• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Abbey Tax and VAT inspection - Cracking service"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Although it is also fair to say that through your IPSE membership, Abbey will deal with all interested parties when a member is progressing a claim, including the accountant.
    Which is what happened in my case. No problems. NW were happy to provide whatever help or info I needed off them with no charge and Abbey were happy to put it all together/speak to HMRC etc.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Lets hope it isn't the start of anything else coming.
    Sometimes IR35 investigations can start off the back of a VAT investigation, luckily at least he has insurance in place to negate this.
    Abbey Tax told me its perfectly normal to expect a VAT check within 2-3 years of incorporation. They try to do this whenever possible,

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied
    This thread inspired me to get IPSE+ after being on the fence for a while.

Some lucky bugger got £10 amazon voucher cos I used their code. I dunno who, I just searched the forums and picked the first one I found

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I suspect that come year end, I shall be opting for the latter rather than paying yet again for the cover.

But I have until the end of November to do that, so plenty of time to consider what's the best course of action.
    Then you can give me your MGM code again.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    If you aren't going to use the new service, you aren't paying twice. You are simply paying more for your accountancy service, and you have to decide whether you are happy enough with it to justify paying that increase, or whether you want to save the money and change accountants.
    I suspect that come year end, I shall be opting for the latter rather than paying yet again for the cover.

But I have until the end of November to do that, so plenty of time to consider what's the best course of action.
    Last edited by TheFaQQer; 10 August 2015, 19:59.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
    Louisa makes a valid point. With IPSE cover, or indeed director over, FSB, etc, the accountant is out of the loop on matters. With cover arranged through the accountant, things are a little more seemless.

My firm uses Abbey Tax under an insurance scheme, having moved from Taxwise when Qdos split off. Having seen the frustration of some clients in dealing with the likes of Abbey/Qdos direct, mainly around communication, I believe having the accountant involved adds value and enables the client to have a better, more joint together, service.
    Although it is also fair to say that through your IPSE membership, Abbey will deal with all interested parties when a member is progressing a claim, including the accountant.

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    Originally posted by Louisa@InTouch View Post
    Just for some further clarification, if you were to go through IPSE membership, it is your responsibility to liaise with Abbey Tax first to ensure that any professional accountancy fees are approved by them, before your accountant takes over.

If you fail to do this, Abbey Tax have the right to refuse covering the costs for professional accountancy fees incurred during the HMRC investigation.

If the accountancy costs are approved by Abbey Tax, your Personal Accountant will invoice Abbey Tax directly.

If you choose to claim through Intouch, we’ll take the hassle away - by notifying your Personal Accountant as soon as you receive an enquiry from HMRC, we’ll liaise with Abbey Tax on your behalf.

So saving you time and effort, to leave you doing what you do best!
    Louisa makes a valid point. With IPSE cover, or indeed director over, FSB, etc, the accountant is out of the loop on matters. With cover arranged through the accountant, things are a little more seemless.

My firm uses Abbey Tax under an insurance scheme, having moved from Taxwise when Qdos split off. Having seen the frustration of some clients in dealing with the likes of Abbey/Qdos direct, mainly around communication, I believe having the accountant involved adds value and enables the client to have a better, more joint together, service.

Leave a comment:

• Louisa@InTouch
    replied
    Just for some further clarification, if you were to go through IPSE membership, it is your responsibility to liaise with Abbey Tax first to ensure that any professional accountancy fees are approved by them, before your accountant takes over.

If you fail to do this, Abbey Tax have the right to refuse covering the costs for professional accountancy fees incurred during the HMRC investigation.

If the accountancy costs are approved by Abbey Tax, your Personal Accountant will invoice Abbey Tax directly.

If you choose to claim through Intouch, we’ll take the hassle away - by notifying your Personal Accountant as soon as you receive an enquiry from HMRC, we’ll liaise with Abbey Tax on your behalf.

So saving you time and effort, to leave you doing what you do best!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    If you aren't going to use the new service, you aren't paying twice. You are simply paying more for your accountancy service, and you have to decide whether you are happy enough with it to justify paying that increase, or whether you want to save the money and change accountants.

IPSE includes things in their package I don't want. I'd gladly pay less and strip some of that stuff out. I decided the price is worth it for the things I do want.
    That's a fair way of looking at it I guess.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    That's the thing - there's a lot of other stuff included in the IPSE+ membership fee which you're not going to get from your accountant.

So people will either forego the other IPSE benefits and stick with the accountants cover, change accountants so they're not paying for stuff they don't use, or do nothing and pay twice (the lazy option - probably most of us!)

IPSE includes things in their package I don't want. I'd gladly pay less and strip some of that stuff out. I decided the price is worth it for the things I do want.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by youngguy View Post
    I haven't looked in any detail but if that is the case then this possibly just means a rather large increase on fees for no additional benefit.

If we could cancel IPSE as we got the same cover, it would be a big plus for us and InTouch in terms of their offering above other online accountants. If that isn't the case some clients may start to wonder whether they move to one of the other online forms (Nixon Is about £95 per month for example?)

I get a very good service from InTouch btw and have no complaints so I'm not suggesting there will be a mass exodus, but price is important when the offerings appear to be very similar across the board for online accountants.
    That's the thing - there's a lot of other stuff included in the IPSE+ membership fee which you're not going to get from your accountant.

So people will either forego the other IPSE benefits and stick with the accountants cover, change accountants so they're not paying for stuff they don't use, or do nothing and pay twice (the lazy option - probably most of us!)

Leave a comment:

• youngguy
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    No, I'm not making a saving, I'm paying twice for the same cover, which I'd sooner not do. My other cover (IPSE+) gives me a lot more than just the tax cover, so it's not a case of simply cancelling existing cover.

Edit: FWIW, I think it's a useful offering - just that it should be optional.
    I haven't looked in any detail but if that is the case then this possibly just means a rather large increase on fees for no additional benefit.

If we could cancel IPSE as we got the same cover, it would be a big plus for us and InTouch in terms of their offering above other online accountants. If that isn't the case some clients may start to wonder whether they move to one of the other online forms (Nixon Is about £95 per month for example?)

I get a very good service from InTouch btw and have no complaints so I'm not suggesting there will be a mass exodus, but price is important when the offerings appear to be very similar across the board for online accountants.

Leave a comment:

• Louisa@InTouch
    replied
    Yes of course, we will be providing these to all clients before the service starts from 1 October 2015.

And if you then have any further questions on the policy, then feel free to give us a call

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Many thanks Louisa.

Will your clients be receiving a written policy document detailing all benefits/ exclusions?

Leave a comment:

• Louisa@InTouch
    replied
    The cover that we have does include:

- check of employer records
    - employer compliance
    - employer compliance visits

For any enquiry, we expect to be the accountants doing the work in defending our clients and this way we deal with the Insurance company on your behalf and can take the lion's share of the admin hassle out of it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X