• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "SJD - what are the best alternatives (apart from NW)?"

Collapse

• lucozade
    replied
    I didn't have the best of experiences with SJD and didn't like operating with the "80s look and feel" spreadsheets.

I moved to Crunch and I'm glad I did. the web page driven process is superb.

Account Manager and Accountant response times are also very good.

Happy to recommend Crunch.

Leave a comment:

• simondolan
    replied
    Originally posted by morf View Post
    Simon who owns SJD posts here so get him to investigate your issues?
    Always happy to...

Leave a comment:

• JB3000
    replied
    Originally posted by Goggy View Post
    Any other good alternatives?
    Before you sign up with another firm of accountants make sure you find out about exit fees. One firm of accountants may look cheap per month but may have an unexpected exit fee (whereas a more expensive firm may not have any exit fee). This point may help you in case you become dissatisfied again.

Leave a comment:

• Martin at NixonWilliams
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    PM sent Martin.

qh
    Hi quackhandle,

Thank you for getting in contact with me and for removing your comments.

Martin

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    PM sent Martin.

qh

Leave a comment:

• Martin at NixonWilliams
    replied
    Hi quackhandle,

I tried to help you when you made a similar comment around this time last year but you did not reply.

I am not aware of who you are or what the circumstances were, however I can tell you that if we had made an error that cost our client then we would normally compensate for this. It is for this reason that I am keen to find out what happened and explain our position.

I would appreciate it if you would contact me at martin.brennan(at)nixonwilliams.com.

Martin
    Last edited by Martin at NixonWilliams; 4 August 2014, 11:52.

Leave a comment:

• GillsMan
    replied
    My accountant is, as far as I can tell, a one-man band and on average I wait around 5 working days for a response. If it's urgent, I'll call him, but I rarely have an enquiry that needs to be answered straight away.

To the OP, getting an answer within about 24 hours is bloody good IMO.

Leave a comment:

• JB3000
    replied
    I was with SJD for several years, then when on perm and then again contracting after 2 years
    I was so happy with them, that didn't have any doubts when opting for them again
    They were always prompt replying emails(literally within an hour I would get a reply) and the reply was always very detailed. I also like that they have a convenient spreadsheet that helps me tracking my finances.

BUT...

This time round I'm very frustrated as they charge bit of money to them, but the service is appalling
    Emails sent today at 4-5 would be get answered between 4-30 - 5-30 pm next day. Answers are very brief, that make me write a response asking for clarificatrion each time. So essentially by the midday 2 days later day I'd get a proper answer. So annoying! Certain things I had to chase up. Documents are filled to HMRC in last minute
    After raising issues, I was given another accountant, but the approach to the service is still the same - late and shallow replies.
    So I feel like I'm wasting money with them to be honest.

I find their spreadsheet very convenient and the fact that they had office in the City helped a lot in my previous contracting(I could easily arrange a meeting with my accountant when required), so I wouldn't opt for NW from this perspective.
    Having to wait a day or two when you are paying SJD fees (which are relatively high compared to other firms charging £40 - £60 + VAT) must be very frustrating for you.

Unfortunately every accountancy firm's service ultimately depends on the individual accountant assigned to you (as opposed to the overall reputation of the firm- your experience with SJD is a good example of this). For example, you could go to NW and end up with their worst/most junior accountant, or could go to a really cheap accountancy firm and end up with their best accountant. Consequently what you really need is the names of the best individual accountants within ANY firm (including SJD). As this information may be hard to obtain you may benefit from taking a shot with a cheaper firm of accountants (an expensive firm is not necessarily a sign of excellence). I believe Cheap Accounting charge £43.50+VAT, K&B Accountancy Group charge £50+VAT and Crunch charge £65+VAT.

However from reading the other posts within this thread it appears that NW or In Touch are probably the way to go.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    I've had three accountants, Paystream; were okay at first but started getting HMRC acc. nos wrong, wouldn't admit it, general awful attitude so walked away.

<Comments regarding NW omitted>

SJD now very good, no probs so far (once you get your head around their spreadsheet).

you pays yer money...

qh
    Last edited by quackhandle; 4 August 2014, 11:12.

Leave a comment:

• Vanilla
    replied
    No problems with Intouch so far, great on timely notifications of key events like VAT returns, personal tax payments etc and a very intuitive web portal for inputting information. I have been with them for over 2 years.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    I was with SJD for several years, then when on perm and then again contracting after 2 years
    I was so happy with them, that didn't have any doubts when opting for them again
    They were always prompt replying emails(literally within an hour I would get a reply) and the reply was always very detailed. I also like that they have a convenient spreadsheet that helps me tracking my finances.

BUT...

This time round I'm very frustrated as they charge bit of money to them, but the service is appalling
    Emails sent today at 4-5 would be get answered between 4-30 - 5-30 pm next day. Answers are very brief, that make me write a response asking for clarificatrion each time. So essentially by the midday 2 days later day I'd get a proper answer. So annoying! Certain things I had to chase up. Documents are filled to HMRC in last minute
    After raising issues, I was given another accountant, but the approach to the service is still the same - late and shallow replies.
    So I feel like I'm wasting money with them to be honest.

I find their spreadsheet very convenient and the fact that they had office in the City helped a lot in my previous contracting(I could easily arrange a meeting with my accountant when required), so I wouldn't opt for NW from this perspective.
    Why not NW - because you cant meet them?

Been with NW for 3 years now. Never met my accountant, never even spoken to him on the phone. He emails me and I email him. Everything gets sorted.
    Brilliant service as well.

As opposed to a local accountant who I had a few years back. Met him 2-3 times, had to speak to him about 15 times wasting my time, then realised they knobhead was clueless.

Leave a comment:

• morf
    replied
    Simon who owns SJD posts here so get him to investigate your issues?

Leave a comment:

• Apox21
    replied
    Originally posted by ronanm View Post
    I am with SJD and happy enough with them.

I think you get the next month's fee waived if they don't get back to you within 24 hours or something. In four years, I haven't caught them out yet alas.
    I keep trying to catch them out on that clause too and also never suceeded!!!!

Leave a comment:

• ronanm
    replied
    I am with SJD and happy enough with them.

I think you get the next month's fee waived if they don't get back to you within 24 hours or something. In four years, I haven't caught them out yet alas.

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied
    I used SJD for many years and they were ok, then I moved to Nixon Williams and I have to say they are absolutely amazing. Have been with them for over 5 years and I would definitely recommend them. Email responses are using always within a few hours, they're always available on the phone, they don't make mistakes and things like end of year accounts get prepared really quickly after year end. Have had many in depth phone calls - I've never needed a face to face, so I wouldn't be put off by location. Plus as my business has grown in unexpected directions, resulting in more complexity for them (e.g. stacks of tiny invoices each month), they've just taken it all on without a word of complaint or an increase in fees.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X