• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently Active Users: 80 (2 members and 78 guests)
    View Who's Online
    BrowneIssue, sStevenRitziI

Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
      Currently Active Users: 80 (2 members and 78 guests)
      View Who's Online
      BrowneIssue, sStevenRitziI
      There is no user called "sStevenRitziI"
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

I have seen this happen before. Weird, innit?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          That was the plan... draw them in with the prospect of grazing on the sunlit green uplands of TPD, then take their post counts away and force them into servitude in the galleys of General.
          That was the plan all along??? The swines! And he looked like such a nice ferret, too.

O tempora, O mores
          It was ever thus.

Comment

This is what happens when you let developers create a user interface... well, apart from developers like me (and quite a few I've had the privilege of working with) who've actually learnt something about usability.
            At PreviousClientCo they were intending to put in a map-based interface for logging & reporting events. I saw the prototype and was appalled. Full colour OS backgrounds including polygons, overlaid with multi-colour infrastructure networks, multi-colour point data for assets and likewise for events but with dozens of different icons.

I explained that using every available colour is A Bad Thing and that we learned 20 years ago that four is the absolute maximum for all-day use, and preferably only two. I advised simple black line mapping, two-colour infrastructure network and two colours of icons as a maximum. Everything else should be a switchable layer.

"The world has moved on since then and people are more accustomed to seeing colours. Just because you dinosaurs could only see in green doesn't mean we have to."

You can tell 'em, but they don't listen.

Comment

You are a HelpFileBot and I claim my £5
              At PreviousPreviousClientCo I nearly got sacked for being helpful.

They rolled out a timesheet / planning system that was brain damaged.

We were given an email address to use for feedback - stupid, stupid, stupid me. How could I have been so foolish and not spotted the honeytrap?

I responded to it.

28 times.

With detailed bug reports (including "how to reproduce consistently" and "suggested causes"); workarounds; suggestions for enhancements; suggestions for the project's Lessons Learned Log.

I was carpeted by a senior manager for being negative and told the implementation team were too busy to get involved with that kind of detail.

It was made quite clear if I was caught saying anything else about this implementation I would be dismissed.

Subsequently there was the internal press release saying the was a complete success. It was actually a complete shambles.

Comment

Still, it's probably just a phase they're going through - back in the Seventies I used to have to put up with arrogant Southern ponces giving me grief for being from Liverpool.
                Meanwhile I was getting grief from arrogant Southern ponces for being from Manchester.

I get fed up with it in the end and taught myself to speak proper like wot they does.

Probably the most stupid thing I ever did. I am now lumbered with a bloody awful Norf London accent.

Comment

It only just occurred to me - by the fact that I'm posting about it here, it will become a self-documenting system! If you want to know about it, just search it
                  And you know what happens with self documenting systems, don't you?

"Ooh, it's gone down. Fetch the manual."
                  "Manual?"
                  "Yes, the reference manual. It is documented, isn't it?"
                  "Err, yeeeessss. Sort of."

Every Lotus Notes system I've used has had the documentation embedded in the Lotus Notes system.

Mind you, I've never known a Lotus Notes system not work. I'm sure it must happen, I've just never come across it.

Comment

Now the snowing has stopped, we've got a beautiful Simpsos' sky.

Brilliant blue with pure white, fluffy clouds.

And everywhere is covered in snow.

Merry Easter!

Comment

Currently Active Users: 85 (3 members and 82 guests)
                      View Who's Online
                      BrowneIssue, flistaliA, threaded

Morning, threaded!

Who is "flistaliA"? This keeps happening. Are these accounts created by someone with malicious intent?

Are there loads of people spidering CUK and grinding it to a halt?

Do the mods actually monitor the usage logs to see what accounts are doing what?

Comment

Working...
                      X