• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lunch as a business expense."

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I thought lunch wasn't claimable - only like brekkie and evening meal if your out early/late cos of work?
    Depends on your company's policy.

Lunch is claimable for employees not working at home site under 24 month rule, but not if you are self-employed.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    PMSL at stek avatar

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    I thought lunch wasn't claimable - only like brekkie and evening meal if your out early/late cos of work?
    Subsistence associated with business travel.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If it's a valid business expense, then to not claim it is daft. Look after the pennies etc.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If it's a valid business expense, then to not claim it is daft. Look after the pennies etc.
    I have to admit I can never be arsed to keep hold of all my coffee receipts etc. I just claim for lunch and leave it at that.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    nando's is questionable full stop.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    Weekday Lunch near where you work is ok, but a Cheeky Nando's with your mates Saturday Night may be questionable.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I knew one contractor who religiously collected lunch receipts and claimed them, even the 89p (subsidised) coffee.....

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    I knew one contractor who religiously collected lunch receipts and claimed them, even the 89p (subsidised) coffee.....
    i sit next to that guy, he even takes my receipt if I paid more for my lunch than he did on a day

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Snarf
    replied
    Originally posted by Kenny@MyAccountantFriend View Post
    Could class as business entertainment.

No CT relief but a you can claim a refund for the expense from your company.
    Great, Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Kenny@MyAccountantFriend View Post

I agree, that's the sensible approach, it's also true in the context of what you described.

Leave a comment:

• Kenny@MyAccountantFriend
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Snarf
    started a topic Lunch as a business expense.

Lunch as a business expense.

Afternoon,

I almost dread to ask but I have had a google and found nothing conclusive...

Last week I took a couple of the clients staff out for lunch to discuss a project that we are working on in a more informal setting, it didn't come to much (£50ish) and I paid it on my personal card and didnt think anymore about it until earlier today when I was doing my end of month expenses.. Does anyone think that there would be a problem with classing that as a valid business expense/client entertainment?

Its probably going to be a one off... so if I cant have it as an expense its hardly the end of the world... Too small a matter to bother the accountant with...

Anyway, Thanks in advance.

Working...
X