• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    We went to the Librije a couple of months ago (3*) and frankly, I can't be arsed with all that Michelin starred food any more. I don't want to have to pick apart a piece of abstract art to get at a single steamed bean hiding in the middle, I don't like toilet duck flavoured sorbet, and frankly I think it's all got fook all to do with food.

I grew up eating liver with onions, hare stewed in red wine, pollo alla cacciatore, trout fresh from the lake or river, mushrooms from the woods, juicy over-ripe Italian tomatoes with some basil and oil (sod the vinegar if the tomatoes are ripe) and my attitude to food is to get good ingredients and do as little as possible to them. The more work the chef does the more chance he has of ruining it. Maybe I'm a philistine, but I'm a well fed philistine that's just eaten some fegato alla limone washed down with a bottle of slightly cooled Dolcetto, and I really do prefer that to the poncey stuff at 3* restaurants.
    I quite enjoy the fun element of some of these restaurants, but have had two very expensive disappointments at 2 different michelin star places recently. Though Ivy in Rotterdam and also De Brouwerskolkje were really enjoyable ( Ivy more so, as we got 3 free extra courses and loads of free wine as the head chef had done a stage at the same place as I had, so cooked stuff specially for us ).

We are however going to Hof van Cleve for our 10th anniversary though.

I did have an astounding meal in Italy at a Michelin starred place, fantastic food and ingredients, awesome view of the lake, it was up in the mountains. We had the restaurant to ourselves for most of the meal as we had gone there earlier in the evening.

It is a far cry from growing up on veg boiled within an inch of their lives, meat cooked till dry. Though I used to go out foraging, fishing and shooting for food ( and then getting anyone else than my mother to cook it as she would ruin everything).
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      The bloke who runs this place gave up 2 michelin stars because he was bored of all the bollox that has less and less to do with food, so now he runs a fairly reasonably priced bar just selling stuff that tastes good;

Ron Gastrobar

Oh, and there's a good restaurant in Haarlem run by a bloke who gave up one michelin star for the same reason
      I have a bone to pick with Ron Blauw, we had a really tulip meal at his 2* place a week before he closed it.

Still the taxi driver on the way home made up for it, turns out he was a rugby player and played for both Bath and the Dutch rugby team.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

ROTFLMFAO.

Meeting with Human Remains twat:

He doesn't like my attitude.

Meeting was cancelled by email yesterday though it doesn't explicitly say that.

Two complaints to go to Alan Thomas the compliance officer:

Being rude to the people at the surgery.

Me not kowtowing appropriately to the Great I Am down in Human Remains.

As I said before, bring it on.

Which will be followed shortly by "Go ahead, make my day".

As I said before, ROTFLMFAO.

Guy's a moron of the first order as one might expect.

Just as well we're not in Texas really.

Or one of us wouldn't be walking out of that room.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

or

I certainly don't want a black eye my my work pass

am pee'd off as I put an ice pack on immediately, took ibuprofen, yet I still have a stonker
          Yes.

But how's yer eye?

Comment

ooooh! any news?
            See above.

The twat actually thinks he's got power over me.

I suspect he didn't like me smirking at him either.

I've been winding twats like him up for 30 or more years, so I've had plenty of practice.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
              Yes.

But how's yer eye?

An interesting shade of dark blue and green, that seems impervious to make up

Norrahe's blog

Comment

See above.

The twat actually thinks he's got power over me.

I suspect he didn't like me smirking at him either.

I've been winding twats like him up for 30 or more years, so I've had plenty of practice.
                so what time you leaving then?

Norrahe's blog

Comment

It is a far cry from growing up on veg boiled within an inch of their lives
                  But surely cabbage must be boiled for at least 2 hours to make sure a) it's really dead and b) all that nasty vitamin C is dead too.

Bicarbonate of Soda helps with b) of course.

Comment

so what time you leaving then?
                    Oh it'll take ages & ages to go through all the swings & roundabouts.

During which time I have the opportunity to wind the twat up even more.

Looking at the disciplinary procedure, it'll amount to a written warning.

I'm hoping for the sack though.

You get that for punching out the Human Remains Director.

Do you think they'd notice if I went in their inner sanctum with boxing gloves on?

Comment

But surely cabbage must be boiled for at least 2 hours to make sure a) it's really dead and b) all that nasty vitamin C is dead too.

Bicarbonate of Soda helps with b) of course.

You went to the same cooking skool as my mother

I only discovered later in life that beef could be nice if it was cooked rare as opposed to cremated.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X