• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Wrong Thread.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wrong Thread.

This is The Wrong Thread.

HTH.

Where is the right thread?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      This is The Wrong Thread.

HTH.

If the wrong thread is the wrong thread does this mean it the right thread?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        If the wrong thread is the wrong thread does this mean it the right thread?
        No thats the Left Thread
        Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
          No, that's the Left Hand Thread
          FTFY
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            I've always found left hand threads very confusing.
            Me too...I recently started to work on (small) engines and some basic Clanky engineering for a hobby and encounter them all too frequently. Prior to this hobby, I hardly ever came across them. Been mucking around with engines for over 40 years now and they were a rarity...

If you know the story about "Dead-Eye Dick, the only man with a corkscrew pr.." - Oops, forgot that this was not in "general".
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              Me too...I recently started to work on (small) engines and some basic Clanky engineering for a hobby and encounter them all too frequently. Prior to this hobby, I hardly ever came across them. Been mucking around with engines for over 40 years now and they were a rarity...
              They are found on bicycles; the left pedal mounting has a left hand thread and the right pedal has a right hand thread; this is to stop the pedals working loose as one's feet turn them round.

Wikipedia lists the following applications;

Where the rotation of a shaft would cause a conventional right-handed nut to loosen rather than to tighten due to fretting induced precession. Examples include: The left hand pedal on a bicycle.[3]
              The left-hand grinding wheel on a bench grinder.
              The lug nuts on the left side of some automobiles.
              The securing nut on some circular saw blades - the large torque at startup should tend to tighten the nut.

In combination with right-handed threads in turnbuckles and clamping studs.[4]
              In some gas supply connections to prevent dangerous misconnections, for example in gas welding the flammable gas supply uses left-handed threads.
              In a situation where neither threaded pipe end can be rotated to tighten/loosen the joint, e.g. in traditional heating pipes running through multiple rooms in a building. In such a case, the coupling will have one right-handed and one left-handed thread
              In some instances, for example early ballpoint pens, to provide a "secret" method of disassembly.
              In mechanisms to give a more intuitive action as: The leadscrew of the cross slide of a lathe to cause the cross slide to move away from the operator when the leadscrew is turned clockwise.
              The depth of cut screw of a “Stanley” type metal plane (tool) for the blade to move in the direction of a regulating right hand finger.

Some Edison base lamps and fittings (such as formerly on the New York City Subway) have a left-hand thread to deter theft, since they cannot be used in other light fixtures.
              Last edited by Mich the Tester; 17 April 2014, 14:46.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

righty tighty
                lefty loosy

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  righty tighty
                  lefty loosy
                  Is this a comment on the sexual behaviour of young female students?
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Is this a comment on the sexual behaviour of young female students?
                    Apparently arts undergrads get twice as much nookie as science.

Comment

Working...
                    X