• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "overpayment by umbrella"

Collapse

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Has he paid them back yet?
    Why should he? It's his money after all

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Has he paid them back yet?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Put
    square bracket capital S close square bracket before it
    and square bracket slash capital S close square bracket after it.

Glad I could finally contribute something.
    Thanks Only took me 3 attempts but we got there in the end

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    People have lots of good words to say about proper umbrellas - they have lots of bad words to say about dodgy tax avoidance schemes.

(That was going to be a FTFY but I can't figure out how to cross out a word which is mildly irritating so if someone could explain that would be great - thanks)
    Put
    square bracket capital S close square bracket before it
    and square bracket slash capital S close square bracket after it.

Glad I could finally contribute something.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by gandy666 View Post
    thanks for the genuine answers to my original question.

given that people generally do not have a good word to say about umbrellas dodgy tax avoidance schemes, myself included, i did not anticipate the level of abuse I recieved. i've been on this site a while and things have obviously changed.

anyway, moving on...
    FTFY
    Last edited by LisaContractorUmbrella; 9 October 2014, 07:30. Reason: Technical improvement from Expat

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
    We really do need a troll emoticon exterminator.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• rsingh
    replied
    We really do need a troll emoticon.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    hi guys hope you can help with the following:

I worked with an umbrella for 3 weeks when I started my new contract. I gave them a weeks notice as required that I was leaving them to start operating under a limited company. I recieved the 3 weeks wages from them as expected. they promised me something like 85% take home, though it was actually more like 66%. usual umbrella fabrication.

My agent then began paying me as a vat registered limited company directly into my company bank account. All was well with the world.

The umbrella then paid me an extra week, even though I wasn't working with them any more. They paid this money before the agent paid them, even though the agent was not going to pay them as I had left the umbrella and gave them the required notice. the agent knew this, the umbrella knew this.

the umbrella then starts hassling the agent looking for a wage to cover the weeks overpayment, and the agent informs them that no wage is coming as I am now working through my limited company.

the umbrella then writes a letter to me stating they have made an error and can they have their money back.

where do I stand legally?

thanks
    You've been overpaid FFS! Where do you think you stand legally and morally?

If you've been underpaid, do you think it would be OK for the umbrella to say tough tulip!?

Originally Posted by gandy666 View Post
    why should I - they made the mistake
    'Kin hell!
    Last edited by BolshieBastard; 6 October 2014, 20:13.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    why should I - they made the mistake
    Because if you don't you'd be a thief.
    You can't get an ought from an is, and all that... but assuming you don't want to be a thief, then you ought to give it back

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    given that people generally do not have a good word to say about umbrellas, myself included, i did not anticipate the level of abuse I recieved. i've been on this site a while and things have obviously changed.
    But this has nothing to do with umbrella companies. If you were a full-time employee and one month your employer made a mistake and paid you double, do you not think they'd ask for it back? Do you really think you'd be entitled to keep it?

Leave a comment:

• gandy666
    replied
    thanks for the genuine answers to my original question.

given that people generally do not have a good word to say about umbrellas, myself included, i did not anticipate the level of abuse I recieved. i've been on this site a while and things have obviously changed.

anyway, moving on...

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    go **** yourself
    That's shown me the error of my ways.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    <pedant>any travel and subsistence expenses won't be valid, but others may be</pedant>
    Fair point, but since the majority of brolly expenses are T&S it's probably moot

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    You are legally required to pay back any overpayments as they were your employer.

However you can have some say over how you pay it back e.g. 5p a week for the next x amount of weeks.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    That's solved that question, a moronic troll is the answer.

Oh since he only did one assignment via the brolly any expenses he claimed won't be valid either
    <pedant>any travel and subsistence expenses won't be valid, but others may be</pedant>

Leave a comment:

Working...
X