• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evening all*

*I may not be allowed to use that expression for much longer; apparently it may offend some ethnic minorities for reasons that completely escape me.

Or so I read somewhere.

Though that may have been a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Am I the only person who keeps the original packaging for things in case they need to be returned, and still has it all five years later?
      Er

No.

I've got cardboard boxes that stuff came in that are full of cardboard boxes that stuff came in.

Some of the stuff has gone the way of all things electronic in the mean time.

Comment

IAm I the only person who keeps the original packaging for things
        No. We move so often that I keep the original boxes for such things as monitors, the fax machine, the printers and various other items.

I also filled the shredder twice, without getting rid of any documents of note.
        Then why shred them? Or does your council take shredded paper? (Very few do.)

Assorted old PCs have now been removed to the recycling area in the kitchen, ready to have any remaining components of possible use removed before being taken to the tip.
        Hmm. That's why I have 6 A4 paper boxes full of cables, screws, old drives and other crap going back at least 15 years.

It would have been longer but I accidentally left my ZX Spectrums (Spectra?) with printer, software, metal paper and other bits in a loft in a previous house somewhere.

With all that done, I am one step closer to having the space for the big bookcase I bought about a month ago to be assembled.
        The big bookcase which went out of production last week meaning the missing floggle toggle can now not be obtained?

I have two self-assembly desks and two self-assembly bookcases which are now held together with little angle brackets. Far easier, cheaper, quicker and safer than the weird mentalist screwy-pole-into-spiral-grub-screw affairs they want you to use.

The only thing standing in my way now is the huge box of papers that was packed when I left Cheltenham in 2000, and has been following me around ever since - it originally contained suitcases, that's how big it is

I may need to get a bigger shredder
        What you need is a house fire in the middle of the week. A few times when we have been packing / unpacking I have wished for a fire to magically convert everything into a cheque.
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

As part of some "bargain" when I bought a laptop in 2000, I got a laptop case, a Lexmark printer and a usb scanner.

The usb scanner sat behind the desk for 8 years until I took it into work.

Naturally enough, the software with it wouldn't work on anything newer than NT4 & Win98

Fortunately, the manufacturers website provided more up to date offerings

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

Evening all*

*I may not be allowed to use that expression for much longer; apparently it may offend some ethnic minorities for reasons that completely escape me.
            I don't see why. "all" seems fairly inclusive to me.
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

In fact, now I come to think of it, I have rather a lot of boxes full of stuff that have never been opened.

Can't resist a bargain

Comment

Apparently the plod may also be avoiding the terms "child" or "children" from now on.

For equally obscure ethnic reasons .

Comment

Mind how you go

Comment

Apparently the plod may also be avoiding the terms "child" or "children" from now on.

For equally obscure ethnic reasons .
                    indeed.

Comment

It was very quiet in here today.

Comment

Working...
                      X