• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: USA visa advise

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "USA visa advise"

Collapse

• centurian
    replied
    Even if you were being paid by a US company, it may be okay, although it's closer to the mark.

Depends on whether you define yourself as a worker or a business supplier. You can visit under the VWP programme to sell, sign contracts, attend meetings etc. - you can also return to "install/service" the product that has been sold and produced.

The key part is whether you are doing substantive work while physically in the US. If the dev work is being done in the UK and the visits to the US are purely for meetings and/or delivery of the product, this is usually okay.

However, three weeks of gathering requirements could be defined as substantive work - a short trip for this purposes probably comes under "attend meetings", but at some point it becomes substantive work.

But it should be possible to remain within the regulations as long as you keep a clear separation.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Yes, if you otherwise qualify for the VWP, there shouldn't be a problem, based on the limited information provided. You cannot do "productive work" (e.g. sit at a desk writing code, produce engineering drawings, conduct training, work on a building site), but you can gather requirements, attend meetings, and deliver presentations etc. You may encounter questions upon re-entry in a short space of time, but simply explain what you're doing.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Have a look at this thread...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...rking-usa.html

Leave a comment:

• bell1987
    started a topic USA visa advise

USA visa advise

Ive been searching for a clear answer to my question but have not fully found it so hoping for some advise.

Can I enter the USA on the visa waiver program from the UK to do an 8 week contract which will entail business meetings for 3 weeks to gather information on their business, returning to the UK for 2 and then back to the US for 3 weeks to deliver my findings. I would be contracted to a UK agency and paid by them not a US company. I believe the answer is no but most information on the web seems to relate to being paid by the US company.

Thanks

H

Working...
X