• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Invoice - New to Contracting"

Collapse

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo View Post
    No, that is not correct. An employee of a UK company, seconded to work abroad in the EU is not liable for tax in the destination country provided their secondment lasts lkess than 183 days. That is the entire content and point of the 183 day rule in fact.

Boo2
    Completely wrong I'm afraid.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Sue Ellen is quite right on this issue.

Contractors' Questions: Can I use my limited company to work outside of the UK? :: Contractor UK

the 183-day rule, in the vast majority of cases, does not apply to contractors working through their Limited Company. If you start a contract in a foreign country, you are liable for income tax on that income in that country from day one: tax is due where money is earned.
    The 183 day rule determines whether you are tax resident. However non-tax residents still pay tax. This is a bit of a myth that if you are not tax resident you have no tax obligations.

Just as an example here is the UK goverment site on the tax obligations of a non-tax resident.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence

Non-residents only pay tax on their UK income - they don’t pay UK tax on their foreign income.
    As Sue Ellen has pointed out there are exceptions. In fact if you work for a UK based client in Germany for less than 183 days you can indeed use your Ltd and you are exempt from German tax. This does not apply though to a UK agency, i.e. it is the end client that counts. e.g. when the contractor is a supplier to a UK company installing equipment in Germany.

There are one or two posters who actually do that.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 May 2015, 11:40.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    No, that is not correct. An employee of a UK company, seconded to work abroad in the EU is not liable for tax in the destination country provided their secondment lasts lkess than 183 days. That is the entire content and point of the 183 day rule in fact.

Boo2
    Wrong for the reasons I listed above.

I'm on a phone so can't provide links.

There is a thread about Germany on this board anyway. The OP should read that.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 13 May 2015, 13:18.

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    So while a company can send an individual to work in another EU state, depending on that country's tax laws that individual may have to pay personal taxes on income earned in that country from day one. However the company will not have to pay company taxes in that country for at least 183 days if the company is not considered resident.

Boo2

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    No, you are wrong. The 183 day rule is a fundamental treaty obligation that each member state of the EU must honour and which is enforceable through the European court.

Boo
    The treaty is interpreted differently in different EU countries.

So while a company can send an individual to work in another EU state, depending on that country's tax laws that individual may have to pay personal taxes on income earned in that country from day one. However the company will not have to pay company taxes in that country for at least 183 days if the company is not considered resident.

For example in the case of Germany, France and Norway the government tries to tax individuals from day one on income earned in that country. In the case of Sweden and Finland the government taxes individuals on income earned in that country only if they spend more than 183 days in the country.

Added to that there is not no consistency in the EU of how those days are calculated, and whether a limited company with one director is considered resident in that country or not.

Some of the large consultancies e.g. Accenture have tried to get around personal tax laws for their staff and found they can't.

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Doesn't work like that unfortunately.

Each EU country has it's own rules about it.
    No, you are wrong. The 183 day rule is a fundamental treaty obligation that each member state of the EU must honour and which is enforceable through the European court.

Boo

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Or your Ltd Co can send any employee to work in any other EU country for up to 183 days per year without them falling under the destination countries tax laws under the 183 day rule.

Boo2
    Doesn't work like that unfortunately.

Each EU country has it's own rules about it.

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    The right way is to pay tax on German earned income in Germany.
    Or your Ltd Co can send any employee to work in any other EU country for up to 183 days per year without them falling under the destination countries tax laws under the 183 day rule.

Boo2

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by OzBound View Post
    Thank you for your reply mrv.

You are correct, I signed the contract myself ( with full name, no more details though ). Do you think that fact that I'm an authorised signatory/proxy in my relative's company would make some difference here? I could basically invoice Darwin and sign it myself on behalf of the mentioned company... Wouldn't that be similar to how umbrella companies work?
    I did some research and it looks like there is no need for me to register a business in Germany for such a short contract. I also wouldn't have to pay a double tax..
    Suggest iron guard on your arsehole.

fooked.de...

Leave a comment:

• EXPATTAX
    replied
    Hi OzBound, I wonder how things have developed for you. Let me know what you have done in the meantime. All sorted? Still questions? New questions arising? Let us know, maybe we can shed some more light on things for you.

Leave a comment:

• OzBound
    replied
    Originally posted by mrv View Post
    You have 2 issues here:
    1. You have signed your contract as "you". That is bad, mmkay, because only the person/entity that signed the contract can invoice Darwin, not some friend, not a company of your neighbour, and this means you must be able to issue an invoice yourself. You could check with Darwin if they would accept an invoice from a 3rd party on your behalf, but 97,34% of the time they will say "no". So you must get some sort of business going on yourself asap. You can try becoming a freelancer in Germany, or you can get some sort of personal company or freelancer status in Poland as well, whatever is easier and quicker. But check if your polish freelancer or whatever status allows you to do business in the EU, because you're international man of financial mystery!

2. Taxes. This depends on how you sort #1. If you go german way, you will pay german taxes in Germany. If you go polish way, you need to check what does the double taxation treaty say about that. If it's only 5 weeks, doubt you will become resident for tax purposes in Germany, usually it takes 183 days yadda yadda, but I could be wrong here, so check. Then get an accountant to sort out your money for you, or do that yourself if you know how, and happy sailing!
    Thank you for your reply mrv.

You are correct, I signed the contract myself ( with full name, no more details though ). Do you think that fact that I'm an authorised signatory/proxy in my relative's company would make some difference here? I could basically invoice Darwin and sign it myself on behalf of the mentioned company... Wouldn't that be similar to how umbrella companies work?
    I did some research and it looks like there is no need for me to register a business in Germany for such a short contract. I also wouldn't have to pay a double tax..

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by mrv View Post

2. Taxes. This depends on how you sort #1. If you go german way, you will pay german taxes in Germany. If you go polish way, you need to check what does the double taxation treaty say about that. If it's only 5 weeks, doubt you will become resident for tax purposes in Germany, usually it takes 183 days yadda yadda, but I could be wrong here, so check. Then get an accountant to sort out your money for you, or do that yourself if you know how, and happy sailing!
    You are wrong.

The rule in Germany is:

Pay tax on your German sourced income in Germany otherwise the German taxman will chase you all over the world for the money and claim you owe them a bit more. Darwin and the client will be happy to oblige the German taxman and give them all information necessary to chase you.

Leave a comment:

• mrv
    replied
    You have 2 issues here:
    1. You have signed your contract as "you". That is bad, mmkay, because only the person/entity that signed the contract can invoice Darwin, not some friend, not a company of your neighbour, and this means you must be able to issue an invoice yourself. You could check with Darwin if they would accept an invoice from a 3rd party on your behalf, but 97,34% of the time they will say "no". So you must get some sort of business going on yourself asap. You can try becoming a freelancer in Germany, or you can get some sort of personal company or freelancer status in Poland as well, whatever is easier and quicker. But check if your polish freelancer or whatever status allows you to do business in the EU, because you're international man of financial mystery!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    This is a UK based site OzBound so you are lucky people are giving you help at all.

In Germany if you are a contractor you need to make yourself a freelancer ('Freiberufler'). This means you do everything as a person not through a company structure.

I suggest you use google to find out the ins and out of how you need to register etc. There is plenty of stuff on the internet about it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X