• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Ah, I probably had more of the practical work experience side and tasting side as well as the book stuff.

For both ( beginners and intermediate) courses I think we tasted about 200 wines and then there were about 50 when I did my week stagier. I do go to a lot of trade wine tastings and general organised ones.

You'll still have done a lot of the food and wine matching ( I know I did when I did the course).

Or you go with the old, have what you like, rather than what goes with the food.
    We too tasted plenty - probably why I don't remember much!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      We too tasted plenty - probably why I don't remember much!
      Most of my tastings were in the morning and then we had to go and cook in the kitchen in the afternoons
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Most of my tastings were in the morning and then we had to go and cook in the kitchen in the afternoons
        Just went and found my certificate - it definitely says "WSET Higher Certificate (in Wines, Spirits and Liqueurs)" but I can't find any evidence of such a thing ever existing - there's an International Higher Certificate, and an Advanced award. Mind you, it was 2000, so guess it's all probably changed. IIRC, we spent many boring weeks learning about appellations - and I even remember some of it. But I still nearly always choose the house red, the cheapest, the Rioja, the Shiraz or something Italian

Comment

Time to feed the collective, they're giving me "vague" hints that it might be teatime

Also time for some fizz, bought a bottle of billecart salmon in the duty free to celebrate being back in cloggers.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Friend just phoned - his popping round with my (belated) birthday present. Hoping it's chocolate!

Comment

Just went and found my certificate - it definitely says "WSET Higher Certificate (in Wines, Spirits and Liqueurs)" but I can't find any evidence of such a thing ever existing - there's an International Higher Certificate, and an Advanced award. Mind you, it was 2000, so guess it's all probably changed. IIRC, we spent many boring weeks learning about appellations - and I even remember some of it. But I still nearly always choose the house red, the cheapest, the Rioja, the Shiraz or something Italian
              I got mine in 2005, did both of them while doing the chefs course, I have the beginners and intermediate in wines and spirits ( so probably known as level 1 and 2), we also had a course thrown in from the beer academy as well.

All I know is that the course has contributed to me now spending a small fortune on wine

Norrahe's blog

Comment

NorPussIII report:

Much better today, is now able to make it up and down the stairs without being carried and seems to be on track back to normal, he's eating lots and is off the recovery food.

Lets hope that once he comes off the antibiotics and anti inflammatories that he doesn't get ill again.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Did you do a blind tasting, as that is what the advanced or higher certificate would have in the exam?

Norrahe's blog

Comment

NorPussIII report:

Much better today, is now able to make it up and down the stairs without being carried and seems to be on track back to normal, he's eating lots and is off the recovery food.

Lets hope that once he comes off the antibiotics and anti inflammatories that he doesn't get ill again.
                    Go Norpuss III!

Did you do a blind tasting, as that is what the advanced or higher certificate would have in the exam?
                    IIRC, there was a long multi-guess paper, and a written bit where we had to write a tasting note for a Nuits Saint Georges or an Alsace Riesling. I remember the former because I hadn't a clue beyond 'France' and 'red', and the latter because I remember waffling about a petrolly nose. No actual tasting in the exam. At the time we were told it was equivalent to an A level, which I believe is level 3. Sounds like it's different now - at least with an actual tasting you're not guessing when it comes to colour, and you've got a chance of getting some of the right buzzwords on smell/taste, even if you hit on completely the wrong wine at the end.

Edit: Found it - http://www.wsetglobal.com/about_us/credentials/43.asp

Looks like the higher certificate ran from 1969 - 2000, so I guess I must have been among the last to do it. They probably changed the assessment at the same time.
                    Last edited by mudskipper; 17 February 2013, 11:22.

Comment

Morning!

Went out to Clapham last night with a young lady, who quite frankly looked stunning, and had the most superb Thai meal. We're hopefully going to an Italian next week.

She's a bit adorable to be honest!

What the hell is going on with hyperD's lovelife all of a sudden!?!?!?
                      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                      X