• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Order of succession in England for the PM job?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Order of succession in England for the PM job?

Anybody know what the order of succession for the PM job would be if the prime minster was incapacitated? How long is the list for the UK? At what point do the military come into it? or the opposition!??!

Wikipedia, has for the US list at around 20 names. After that its secret as to what happens if none of the 20 names are around to fill the job.

UK would be..

1. Prime Minister
    2. Deputy Prime Minisiter

etc..

1. Rt Hon Tony Blair MP
    2. Rt Hon Gordon Brown MP
    3. Rt Hon Jack Straw MP
    4. Rt Hon Margaret Beckett MP
    5. Rt Hon Alistair Darling MP
    6. Rt Hon John Reid MP
    7. Rt Hon Patricia Hewitt MP
    8. Rt Hon Tessa Jowell MP
    9. Rt Hon Hilary Armstrong MP
    10. Rt Hon Peter Hain MP
    11. Rt Hon Baroness Amos
    12. Rt Hon Lord Falconer of Thoroton QC
    13. Rt Hon Hilary Benn MP
    14. Rt Hon Alan Johnson MP
    15. Rt Hon Ruth Kelly MP
    16. Rt Hon John Hutton MP
    17. Rt Hon David Miliband MP
    18. Rt Hon Des Browne MP
    19. Rt Hon Douglas Alexander MP
    20. Rt Hon Hazel Blears MP
    21. Rt Hon Jacqui Smith MP
    22. Stephen Timms MP

and finally

23. Rt Hon John Prescott MP

If it's raining. And a Tuesday. And there's electorate to punch. Or no minister to shag.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

It was Ruth 'Ol man river' Kelly's turn today maybe again tomorrow.

It's been a bit too white so I presume it'll be Baroness Valerie Amos later in the week. It cracks me up that they even boast about her 'Honorary Professorship' from Ealing College of Higher Education. She is another one who has never had a real job, so she is well qualified.

After that, I'll put my faith in it being Miss Hoolie from Balamory.
      Drivel is my speciality

Comment

I suspect something to do with our nonsense monarchy means we don't have this in the same way the Americans do. There's a right of succession amongst the monarchy, and the monarch in theory approves the government, so there's no need to have the right of succession for the PM job.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

If TB was incapacitated, JP would step in as Deputy PM.

If TB then dies , then NL have to elect a new Leader and the Queen would then ask that person to form a government (kiss hands).
          Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Comment

Working...
          X