• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variants

[edit] Gallardo Spyder
    Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder
    Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder

The production spyder model of the Gallardo was unveiled at the Los Angeles Auto Show in January 2006. It is considered by the company to be an entirely new model, with 520 hp (388 kW) and a lower-ratio six-speed manual transmission. The soft top is fully retractable.

Aerosmith drummer Joey Kramer was the first person in North America to take delivery of the Gallardo Spyder.

Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson announced on 18 February 2007 that he had bought a Gallardo Spyder, replacing his Ford GT.

[edit] Gallardo SE

In late 2005, the Gallardo SE (for Special Edition) was introduced. The SE is distinguished from the regular Gallardo externally by having a black-roofed two-tone color scheme as well as specially designed "Callisto" rims shod with Pirelli tires. Mechanically, the SE addresses many of the criticisms of the original Gallardo; the steering is quicker and more responsive, the transmission gear ratios have been adjusted to better suit the V10, and the E-gear now has a "thrust mode" to optimize acceleration, and the car's power has been increased to 520 hp (388 kW). The SE has a higher top speed of 315 km/h (196 mph), and it accelerates to 100 km/h in 3.8 seconds. Only 250 units of the Gallardo SE will be produced. All the mechanical upgrades of the SE, however, will be included in all Gallardos after 2006 (excluding the two-tone bodywork).
    2006 Verde Ithaca Gallardo SE on Angeles Crest Hwy in Los Angeles.
    2006 Verde Ithaca Gallardo SE on Angeles Crest Hwy in Los Angeles.
    2006 Verde Ithaca Gallardo SE Interior.
    2006 Verde Ithaca Gallardo SE Interior.

The Gallardo SE comes with a two-tone interior. All piping and stitching on the ultra-quality leather are executed in the same color as the bodywork of the car. The mid sections of the seats are finished in color-coded upholstery and even the black floormats have a color coded borders.

A rear-view camera is also standard issue on the Gallardo SE, as is a multimedia system and a navigation system. The sport suspension and an exclusive cover also came with the car but there are still several other options available, like the E-gear, which featured a 'thrust' mode to offer even more impressive acceleration by improving the gearchange through the different gears.

This "thrust" mode actually automatically revs the car to 5,000 rpm, drops the clutch engaging all four wheels in a controlled burnout, and ensures the car performs maximum acceleration. This "launch" only requires the driver to engage the "thrust" mode and step on the gas pedal, similar to the launch technology in Formula 1 race cars.

[edit] Gallardo Nera

The Gallardo Nera (Special Edition) was introduced at Paris Motor Show. The Nera has a top speed of 314 km/h (195 mph), and it accelerates to 100 km/h in 4.0 seconds. Only 185 units of the Gallardo Nera will be produced and 60 are for the American market.

[edit] Gallardo Superleggera

Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera Image:Superleggera.jpg A special version of the Gallardo, dubbed the Superleggera will be launched at the 2007 Geneva Auto Show supposedly in preparation for the next Ferrari Challenge Stradale. The Superleggera is lighter than the base Gallardo by around 154 lbs (down to approximately 2999 lbs) thanks to the use of carbon fibre panels for the rear diffuser, undertray, the rearview-mirror housings, the interior door panels, the central tunnel, and the engine cover. The exhaust has been upgraded to release an exta 10hp for a total of 530hp. The lightening and extra power result in a 0-60 time of 3.8 seconds, 0.2 seconds faster than the base Gallardo. The 6-speed e-gear transmission, usually a US$ 10,000 option, now comes as a standard. The full price for a Superleggera with everything on it runs for $270,000. Lamborghini will begin offering the Gallardo Superleggera in June 2007.[5]

[edit] Specifications
    Performance
    Top speed: 309 km/h (192 mph)/327 km/h (204 mph) (Gallardo SE and 2006+)
    0 to 100 km/h (62 mph): 4.0 s / 3.8 s (Gallardo SE and 2006+)
    0 to 200 km/h (124 mph): 14.5 s
    Standing km: 22.5 s
    1/4 mile: 12.2 s at 118 mph (some SEs have run confirmed high 11s)
    Engine
    Type: V10
    Displacement: 5.0 L
    Power: 373 kW (500 bhp)/388 kW (520 bhp) Base
    Torque: 510 N·m
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

and cheese. that will please prc in particular.

Comment

Police car

In December 2004, several Gallardos were donated by Lamborghini to the Italian police in honor of the force's 152nd anniversary. The Gallardo Police Cars are used by the traffic police (Polizia Stradale) during emergencies and alarm situations on the Salerno-Reggio Calabria highway, also under the powers of the special safety operative which is already being employed along that tract of highway and above all, for the transport of body organs destined to transplants.

Yellow Gallardos have been "temporary" police cars for the Metropolitan Police in London, one in 2005 and one in 2006, for specific publicity events. The 2006 vehicle was seen at the start of the 2006 Gumball Rally. Both vehicles were lent by Lamborghini London and were fitted with yellow and blue Battenberg livery, police logos and a small blue lightbar.

Italian State Police Gallardo
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

hold it....
          SA says;
          Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          (whatever these are)

Comment

what about football teams and stats?

