• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

Morning
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Morning
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I think the problem was that it had particularly plump and firm thighs, notably where they extend underneath it near to the spine.
            Sounds like Christina Hendricks

Bon appetit Monsieur Fitz.
            Last edited by Mich the Tester; 6 August 2014, 07:19.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              30 mins per 500g weight of the bird, plus thirty minutes.

Wrap in foil and cook for all but the last 30 mins at 180. Open the foil and cook at max temp for the last 30 mins. Then rest. That way the oven is hot ready for the potatoes and the chicken will be cooked and rested by the time they are done. Works every time.
              I do 20 mins per lb at 200, with an extra 20 at the end doing the same foil thing.

Also might be an idea to get yourself an oven thermometer, most ovens will not be up to temperature at all or even reach the temp you've set it to.

My ovens are only 6 months old and the oven states its up to temperature but according to the thermometer it still has another 50 degrees to go before it reaches it.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

As for spuds, I still haven't found a type here that will roast crispy on the outside.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  As for spuds, I still haven't found a type here that will roast crispy on the outside.
                  'Bloemig' potatoes are better for that than 'vastkokend', but no, none are really great for getting a crispy outside; I use a mixture of duck fat and whatever scrapings and drippings I have from bacon, roasted meat and so on and can get them reasonably crispy but need the oven >250 degrees.

Comment

Oh yeah, on roasting cloggy spuds; it helps if you first quickly fry the floured spuds in the mix-up of fats you've got in a shallow frying pan; not long, just a quick 'flash fry' to get the crust started, then chuck them in the oven. I know none of this is optimal, but after 20 years of experimenting with Dutch produce to try and make the food I like, I've learned to live with a few of these tricks. The key is; don't be too purist about cooking here; do what's necessary to get the result.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      Oh yeah, on roasting cloggy spuds; it helps if you first quickly fry the floured spuds in the mix-up of fats you've got in a shallow frying pan; not long, just a quick 'flash fry' to get the crust started, then chuck them in the oven. I know none of this is optimal, but after 20 years of experimenting with Dutch produce to try and make the food I like, I've learned to live with a few of these tricks. The key is; don't be too purist about cooking here; do what's necessary to get the result.
                      Me? Not purist about cooking! Never going to happen.

I did find a type that went crispy once, the downside is Albert Heijn or any other supermarket for that matter have no consistency whatsoever in what they stock.

I use a mix of duck fat and whatever else is left over from the last roast, par boil the spuds, then rough them up to break up the outside, and place them in the pre-heated fat.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X