ltd company and would like to make contributions to a SIPP, direct from the company (within the 40K limit). I have already established that auto enrollment will not apply.

My accountant is trying to get me to use his favourite IFA (I am not keen). He also said I could make contributions to a SIPP but it would have to be "a company scheme".

Is my accountant missing the point? I see many folk here are making contributions to SIPPs, direct from their ltd companies.
    Ask him what exactly does he mean by "a company scheme". That's probably how the contributions will be recorded in the company accounts. The SIPP is opened by and individual to you. I think there used to be separate schemes referred to as "director's pension" but that distinction is long gone years ago.

Is it really as simple as opening a SIPP of one's choosing and making payments from the company account or are there any constraints/procedural formalities to consider?
    If you want it to be that simple, yes. You can of course take advice from an IFA too if you want. There's no specific notification to HMRC if that's what you mean.

Procedure for making payments will depend on the SIPP provider. It should include a declaration whether the contribution is personal or company. For company contributions it must be direct from the company account - cheque/DD/transfer is OK but which of these is accepted again depends on the SIPP provider.

Leave a comment:

• jbg
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    You don't need an IFA. Just open an account with a SIPP provider and make employer contributions.
    I would like to ask about this. I have a ltd company and would like to make contributions to a SIPP, direct from the company (within the 40K limit). I have already established that auto enrollment will not apply.

My accountant is trying to get me to use his favourite IFA (I am not keen). He also said I could make contributions to a SIPP but it would have to be "a company scheme".

Is my accountant missing the point? I see many folk here are making contributions to SIPPs, direct from their ltd companies. Is it really as simple as opening a SIPP of one's choosing and making payments from the company account or are there any constraints/procedural formalities to consider?

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    I have never understood why Hargreaves Lansdown are so popular, as they are more expensive than several alternatives, once your balance is significant.
    Originally posted by syrio View Post
    You will see that Hargreaves Lansdowne can be expensive, although their customer service is supposedly very good.
    This ^

I'm a passive investor. I've chopped and changed brokers a few times due to poor service or web platform revamps that went pants. Finally this year I decided to try HL and so far very impressed compared to the other (4) so called "low cost" brokers. In fact HL are similarly low cost if you only do ETFs/shares in an ISA, it's funds and the SIPP that attract charges.

My SIPP is with youinvest and they also charge an annual fee, the HL platform is better IMHO but I prefer to keep the nest eggs scattered in multiple baskets so to speak.

Leave a comment:

• JB3000
    replied
    Originally posted by Kenny@MyAccountantFriend View Post
    I would recommend speaking to an IFA (independent financial advisor) and they can go through the options with you and the most suitable to the risks you are willing to take.
    Getting an IFA is good advice for consultants who can't be bothered to do their own research

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    This is a good comparison table, but it's nearly a year old.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    You don't need an IFA. Just open an account with a SIPP provider and make employer contributions.
    IFA have to charge you for any advice they give and there are plenty of internet sites that give you advice about pensions.

The general advice about funds is that if you aren't an active investor choose index trackers.

Leave a comment:

• syrio
    replied
    Open an account with a low cost SIPP provider. See Compare the UK’s cheapest online brokers for a list of brokers. You will see that Hargreaves Lansdowne can be expensive, although their customer service is supposedly very good.

You normally apply online, then probably there will be a little bit of paperwork to sign. Might take up to a couple of weeks before everything is sorted.

Make a payment into the pension. For company contributions this is paid directly to the pension from your company. If it is a personal contribution you will pay from your personal account. You will probably need to fill in some form to tell your pension provider whether it is a company or personal contributions so that the provider knows whether to reclaim tax or not.

If you don't know what to invest in, I suggest read Smarter Investing by Tim Hale and the Monevator blog, then invest in a Vanguard Lifestrategy fund.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Hi OP you don't mention what sort of pension you have in mind. Several replies above assume it is some sort of SIPP.

I have a bog standard private pension scheme dating back to my permie days. Probably not the best pension but that's not the point here. I pay contributions to it direct from the company. It is an efficient way to get money out of the company.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied

I have never understood why Hargreaves Lansdown are so popular, as they are more expensive than several alternatives, once your balance is significant.

I use Youinvest, but I think there are one or two other providers that may be cheaper now, such as Interactive Investor.

DIY pensions: The cheapest Sipp fund supermarkets - Telegraph

Note that it can make a difference whether you use unit trusts/OEICs or ETFs. In the latter case the Youinvest fees are at most £150, rather than £350 as stated in that table.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 12 August 2015, 16:10.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by zudecke View Post

Any tips?
    Don't take tips from friends.
    Do a bit more of your own research if you don't know how to do something.

HTH BIDI

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    Contractor pensions advice :: Contractor UK

Leave a comment:

Working...
X