Comment

Ebola is both the common term used to describe a group of viruses belonging to genus Ebolavirus, family Filoviridae, and the common name for the disease which they cause, Ebola hemorrhagic fever. The virions are characterised by a long, filamentous morphology and surrounded by a lipid viral envelope. Ebolaviruses are morphologically similar to the Marburg virus, also in the family Filoviridae, and share similar disease symptoms. It has caused a number of serious and highly publicized outbreaks since its discovery, as well as featuring as the gruesome antagonist in many forms of entertainment.

Ebola is believed to be a zoonotic virus. Despite considerable effort by the World Health Organization no animal reservoir capable of sustaining the virus between outbreaks has been identified. However, it has been hypothesized that the most likely candidate is the fruit bat. In the absence of knowing where the reservoir lies, the World Health Organization has taken serious steps to ensure that all known Biosafety Level 4 agents (including Ebola) are carefully and properly contained.

Ebola hemorrhagic fever is potentially lethal and encompasses a range of symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, general body pain, internal and external bleeding, and fever. Mortality rates are generally high, ranging from 50% - 90%, with the cause of death usually due to hypovolemic shock or organ failure.

Because Ebola is potentially lethal and since no approved vaccine or treatment is available, Ebola is classified as a Biosafety Level 4 agent, as well as a Category A bioterrorism agent by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It has the potential to be weaponized for use during biological warfare and was investigated for this particular use by both the Soviet Union and the United States during the Cold War.

Comment

139 to go...
                SA says;
                Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                (whatever these are)

Comment

Etymology

The virus is named after the Ebola River Valley in the African nation-state of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (formerly Zaïre), near the site of the first recognized outbreaks in 1976.[1]

[edit] Structure
                  This section does not cite any references or sources.
                  Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. (help, get involved!)
                  Unverifiable material may be challenged and removed.
                  This article has been tagged since May 2007.
                  Electron micrograph of the filamentous structure of Ebola
                  Electron micrograph of the filamentous structure of Ebola

[edit] Size and shape

Electron micrographs of members of Ebolavirus show them to have the characteristic thread-like structure of a filovirus. The virions are variable in shape and may appear as a "U", "6", coiled, circular, or branched shape, however, laboratory purification techniques, such as centrifugation, may contribute to the various shapes seen. Virions are generally 80nm in diameter. They are variable in length, and can be up to 1400 nm long. On average, however, the length of a typical Ebola virus is closer to 1000 nm. In the center of the virion is a structure called nucleocapsid, which is formed by the helically wound viral genomic RNA complexed with the proteins NP, VP35, VP30 and L. It has a diameter of 40 – 50 nm and contains a central channel of 20 – 30 nm in diameter. Virally encoded glycoprotein (GP) spikes 10 nm long and 10 nm apart are present on the outer viral envelope of the virion, which is derived from the host cell membrane. Between envelope and nucleocapsid, in the so-called matrix space, the viral proteins VP40 and VP24 are located.

[edit] Genome

Each virion contains one minor molecule of linear, single-stranded, negative-sense RNA, totaling 18959 to 18961 nucleotides in length. The 3′ terminus is not polyadenylated and the 5′ end is not capped. It codes for seven structural proteins and one non-structural protein. The gene order is 3′ - leader - NP - VP35 - VP40 - GP/sGP - VP30 - VP24 - L - trailer - 5′; with the leader and trailer being non-transcribed regions which carry important signals to control transcription, replication and packaging of the viral genomes into new virions. The genomic material by itself is not infectious, because viral proteins, among them the RNA-dependent RNA polymerase, are necessary to transcribe the viral genome into mRNAs, as well as for replication of the viral genome.

Comment

or infant mortality rates over the last three decades in venezuela

Comment

Replication

The viral attachment protein recognizes specific receptors, which may be protein, carbohydrate or lipid, on the outside of the cell. The mechanism of virus entry into host cells is unknown, but it is reasonable to assume that the glycoprotein spikes on the surface of the virion would mediate the process, as they are the only transmembrane protein present on the surface. The two types of GP, the other being sGP, are specific for different cell types.

The virus next activates and releases its own genetic material, causing the host to begin manufacturing the proteins necessary for virus reproduction using its own resources. This replication continues until the cell ruptures and bursts. The virus is then spread to neighboring cells, and continues this chain of reproduction until masses of host cells are damaged. The host then may die soon after. The spread of the virus through the population can be halted if the proper sterilization and quarantine measures are taken, as the only method by which the virus may continue to propagate is via direct contact with body fluids. In order for a successful infection the virus must first evade the immune system. One of the ways it does this is by inhibiting interferon activity. VP24 blocks IFN-α/β and IFN-γ signaling by interacting with karyopherin α1, the nuclear localization signal receptor for tyrosine-phosphorylated STAT1, preventing the formation of an interferon induced antiviral state. Another protein, VP35, blocks the transcription factor interferon regulatory factor 3 (IRF-3), which is important for the expression of IFN-α/β.

Ebola and Marburg viruses have RNA single base substitution rates approximately a hundred times slower than retroviruses and human influenza A virus. This significant difference is due to their replication with their own RNA-dependent RNA polymerases, as compared with rapidly mutating RNA viruses that use the error prone reverse transcriptase in their replication, such as HIV. This means ebola is, and will remain, genetically stable.[2] Chances of enough base mutations leading to formation of a new protein allowing airborne transmission are insignificant.

Comment

Working...
                      X