• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speeding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speeding

Hello all,

Was caught speeding on an A road, doing 53 with the limit 40. I got the "Notice of Intended Prosecution" and the matter went to court where I was given 3 points and £50 pounds fine. I paid the fine and sent my license for the points to be added, however, I received my license back without any endorsments added to it. I wonder why ....

In any case, my car insurance is to be renewed soon and I am not sure what I should tell them (if anything). Sometimes the question is : "Do you have endorsements on your license" , in this case the answer is no. Other times, "do you have any convictions", then the answer is yes.. If I reply yes, they ask me to put the code of the conviction as it shows on my license, but there is nothing there ....

Any views welcome

What you are really needing to know is whether the computer at DVLA thinks you have points or not.

There must be a way of asking if your licence still has points on it. ie. call the DVLA and ask them if your license is now clean. The DVLA will check on computer and if the answer is "yes" you are laughing.

Comment

PS why is this in light relief?

Comment

Licence.

I've always been asked about "convictions".
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          PS why is this in light relief?
          Apologies . I should have put it in General... I realised it too late

Comment

Originally posted by malandri
            In any case, my car insurance is to be renewed soon and I am not sure what I should tell them (if anything). Sometimes the question is : "Do you have endorsements on your license" , in this case the answer is no. Other times, "do you have any convictions", then the answer is yes.. If I reply yes, they ask me to put the code of the conviction as it shows on my license, but there is nothing there ....
            When I renewed last year, my insurers already knew about my endorsements! Maybe they ask you just to see if you're the upstanding, honest type, and if not, then "adjust" the premiums accordingly?
            The vegetarian option.

Comment

You're right there. A friend of mine made his insurance company very nervous when they found out about something that he genuinely forgot to tell them about. It puts the potential risk up for them.
              It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
                You're right there. A friend of mine made his insurance company very nervous when they found out about something that he genuinely forgot to tell them about. It puts the potential risk up for them.
                I don't see how it puts the risk up for the insurers. It just makes their standard response "material non disclosure now sod off".

Comment

The point is that they think you've lied. You may not have done so deliberately, but they can't tell that. They know you've lied because they have the information to hand to compare and they know you didn't disclose something which you should have.

Ergo... if you've lied about something on your application, you have probably lied about all sorts of things - things they don't know about... eg. mods to the vehicle, medical conditions, business use, .

They can only claim non-disclosure if those things subsequently come to light. They may not. They may have been unknowingly insuring a driver with, say, mental illness, which may not necessarily come to light at claim time, or ever.

Which is why there is an increased risk of insuring someone who lied to them.
                  It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Non-disclosure

Doesn't it work both ways ? Hence if they already know stuff about someone, should they disclose it to him ? What happened to the Data Protection Act ? I know DVLA has sold its database many times over but is there someone that oversees what goes on ?

Comment

Working...
                    X