• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Radio 4's best bits are:

1) the 18:30 comedy slot Mon-Fri. Just A Minute and I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue are all-time classics that have been going for decades. Once you are into them, they can be pant-wettingly funny. Comedy is also hidden all over the place on the R4 schedules. R4 is where the BBC trials new comedy. Many successful BBC comedy & news programmes started on Radio 4.

2) The Archers. BEWARE: If you are susceptible to soaps, The Archers is more addictive than crack cocaine. There are people who have resigned rather than have their hours changed because it would stop them listening to The Archers on the car radio at the end of lunchtime.

3) The Afternoon Play. A mixed bag. Often dull, frequently brilliant.

4) All the other stuff. Radio 4 has all the intellectual and cerebral stuff but it is presented for a 'normal' audience. The statistics programme, More or Less, is a classic example of a programme that presents very complex information in a very understandable way. One series of More or Less will completely change your view of news reporting for life.

It is worth being on the bench for a few weeks just so you can experience Radio 4.

Avoid the tedious afternoon news analysis PM. Also, Today in the mornings is best avoided - it's too far up its own arse. Today listeners think they are changing the world by hearing rude presenters be rude to politicians.

Also, don't bother with Woman's Hour - that is meant for bitter, lonely, mentalist feminists, feminist-wannabes and menopausal barren spinsters. Listen to one and you'll see what I mean.

Oh, I nearly forgot:

5) The Shipping Forecast. NickFitz can expand on that old but dearly-loved British institution.
    That is most people's reaction. "Oh, there really IS a Radio 3? Fancy that!"

Classic FM broadcasts popular classical music. It is looked down upon by Radio 3 listeners. Radio 3 can be hard work. It can be good for the Proms and far too occasionally does "Introduction to Classical Music" programmes which should not be missed.
    I might just have to give it a blast -

I quite like the shipping forecast - reminds me of RH, he has the poshest voice ever!!
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      Go maith, go raibh maith agat.

Oiche Mhaith!
      Slan
      Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        My excuse is that I'm foreign
        evenin' Cailin conas ata tu anocht
        Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        Ta me go maith, go raibh maith agat! Conas a ta tu fein?
        Go maith, go raibh maith agat.

Oiche Mhaith!
        Sorry, who's foreign?
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Sorry, who's foreign?
          Que?
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Sorry, who's foreign?
            Nothing to see here - move along please
            Bazza gets caught

Comment

Evening all

A discussion on UK Radio Stations & a discussion in Irish.

Amazing.

Only on TPD.

Cymru am Byth.

Or something.

Comment

MOTIVATIONAL VIDEO

Not terribly Safe-ish For Work (but does make a noise)

Got things to do? Need to be going ZOOOOM! ?

Linky.
                Last edited by RichardCranium; 29 September 2009, 21:47. Reason: Revised the SFW --> NSFW status
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

Evening all

A discussion on UK Radio Stations & a discussion in Irish.
                  Oh, is that what it was?

Amazing.

Only on TPD.

Cymru am Byth.
                  It's working out that way, slowly, a day at a time.

Or something.
                  Watch out for those 'or somethings'. They can get you into trouble.

Comment

I wonder if CM's had her shopping delivered yet.

Comment

Radio 4's best bits are:

1) the 18:30 comedy slot Mon-Fri. Just A Minute and I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue are all-time classics that have been going for decades. Once you are into them, they can be pant-wettingly funny. Comedy is also hidden all over the place on the R4 schedules. R4 is where the BBC trials new comedy. Many successful BBC comedy & news programmes started on Radio 4.

2) The Archers. BEWARE: If you are susceptible to soaps, The Archers is more addictive than crack cocaine. There are people who have resigned rather than have their hours changed because it would stop them listening to The Archers on the car radio at the end of lunchtime.

3) The Afternoon Play. A mixed bag. Often dull, frequently brilliant.

4) All the other stuff. Radio 4 has all the intellectual and cerebral stuff but it is presented for a 'normal' audience. The statistics programme, More or Less, is a classic example of a programme that presents very complex information in a very understandable way. One series of More or Less will completely change your view of news reporting for life.

It is worth being on the bench for a few weeks just so you can experience Radio 4.

Avoid the tedious afternoon news analysis PM. Also, Today in the mornings is best avoided - it's too far up its own arse. Today listeners think they are changing the world by hearing rude presenters be rude to politicians.

Also, don't bother with Woman's Hour - that is meant for bitter, lonely, mentalist feminists, feminist-wannabes and menopausal barren spinsters. Listen to one and you'll see what I mean.

Oh, I nearly forgot:

5) The Shipping Forecast. NickFitz can expand on that old but dearly-loved British institution.
                      I mostly agree.

Radio 4 used to be the background noise of choice for me when I wasn't working - much better than daytime television.

The "Today" programme is the mandatory morning news channel for the establishment. I don't think it is too bad. Some of their April Fool's stories have been entertaining.

I quite enjoyed the PM show because Eddie Mair can be quite a sarcastic sod. He gets flak though because his interviewing style is not very probing.

The comedy is rather good. I have been to see some of the shows being recorded in central London which is always a good night's entertainment.

I always used to switch it off at 7pm though because I didn't want to listen to the Archers.

I still listen to a lot of the Radio 4 stuff over the internet because I miss it.

I see Milton Jones is on at 11:30. I shall listen to it live because I think he is brilliant. It's a repeat and I have heard it before but no matter. A barrage of one-liner word plays.

There are some clips of him doing stand up on YouTube and you see that his repetoire is not very extensive, but no matter. I shall have a good chukle.

Comment

Working...
                      X