• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Much cheapness; Plenty Quickness.

Indeed, but solving this will be much slowness and plenty expensiveness. What a bloody mess.

Now they talk of restoring a full DB back up, which could take a couple of days, and would eliminate all work carried out by 5 other projects in the last 4 days (as full back up is from the weekend).

Thanks Bob, your incompetence will pay for my lobster supper this evening.

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

**** me, what a ******* day.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Late breaking news:

There's lights on in the Skool.

I wonder if the inmates have broken in to burn it down.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

**** me, what a ******* day.
          I feel your pain brother.

Let it out, you will feel better.

Comment

Wordpress doesn't run properly on the current host (admin pages broke, but site is OK). Asked them last night whether JSON was enabled on that version of PHP, as that seems to be the problem.

First reply - the site looks fine, what's the problem?

Asked them if JSON was enabled.

Second reply - no, it isn't

Told them I was annoyed because they told me to upgrade, and now it's broken.

Third reply - yes, it is enabled. Must be something wrong with your site.

Told them that I'd copied it to another host, and it runs fine there.

Fourth reply - try to reapply the change and see if that works.

Tried to reapply the change - performance is so slow, it timed out. Leaving the site in maintenance mode that I couldn't get it out of.

Got it out of maintenance mode, setup FTP and started to FTP the files across. 10.3MB to upload, 1.75Mbps upload speed from speedtest.net. 15 minutes into it, and it's uploaded 76 files (24 failures, 836 to go) becauser FTP keeps timing out.

Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I am delighted to report that today's complete lack of progress has been 100% billable. I'm off to drink to that.

Bye bye!

Comment

Don't even start me on the client discussions today.....
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Don't even start me on the client discussions today.....
                  Think of the money!

Comment

I have an API called something like HasPersonGotAuthority, which returns a true/false to the third party application.

Third party process (simplified):

Approval happens
                    Call HasPersonGotAuthority.
                    IF TRUE THEN END
                    ELSE
                    Call GetNextApprover
                    END IF

Project Manager wants to modify the API design so that when the API is called, it implicitly updates a history table to show that that person MUST have approved, otherwise the API wouldn't get called.

I explained a few different ways that including this in here was a BAD IDEA because if anyone sees the API and assumes that all it does is check the authority and calls it (e.g. a support person doing a check), then it f*cks the approval process completely.

PM can't see an issue with including it (basically he doesn't want to have to move from two APIs to three!)

The development lead has backed me. In the end I said "You're the client, so if you tell me to do it, I'll do it. But I think this is an incredibly dangerous thing to do", so they said do it

Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

15 minutes into it, and it's uploaded 76 files (24 failures, 836 to go) becauser FTP keeps timing out.

Another five minutes - 88 successful uploads, 35 failures, 813 to go....
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X