• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What do you think is a "reasonable" amount for client meal/drinks?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    What, essentially to say 'look at me! Arent I a smary twat? I picked up a tab of 1800 quid to impress my bosses'?

Er, yeah ok.
    He said he did it to get CC bonuses, not to show off. He made money out of that part!

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by TechJinx View Post
    I believe thats the point of the "Accounting" forum........
    What, essentially to say 'look at me! Arent I a smary twat? I picked up a tab of 1800 quid to impress my bosses'?

Er, yeah ok.

Leave a comment:

• ContrataxLtd
    replied
    nonsense. Interim management, setting up PMOs, programme teams and new departments etc is no different to any other interim stopgap role.

No the accountant does - then you pay nothing.
    https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-bene...report-and-pay
    You beat me to it TechJinx!

Martin
    Contratax Ltd

Leave a comment:

• TechJinx
    replied
    Originally posted by Forbes Young View Post
    If you operating as an independent contractor outside of IR35 but are on the client's "senior management team", it doesn't look good from an IR35 perspective.
    nonsense. Interim management, setting up PMOs, programme teams and new departments etc is no different to any other interim stopgap role.

Originally posted by Forbes Young View Post
    In addition, business entertainment is not tax allowable so you should be including this on your P11D.
    No the accountant does - then you pay nothing.
    https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-bene...report-and-pay

Leave a comment:

• TechJinx
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Wow, talk about being superficial.
    I believe thats the point of the "Accounting" forum........

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    £600 and don't hassle the other permie SMT for there share, as when they say 'share' they mean the contractors pay

It's a xmas tax on suppliers

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Wow, talk about being superficial.

Seeing as £1200 of the £1800 is being repaid to you, why not just claim the £600 and have done with it?

Personally, I wouldnt be putting my hand in my pocket for Christmas for a couple of reasons but that's just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Forbes Young
    replied
    After the opinion of those who have claimed client entertainment back before from their company.

We had our work meal out on Friday and for expediency (and CC cashback....) I picked up the tab for 30 odd people, ~£1800. The food money of ~£1200 was collected in advance and it's being transferred to me. The management team (including me) said we'd split the drinks part ~£600 between us. (Well I was told that they always do that and contractors are generally encouraged to put a bit more in...)

I've asked my accountant but he's said you cant get an official figure for whats "reasonable" so I was wondering which part of this might look reasonable for me to claim back as I've got all the receipts. I've just secured a 6 month extension which I'm sure is in no way linked to my putting some money behind the bar but who knows....

My date rate is pretty reasonable and I am on the senior management team so it's not a daft suggestion that I might have to put my hand in my pocket around xmas butits my first Xmas as a contractor so not sure what's sensible.
    If you operating as an independent contractor outside of IR35 but are on the client's "senior management team", it doesn't look good from an IR35 perspective. In addition, business entertainment is not tax allowable so you should be including this on your P11D.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    But I do get to add it to my personal allowance before paying higher rate which I've hit as I got a payout from my old employer before I started so it does make a bit of difference tax wise
    So pay £600 then.

Leave a comment:

• TechJinx
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    since it's not a business expense for corporation tax purposes, and you can't reclaim the VAT on it, it's a question of what you want to pay rather than anything that is related to your accounts.
    But I do get to add it to my personal allowance before paying higher rate which I've hit as I got a payout from my old employer before I started so it does make a bit of difference tax wise

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    How many people are on the management team? If it's just the two of you, then £450 out of the £600 would be reasonable to me. If it's ten of you, then pick up less than that.

Pick a number that you are happy with and pay that - since it's not a business expense for corporation tax purposes, and you can't reclaim the VAT on it, it's a question of what you want to pay rather than anything that is related to your accounts.

Leave a comment:

• What do you think is a "reasonable" amount for client meal/drinks?

After the opinion of those who have claimed client entertainment back before from their company.

We had our work meal out on Friday and for expediency (and CC cashback....) I picked up the tab for 30 odd people, ~£1800. The food money of ~£1200 was collected in advance and it's being transferred to me. The management team (including me) said we'd split the drinks part ~£600 between us. (Well I was told that they always do that and contractors are generally encouraged to put a bit more in...)

I've asked my accountant but he's said you cant get an official figure for whats "reasonable" so I was wondering which part of this might look reasonable for me to claim back as I've got all the receipts. I've just secured a 6 month extension which I'm sure is in no way linked to my putting some money behind the bar but who knows....

My date rate is pretty reasonable and I am on the senior management team so it's not a daft suggestion that I might have to put my hand in my pocket around xmas butits my first Xmas as a contractor so not sure what's sensible.

Working...
X